29gal Sump Issue

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a new 29gal sump that is also a fugium. I'm concerned about my water level in the sump when running and when my pumps are off. When the pumps are off my sump fills about 1/2" from the top, this kinda bothers me. I would like to lower the water level in the sump but not sure how to do this.
005.jpg
013.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can simply just scoop or suction some of the water out. Is this what you meant? Also I wouldn't take too much out if it can handle it.

OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would have to cut the dividers lower in my refugium.

todd141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine fills to within about 1.5" to 2" from the top. You could drill a hole in the return line nozzle, right above the output nozzle to stop the siphon sooner (closer to the water's edge.) That's what I did. (I actually drilled 2 holes because sometimes snails crawl around up there.

Something else you could check is how low into the display tank is the return nozzle - and if it is really low - deep, it will continue to siphon until it hits air. So just raise it some.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump5-1.jpg

My sump is a 30G and I run it about 2/3 full at all times which leaves me a little over 8 gallons of spare room to contain backflow. In my case the returns are 3/4" under the display water surface so siphon a maximum of 3.5 gallon back before breaking suction and the backflow quits. The tall baffle on the right is my refugium which is teed off the overflow using a 1/2" line and the main flow goes to the center section via a 1" line.

OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump5-1.jpg

My sump is a 30G and I run it about 2/3 full at all times which leaves me a little over 8 gallons of spare room to contain backflow. In my case the returns are 3/4" under the display water surface so siphon a maximum of 3.5 gallon back before breaking suction and the backflow quits. The tall baffle on the right is my refugium which is teed off the overflow using a 1/2" line and the main flow goes to the center section via a 1" line.

How tall are your dividers in you sump?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will need to measure to be sure but I believe they were 8" with the center one 2" off the bottom so 10" to the top of the center baffle.

Magiksurfman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like you have an auto top-off in the return section, if you keep it where it is, you can take water out and drill holes wherever but your water level will stay the same in the sump. If you can, try and move it down lower so that the water level in the return compartment is lower. This will lower the amount of water in the sump when its running normally and will give you more space for when the return pump is off, not by much, but a gallon or two more of breathing room is an improvement. What are your the dividers made of glass or acrylic?

hmm saw your other thread just gonna overhaul the sump altogether eh?

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back