OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustration kicked in have several leaks across my mixing station I have never had any plumbing issues ever, not happy with the unions and the ball valves I purchased, thinking I might have to add Teflon tape or sealant lube to all of my threaded pieces.:mad:

Last edited:

jman930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there before. My leaks weren’t bad enough to warrant thread tape. I just let the salt creep seal it for me :D

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update I do have a couple quotes on custom tanks, but I’m stuck trying to decide if I should do a 6 foot or 8foot tank. It will most likely stay at 30” wide and 30” deep. I have a quart from Glass cages and from acrylic habitat. One tank is glass and the other acrylic. I’m looking to pull the trigger in beginning or middle of December it’s a tough decision to make
I am also getting ready to start a 8 foot glass tank (96” x 32” x 24”) project this fall and I’m leaning towards Reef Savvy to build it (though there waiting time is 8 months now - so I’m going to have to stay really patient). Years ago, I had a 180 gallon acrylic tank and it just gave me constant heartache and angst. I was always worrying about scratching it and eventually I did and even though people say getting the scratches out is easy, the tank never looks the same again. I am REALLY worried about how I’m going to get my 300+ Gal glass moved into my home. It will most likely tank a crane to hoist it over the top of the house as I’m up in the mountains on a slope. Finally, I also looked seriously at Glass Cages, but just couldn’t get past the mixed reviews on quality. I know I can get my tank through them faster and less cost, but since this is my dream tank that I’ll never want to worry about, I’ll wait the 8 months for ReefSavvy.

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also getting ready to start a 8 foot glass tank (96” x 32” x 24”) project this fall and I’m leaning towards Reef Savvy to build it (though there waiting time is 8 months now - so I’m going to have to stay really patient). Years ago, I had a 180 gallon acrylic tank and it just gave me constant heartache and angst. I was always worrying about scratching it and eventually I did and even though people say getting the scratches out is easy, the tank never looks the same again. I am REALLY worried about how I’m going to get my 300+ Gal glass moved into my home. It will most likely tank a crane to hoist it over the top of the house as I’m up in the mountains on a slope. Finally, I also looked seriously at Glass Cages, but just couldn’t get past the mixed reviews on quality. I know I can get my tank through them faster and less cost, but since this is my dream tank that I’ll never want to worry about, I’ll wait the 8 months for ReefSavvy.

yea I’m there with you on glass cages that the reason why I did not go with them. I got my tank from planet and I love it.

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there before. My leaks weren’t bad enough to warrant thread tape. I just let the salt creep seal it for me :D

finally sealed all the leaks they were not at the unions but only at the ball valves which are threaded and the two unions connected to the pump. Used some thread sealant and sealed up in no time. I love that stuff but it can get messy. Mixing my first batch of 70 gallons. Waiting for one last 1/4 tubing to start my auto water changes.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Karliefish, I totally agree with you regarding Glass Cages. I couldn't get past the mixed reviews either. That is why we did what we did and are excited about the future. In fact since Oct 2019, I haven't been able to find many if any mixed reviews. I would love to see them, they are a great source to improve. our goal is to serve this hobby the best we can by listening to those that use tanks. I am not offended by mixed reviews at all. I just ask for the truth. I can do a lot with the truth. we can adjust as a company to deliver a better result. We also like to hear what we are doing good. we will reenforce the good and improve the challenges.

I would like to say, thank you! Thank you for sharing honestly how you feel. We can do something about that. We have a strong desire to serve this community better and continue to grow.

Please see below for what we posted about our company transition.

Appreciate all the conversations and honesty.

During October of 2019 there was a major transformation at Glass Cages.

Glass Cages Transformation:
  • Leadership Change
  • Quality Assurance with QA Check Points
  • Digital Production Tracking
  • Improved Customer Service
  • CAD drawing and approval processes
  • Major Investments in Fabrication Equipment
  • Polished Edges are now standard on all builds
We are not stopping with these improvements. Please see our reviews after October 2019 on Facebook, google and Reef2Reef. We have asked our new customers to share the truth. Knowing the truth allows us to reinforce the good and correct our challenges.

