2Sunny's 240 Coral Garden Cube

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the rock work before you added corals?

I absolutely LOVE this aquarium!! :D

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the rock work before you added corals?

I absolutely LOVE this aquarium!! :D

I think I do, but I'll have to look around a bit . . . .

Here's one from today. Been workin' like a demon for the last several days cleaning, trimming, moving, and repairing but I think it's looking decent now. I think it'll be awesome when the left side fills in with some of the frags like the pearlberry, and blue milli.

WTc.jpg

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the updates. it's eye candy to see your tank every time. :marv :marv :marv

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I was just musing and thought I'd share a thought or two . . . I had red bugs and added coral gobies now I have none; I had majanos and added a matted file fish now I have none; I had cyano and added a biological filter that just uses rocks and low oxygen to grow phosphate eating bacteria and now I have none. Truth is "none" of that is scientifically proven, but that plus all the other anecdotes I have make me a strong believer in the "biology" of our tanks being THE most important element of all. It's all about creating a healthy, balanced, micro-ecosystem, too bad it takes so much work!

Joe

WTd.jpg

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot from the first day the tank was started. I was replacing a 280 gallon tank so I already had corals to place so I never got a shot with just the rocks I wish I had and I also wish I had done the rocks myself. I did the right side and my helper Billy did the left and truth is I like my side better today but then that's probably just silly pride . . .

tank3.jpg
compare.jpg

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral gobies did you add for red bugs?

I bought yellow clown gobies, but keep in mind I never saw them eating red bugs. I just know I had red bugs and now I don't, but I never treated the tank. It's all very unscientific. The clown gobies are tiny though so I suppose it can't hurt to try!

on another note. . .

Two interesting developments today . . .

1) Looks like the last split was never complete and the anemone was trying to tear the last piece linking itself to a new clone. I've never interfered before, but this time I used a scalpel to snip the last piece holding them together. We'll see :sad:

2) I also noticed this morning that the largest females in the school of Chromis have developed yellow coloring on their dorsal and anal fins. Have to see if this means they're a different chromis than I thought I had.

split.jpg

Chromis-1.jpg

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, the color on that anemone is outstanding, congrats on the clone.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jealous! Gorgeous tank, I really love that dimension, wish I had the room for it.

My Chromis have culled themselves from 6 to 4, and the smallest of the 4 is getting beat up, any insight on how to prevent this? Do I need more then 6 to make it work, or are you constantly replacing them?

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jealous! Gorgeous tank, I really love that dimension, wish I had the room for it.

My Chromis have culled themselves from 6 to 4, and the smallest of the 4 is getting beat up, any insight on how to prevent this? Do I need more then 6 to make it work, or are you constantly replacing them?

Thanks!

My school of chromis is stable at 18 or 19 fish now. I started with groups of 7 and they never lasted more than 6 months or so. It seems there is a minimum size of the school you need to introduce to keep them from killing each other off. Don't know what that number is, but I can say it's more than seven and less than 20.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer, that is a fair assessment, and matches with my current experience with them.

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd put some recent observations on the web for anyone interested.

As has been mentioned earlier, I've had a Magnificent Anemone since January of 2002, and it now has turned into 7 clones. Around May of this year it started splitting again, but the split never completed fully and left a small 1 inch wide piece of tissue connecting the two clones. Each clone formed a new mouth and 2 weeks ago they tried to pull apart again. I have never before tried to interfere with the anemone's behaviour, but this time I couldn't resist such a clear chance to try what I hoped would be minor surgery. I used a modeller exacto-blade cleaned with alcohol and severed the remaining tissue link. Then I carefully extracted the smaller clone and gave it to Jason and extracted the larger clone and placed it higher on the rock work as it had moved lower on the reef under a shelf of rock where I feared it would not get enough light. It appeared to me that the clones did not have enough room to pull themselves apart as they were restricted by other colonies surrounding them. In any case here are the interesting observations. I am not a biologist so I really have very little understanding of the nervous system of the creatures, in that way I admit I was quite surprised at the response.

1) I had to slice the tissue several times to create the division. Each time I made an incision the smaller clone would violently contract on itself and slowly re-expand. Even after the incision was complete this pulsing behaviour continued for another half hour or so.

2) After I removed the two clones and replaced the one, it balled itself up tightly and became neutrally bouyant. If I had not wedged it into a bowl like area on the rock work, it would easily have blown around the reef like a tumble weed.

3) During the time that it was balled up the clown fish it had been hosting kept pulling at a few tentactles that were extended and pulling them towards an area of open and available rock. After about an hour the anemone unballed it's pedicle and attached it to the rock in the area where the clowns had been tugging.

4) Over the next week the anemone moved very slowly back to a position from which it could touch the location from which I had pulled it and then it climbed back up to it's perch where it had been before the split. The action seemed as if it was searching for the other clone in the previous vicinity.

None of this is in any way scientific, but just thought it might be interesting to some ;) and of course if there are any biologists out there with thoughts on this whole process or perhaps links to research that has been done on these fascinating creatures, I'd love to hear from you!

Joe

anemonea.jpg

anemoned.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome. thanks for sharing your experience with the Mag. I really enjoy seeing people being able to keep Mags for a long while. so how big is the smaller clone fully expanded and how big is the main one after the split? when you get a chance, please post a vid of the Mag with the clowns on your YouTube. I'm subscribed. ;)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back