29 Gallons of Eye Candy

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I apologize if I missed it... Do you mind sharing your Steve's LED's thoughts? What % you're running, how do the Nem/Fish/Coral like it, and how do you like the Hurricane controller? I have a 32 BioCube and am leaning toward Steve's replacement.

Thanks!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if I missed it... Do you mind sharing your Steve's LED's thoughts? What % you're running, how do the Nem/Fish/Coral like it, and how do you like the Hurricane controller? I have a 32 BioCube and am leaning toward Steve's replacement.

Thanks!
Been about 3 weeks now give or take.

Pros: Bright, quiet, nice shimmer, sustains coral well (I think), controller is nice once familiar with it.
Cons: Just blue and white spectrum (no red, green, etc.), two holes cut in hood for ventilation (looking to add a mesh screen of sorts maybe).

Overall I think these are great and a perfect addition for maintaining the use of the hood still. Not sure what percent I'm at to be honest, tweaked settings until I found something I liked. Although very soon still, Nem and SPS seem to like the light, time will tell. Controller took some getting used to, now I really like it and very easy to navigate. Wish it hooked to my phone though.

I think its a must for these tanks if you still want to maintain the existing hood. Hope this helps.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I appreciate that. Not really here for comments or likes just feel like it’s a one way conversation.
No worries though.
I think in general it's a dark time as far as community atmosphere in reefing. Most of it feels very individualized now.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I appreciate that. Not really here for comments or likes just feel like it’s a one way conversation.
No worries though.
Honestly I think it's all depends on when you post. Most people have probably turned off the email notifications as if you're notified of posts you follow you're constantly bombarded with emails.

On my little thread it's a crap shoot, sometimes I get comments, sometimes I get a thumbs up, sometimes nothing. In my mind it's also a bit therapeutic to document what is going on in my reef tank, and a way to look back at how it started, and where it ends up.

Back when I had my BioCube, I took that thing through many different changes over the 3 years that I had it, and it's cool to go back and look at things.

Looking forward to watching this tank mature!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think it's all depends on when you post. Most people have probably turned off the email notifications as if you're notified of posts you follow you're constantly bombarded with emails.

On my little thread it's a crap shoot, sometimes I get comments, sometimes I get a thumbs up, sometimes nothing. In my mind it's also a bit therapeutic to document what is going on in my reef tank, and a way to look back at how it started, and where it ends up.

Back when I had my BioCube, I took that thing through many different changes over the 3 years that I had it, and it's cool to go back and look at things.

Looking forward to watching this tank mature!
It’s weird posting now as much as I do vs two years ago and even two years before that. Going back on these forums, even 3reef before everyone there merged here, the traffic was wild. Still posting and documenting builds are the only way to preserve the history we see these tanks evolve through. Keep posting.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ups and downs of reef life.

My dotty back is going on a killing spree and murdering all the hermits. My wife and kids tried adding a peppermint shrimp and he killed it with in minutes. Will catch it and re-home.

Steve's LEDs seem to have bleeched a couple of my coral that were to high in the column so they had to be moved down, seems like they will be just fine.

Some weird algae growth is happening that I am battling daily. I seem to be able to keep it under control. Think the lighting is the culprit.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind sharing what settings you have on your Steve's?
I somewhat answered this in post #103. Ill will try to dive into this a bit more and give a better answer.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During Water Change Wednesday I removed all my rock and drained most the water. My Dottyback was caught and has been re-homed.

Aquascape changed a bit. Similar concept as before. More openings.

For those asking about my Steve’s LEDs settings, here’s my two channels.

IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg
IMG_2701.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During Water Change Wednesday I removed all my rock and drained most the water. My Dottyback was caught and has been re-homed.

Aquascape changed a bit. Similar concept as before. More openings.

For those asking about my Steve’s LEDs settings, here’s my two channels.

IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg
IMG_2701.jpeg
New aquascape looks great!

stalkem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! I'm 5 months into my first SW tank... an Oceanic Biocube 29 HQI (so I have the glass top and canopy lights) that a friend gave me.

You're not worried about the BTA moving about and damaging corals? So far I have 1 torch and 1 hammer glued to the rocks, and then 6 mystery zoas that haven't been placed anywhere yet.

I had my Hi Fin jump into Chamber 3. Idk how or when it managed it... the HQI has little back chamber covers that only leave the tiniest spot open to route tubes or wires, but he must have managed to get through it. He was pretty stressed, but luckily an easy capture to get back to the display.

Watching for future updates! Check out my tank thread, if my screw-ups (I mean updates) can help you out at all!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! I'm 5 months into my first SW tank... an Oceanic Biocube 29 HQI (so I have the glass top and canopy lights) that a friend gave me.

You're not worried about the BTA moving about and damaging corals? So far I have 1 torch and 1 hammer glued to the rocks, and then 6 mystery zoas that haven't been placed anywhere yet.

I had my Hi Fin jump into Chamber 3. Idk how or when it managed it... the HQI has little back chamber covers that only leave the tiniest spot open to route tubes or wires, but he must have managed to get through it. He was pretty stressed, but luckily an easy capture to get back to the display.

Watching for future updates! Check out my tank thread, if my screw-ups (I mean updates) can help you out at all!
Ill take a look at your thread.

I have a good amount of experience with BTAs, at one time having well over 50 in my 220 gallon. Not worried about the BTA moving. Its been in the same spot for three weeks now and hasn't moved. I think the idea that the clowns moved in, it helped the BTA stay in place. And if for some reason it decides to move, Ill just move the coral, no worries.

Now that the Dottyback is in a new home, I will look to add new fish, just have to do more diligence into not getting another fish that will need to be removed at some point. It was my fault.

New aquascape looks great!
Thank you. I took the original idea and created more caves and bridges, hard to see in that photo. Lets hope this is the second and last time this gets revised. Not a fan of moving things like this esp when the tank is starting to take shape and getting some life into it.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions after unloading the Dottyback

Royal Gamma Basslet (daughter)
Black Molly (wife)
Peppermint Shrimp (son)
Emerald Crab (son)
Several Small Hermits (wife)

Hawkins Echinata (me, also favorite coral)

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting twist in the 29 Gallons of Eye Candy.

The Basslet is a bully and needs to go. Last night, I pulled all the rock and caught said fish. He will be going back to the fish store tomorrow.

New plan is to add sand. I will look to trade the Basslet for a Goby of some sorts.

The frustrations of small fish and their aggressive behavior led me to a goby.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we went through another major change to the tank. Pretty excited about this and hope its the last major change for a while.

20 lbs of Pink Fiji sand was added. A captive bread Yellow Watchman Goby paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

After the sand has cleared, I can spot the YWG, but have not seen the shrimp yet. Once the lights come on, I will follow with an update.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back