I am so excited and proud of our Glass Cages Team. We look forward to hearing from you about how we can serve you better now and in the future.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I’m there with you on glass cages that the reason why I did not go with them. I got my tank from planet and I love it.
@Jrod381, Planet makes excellent tanks. I am glad you love it. I am sure it is beautiful.

I just replied to the post above yours. My goal is to listen so we can improve how we serve those in this hoppy and their journey. Glass Cages had many mixed reviews through the years. some good ones as well. that must be very confusing for the community. We are solely focused on improving our challenges by focusing on what the community needs. Our company transition in Oct 2019 had an tremendous impact on how we serve. Exciting. Thanks for your honesty and we look forward to support everyone's journey the best we can.

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jrod381, Planet makes excellent tanks. I am glad you love it. I am sure it is beautiful.

I just replied to the post above yours. My goal is to listen so we can improve how we serve those in this hoppy and their journey. Glass Cages had many mixed reviews through the years. some good ones as well. that must be very confusing for the community. We are solely focused on improving our challenges by focusing on what the community needs. Our company transition in Oct 2019 had an tremendous impact on how we serve. Exciting. Thanks for your honesty and we look forward to support everyone's journey the best we can.
I appreciate your respect in my decision making. I would never bash nor was I intending to bash your company, I work retail and I understand how reviews can sway people to make certain decisions. I believe if you market your product just a bit more and partner with big name coral or lfs vendors that will help your reputation. That’s is the reason why I went with planet because I saw the tank first hand at world wide corals.

Last edited:

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Karliefish, I totally agree with you regarding Glass Cages. I couldn't get past the mixed reviews either. That is why we did what we did and are excited about the future. In fact since Oct 2019, I haven't been able to find many if any mixed reviews. I would love to see them, they are a great source to improve. our goal is to serve this hobby the best we can by listening to those that use tanks. I am not offended by mixed reviews at all. I just ask for the truth. I can do a lot with the truth. we can adjust as a company to deliver a better result. We also like to hear what we are doing good. we will reenforce the good and improve the challenges.

I would like to say, thank you! Thank you for sharing honestly how you feel. We can do something about that. We have a strong desire to serve this community better and continue to grow.

Please see below for what we posted about our company transition.

Appreciate all the conversations and honesty.

During October of 2019 there was a major transformation at Glass Cages.

Glass Cages Transformation:
  • Leadership Change
  • Quality Assurance with QA Check Points
  • Digital Production Tracking
  • Improved Customer Service
  • CAD drawing and approval processes
  • Major Investments in Fabrication Equipment
  • Polished Edges are now standard on all builds
We are not stopping with these improvements. Please see our reviews after October 2019 on Facebook, google and Reef2Reef. We have asked our new customers to share the truth. Knowing the truth allows us to reinforce the good and correct our challenges.

I am so excited and proud of our Glass Cages Team. We look forward to hearing from you about how we can serve you better now and in the future.
Joe,
Really appreciate you taking the time to educate me and share all the great improvements that Glass Cages has been making. I’m going to be starting my retirement dream reef project this fall and I’ve been spending a huge amount of time reading everything I can about where reefer’s are getting their customer tanks from. Up until your comments, I had been leaning towards ReefSavvy mainly because everyone points to their work as the ”gold standard” of custom aquarium building. I am looking to have built a 96”L x 32”W x 25” tank. Is there a place on your website to configure a tank and get an estimate? Thank you again for jumping into this conversation....much more educated.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your respect in my decision making. I would never bash nor was I intending to bash your company, I work retail and I understand how reviews can sway people to make certain decisions. I believe if you market your product just a bit more and partner with big name coral or lfs vendors that will help your reputation. That’s is the reason why I went with planet because I saw the tank first hand at world wide corals.
All good @Jrod381. I want to listen. Even it is hard to hear as long as it is the truth. Sometimes the truth is hard. However, it is through the truth that we can grow but only if we decide to listen. So thats my commitment to this community. Glass Cages is listening. You have our support even if you select from a different builder. The best choice is your choice.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious when you say you got your tank from Planet....did you work with them directly on your custom tank design and build or did you work through one of their authorized resellers local to where you lived? I was hoping I could interface with them direct but it doesn’t appear you can from what I can see from their website.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,
Really appreciate you taking the time to educate me and share all the great improvements that Glass Cages has been making. I’m going to be starting my retirement dream reef project this fall and I’ve been spending a huge amount of time reading everything I can about where reefer’s are getting their customer tanks from. Up until your comments, I had been leaning towards ReefSavvy mainly because everyone points to their work as the ”gold standard” of custom aquarium building. I am looking to have built a 96”L x 32”W x 25” tank. Is there a place on your website to configure a tank and get an estimate? Thank you again for jumping into this conversation....much more educated.
My pleasure @Karliefish. I am so excited. I am so proud of the Glass Cages Team. They have really stepped up. I am humbled by their efforts to raise the bar and it is evident by the reviews.

