2Sunny's 240 Coral Garden Cube

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joe that was and is very interesting! I love your tank and anemones!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply AMAZING!!! Love the pics, love the videos. Any chance we can get a video of your basement filter system/set-up? Pics looks interesting, videos are better. Lol

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just spent an hour reading through this and would love an update! Fantastic reef.

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I guess there's no shame in a brief synopsis of the trials and tribulations of my reef. Since last I posted my reef simply became overgrown so I broke it down and reset the aquascape with frags of my colonies. Then tragically when that reset was just starting to grow in and look decent I was hit with the devastating pest known as Acro Eating Flatworms or AEFW. I scoured the internet and tried every intank remedy that was rumored to be successful but to no avail so ultimately I decided to do another reset and take out all the coral and all the live rock. Then break off all the coral from the rock and put plugs on the bottom of the corals. I then put new live rock in the display and drilled holes in the rock so I could place the corals which now had plugs on them back into the display. Since the corals were not attached to the rock I was able to take them out and dip them over and over as needed. The dip I used was Bayer Insecticide. I dipped the corals for 10 minutes each. That was almost 2 months ago and since then I have not seen any evidence of AEFW at all and my corals have regained truly great colors. It is sad to have a "barren" tank again, but I know in time it will grow in and look nice once again.

Well anyways there's the CliffNotes version of my tank over the last 2 years. It's no longer the dream tank I once had but hopefully it will improve with time!

Thanks for the bumps everyone!

Oh, and I would be totally remiss if I didn't mention Tony and Al. They're two local reefers who helped with the Big Dip Day and I would never have gotten it done without them.

The Tank Today
IMG_1917_zpsunu3fxzu.jpg

The Day of the Big Breakdown and Dip
photo_zps57aff826.jpg

The Reef Fully Overgrown just before the first teardown.
JPeckA3_zps83b93a2b.jpg

The Reef After the First Reset
IMG_8582_zps6c5e6ea9.jpg

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread! Love the cubes I have a 240 now, love the cube tho, new rockwork looks great! How are the new lights working out for you?

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this tank in person today and if you think the pictures are good in real life the tank is heavenly Hey Joe I just want to thank you so much for everything today especially helping me get out of this snow storm thank you again

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the issues you have faced, the tank looks amazing! :)

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got hit with AEFW in 2007 (wiped out most of our colonies) and can certainly relate. Love the new scape and your corals look Great! Thanks for sharing the good and the bad with us!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well aefw you just got owned. awesome man, glad to you battled back . just amazing all around !!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back