2Sunny's 240 Coral Garden Cube

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just made my day! One of my most favorite reefs of all time!!

Update 1 year later . . .

FTSc_zpsweuxtidn.jpg

ZooColony_zpsd6qguir4.jpg
Chalice_zps0lw8vvmq.jpg
Pearlberry1_zps4fecttgg.jpg
Tubbs_zpsyodhxyo3.jpg

Endoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times did you dip your coral? Did you put them back in with new rock immediately, or did you keep them in a quarantine tank? I'm deciding what to do--I found AEFW on one frag that was in my display, but everything else looks fine.

Thanks!

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you source your livestock from? Aside from the maintenance I feel healthy specimens are a key to success! Great system. I just went through the whole thread.

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

How many times did you dip your coral? Did you put them back in with new rock immediately, or did you keep them in a quarantine tank? I'm deciding what to do--I found AEFW on one frag that was in my display, but everything else looks fine.

Thanks!

I actually ended up dipping only once, but that one time included taking down the entire reef, pulling out ALL the rock and livestock, dipping every coral and breaking them off their bases, AND using ALL new rock.

Where do you source your livestock from? Aside from the maintenance I feel healthy specimens are a key to success! Great system. I just went through the whole thread.

Most of my corals I have had for a long time and have grown them from frag to colony multiple times. A few frags came from well know collectors such as John Coppolino, and several corals came from LiveAquaria.com. I won't buy from Live Aquaria any more because my last shipment including a frag with AEFWs on them.

Very vice Joe! Congrats on slaying those AEFW!

Thanks Keith! I am super impressed with your current setup. You are an amazing addition to this hobby and I love the YouTube videos!!

Gorgeous if that nem ever splits please keep me in mind that my dream nem and never had luck finding a nice purple base magnificent.

If it ever splits I'll keep you in mind ;)

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the giant live rock sump and do you still think that's the key to your success? Do you have any new philosophies in regards to husbandry that have changed since you first started this thread?

I'm excited to see you are back from AEFW. I can't imagine where this thread will be in 2 years. After going thru what you have and still going strong, I think your best days are ahead. Much respect!

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Keith! I am super impressed with your current setup. You are an amazing addition to this hobby and I love the YouTube videos!!
Thanks Joe! Keep the updates coming....you are a tremendous asset yourself. A very inspirational tank!

Matze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love a cube like this :)
Your Chromis looked great. I want a group for my tank too now.

Please keep us updated :)

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2019....any updates, please?;Peeking;Peeking;Peeking
Thanks for the kind words!

Just starting out with my latest redo so still a ways to go in terms of filling in, but I have some incredible corals I bought from Jason Fox and Big E, and I expect the tank will look amazing again in a year or two. I'm truly fascinated at how healthy everything is now that I'm down to an ultra-simple system with just a skimmer and a sump. I did have a problem twice in the last 2 weeks with cloudy water due to overdosing Red Sea NoPOx, but I bought a cheapy UV and it took care of the problem. I'll try to get some decent macro's soon. The corals do look great up close. Thanks again. Joe :D

sump.JPG

Last edited:

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, you've had some beautiful tanks. How did you get those nems to stay put? Always move around on me. This was yours right? What kind of a shape/surface do they want and does putting them up high make them not want to move?

One more question for you, do you have any pics of what your bare rock scape looked like from the 2010 pic? Thanks!

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, you've had some beautiful tanks. How did you get those nems to stay put? Always move around on me. This was yours right? What kind of a shape/surface do they want and does putting them up high make them not want to move?

One more question for you, do you have any pics of what your bare rock scape looked like from the 2010 pic? Thanks!

Hi L,

My first 'nem I surrounded with cheap corals like a birds nest colony so it couldn't move but back then I had a ton of colonies. Most recently I put my newest 'nem on a rock that I could move and I would just reposition it back to top center every time it moved until it finally gave up and stopped moving. I think its been about 6 weeks or so since the last time my new 'nem has moved. For sure it takes work to try and find a happy spot. If I were starting over I think I would build my rock work and put the 'nem in first and then start building my reef once it settled down. I always assumed H. Mags preferred smooth rocks since they seem to very often end up on the glass, but this new 'nem seems to prefer regular craggy rock.

I'll update with some pictures of the tank and 'nem tomorrow, and I think I do have some beginning photos from 2010 so I'll try and dig those up too.

Thanks for checking out my thread :)

Joe

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the reef itself is lagging from it's glory days, I still have some decent corals growing that make for good macro shots!

IMG_1075_zps84a142dd.jpg

IMG_1078_zps139e3c25.jpg

Pink_zps214954ae.jpg

IMG_1579_zps0d99ba9b.jpg

IMG_1585_zpsfcdbacf1.jpg
Looking amazing - I was about to ask what was the first acro and then I scrolled down and all 5 are epic - still the first one and maybe the 3rd (as I love tables) ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back