Our website is still the same. We are planning an update soon. Our initial goal was to improve the product and how we serve. Feel free to reach out. I am so passionate about this hobby and love talking tanks. I welcome the conversation. I have shared before. I want to support this community even if you select a different builder. There are some great builder out there, Planet Aquarium, Custom Aquariums, Miracles, Coast to Coast, Reef Savvy, SCA, Crystal Dynamics, to list a few. I am sure you would be happy with those too. Our goal is to grow and serve the community the best we possibly can. Onward and beyond!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you assemble the mixing station, or did WWC design and assemble it for you?

PS: I’ve been to WWC— I might have seen your exact tank on their showroom floor. (Lol)

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you assemble the mixing station, or did WWC design and assemble it for you?

PS: I’ve been to WWC— I might have seen your exact tank on their showroom floor. (Lol)
Did everything myself for the mixing station with ideas generated through this forum. and no my tank was never on the floor I had to inspect in their delivery truck myself lol.

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious when you say you got your tank from Planet....did you work with them directly on your custom tank design and build or did you work through one of their authorized resellers local to where you lived? I was hoping I could interface with them direct but it doesn’t appear you can from what I can see from their website.
I did not work with them directly but I worked with a very good team at wwc. They helped on walking me through exactly what I needed versus what wanted

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build so far cant wait to see your progress.
Thank you, lots of bumps in the road and learning as I go but that’s what makes this hobby exciting and worthwhile. When I can see a coral or fish grow a couple inches it’s so rewarding. My daughter as her build as well and it’s fun to see her as passionate and excited to see fish and corals as I am

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the build so far. But I do have one question.

Why the API test kit? Seems like you've gone high end on everything pretty much, and then you test using API? Why not get top tier test kits as well? Ok that's actually the questions

My experience with API is not good. False positives on ammonia, nitrate readings all over the place, and kh test kit that read 8 but tested on aquaforest at 13.

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the build so far. But I do have one question.

Why the API test kit? Seems like you've gone high end on everything pretty much, and then you test using API? Why not get top tier test kits as well? Ok that's actually the questions

My experience with API is not good. False positives on ammonia, nitrate readings all over the place, and kh test kit that read 8 but tested on aquaforest at 13.

never had any issues with my api test just for those parameters for everything else on this tank and my others I use both salifert and hanna. Once I get squared away with the rest of the equipment I will buy an apex or GHL to run a trident and let that do the testing. One thing u have learned about most products is that a lot of negative information is usually Based on user errors.

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had any issues with my api test just for those parameters for everything else on this tank and my others I use both salifert and hanna. Once I get squared away with the rest of the equipment I will buy an spec to run a trident and let that do the testing. One thing u have learned about most products is that a lot of negative information is usually Based on user errors.

Well, I can't fault you for the reasoning there.

And did you say you were getting another 310 in peninsula in addition to the one you have? If so, you'll LOVE it. I have a 180 peninsula and it's just awesome to view the tank on three full sides. My wife didn't quite understand what I wanted when I told her. But she has dropped a couple comments about how "it's nice to look at and fits the space well." That's her way of saying "you were right". Don't tell my wife but if we buy the house we are renting I'm planning a custom 360 peninsula, 72x48x24

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back