400 Gallon Starfire Build - Mixed Reef

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read your whole thread. A lot of good info and it has definitely given me idea on where to go for my 300 gallon build. I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I had something similar happen with velvet. I'm glad you're giving it another go. Good luck and I will continue following along.

SleepEatCorals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man awesome thread and tank build very sorry for the lost, but every Hobbiest had met that day!!! It learning experience and we do that in life! But some advise start slow I know it's addicting but start with a few fish!!! Wait few months add some more key is patients I've seen people add to much at once and have problems!!! Using quartine tank will save you money!! Trust me!! I don't believe u should stop. Also start will small frags idk if you know richreefer but he's a huge agriculture coral place and he is one of the greatest reef tank guru you will ever meet he really well know and you can even google him!!! Has more knowledge then any I've seen!! Remember patients is key to this hobby!! And for what u invested you should keep down the road when your corals grow you can sell and make up your lost! But I really recommend you look up rich reefer on facebook or like I said google him and talk to him !!

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man awesome thread and tank build very sorry for the lost, but every Hobbiest had met that day!!! It learning experience and we do that in life! But some advise start slow I know it's addicting but start with a few fish!!! Wait few months add some more key is patients I've seen people add to much at once and have problems!!! Using quartine tank will save you money!! Trust me!! I don't believe u should stop. Also start will small frags idk if you know richreefer but he's a huge agriculture coral place and he is one of the greatest reef tank guru you will ever meet he really well know and you can even google him!!! Has more knowledge then any I've seen!! Remember patients is key to this hobby!! And for what u invested you should keep down the road when your corals grow you can sell and make up your lost! But I really recommend you look up rich reefer on facebook or like I said google him and talk to him !!

Thank you, yes he's on my Facebook page. Actually, I think we are friends too lol I will get a hold of Rich and see what he can do for me.

I've got these 4 fish in there and don't plan on doing anything. I'm not sure if you know who Dave Anderson is, but I got a lot of SPS from his 750 about 10 days ago and it's doing very well. Polyping and getting some white tips already. I've got a nice big frag pack from Butler at RMF, but he's holding them for me until I make sure these other acros are okay.

The tank itself, is super stable. PH and Temp hardly move and my big 3 are dialed in nicely with very little movement as well.

Hlmarlowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaron, I just was going through the build from the first page and I was like huh, this looks a lot like Aaron Wernli's tank. Sure as anything it was. Wouldn't have recognized it if I did not see it on the FB page and after we chatted a few times. Good luck as you progress brotha!

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaron, I just was going through the build from the first page and I was like huh, this looks a lot like Aaron Wernli's tank. Sure as anything it was. Wouldn't have recognized it if I did not see it on the FB page and after we chatted a few times. Good luck as you progress brotha!

Hey man, thanks!

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up about 16 pieces from Rocky Mountain Frags today. He's been holding this pack for me for about 2 months now. I'm very pleased with the frags I got from him. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. I also added another 14 SPS pieces from a friend of mine who has a 750. Here is a list of what I got from Jared.

Ice Age Granulosa
Gila Monster
Red Gecko
Jason Fox Unknown
Reef Raft Poison Ivy
Pink Lemonade
Emma's Mind Trick
Paletta's Pink Tip
Ultimate's Bonsai
Tyree Two Tone Tort
Red Robin
Jared's Flavor Parade
Pinky The Bear
Jared's Killer Bee's
Wonderland Milli
Red Setosa

I spent the last hour gluing all this SPS down and I used for different glues. Super glue is ok, but it's very runny and it sometimes won't stick to the plug or the coral. The BRS glue is not as thick as the Ecotech stuff, but it's pretty good for what you pay for. Ecotech's glue is very thick and you have to hold it in place for about 30 seconds (which that is a long time when you got half your face in the water), but the glue I thought was the best was this IC-Gel. It's thick and it sets up in seconds after it hits the water. It's only $7 a tube and it's pretty amazing stuff. I had never heard of it until Jared let me try a tube of it today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get rid of my WP60s. I did not care for them at all, the foot print was too big and I hated that cord in the water. I picked up a couple of MP60s for the sides of the tank. I now have 3 MP40s on the back walls. I also had Richins Carpentry build me a couple small cabinets that match the tank stand.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this whole thread and this build is amazing !!! I'm sorry about your losses, but glad your giving it another go. I can't wait to see this tank all grown out!! Following along for the ride.

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this whole thread and this build is amazing !!! I'm sorry about your losses, but glad your giving it another go. I can't wait to see this tank all grown out!! Following along for the ride.

Thanks man. I'm glad too :) just needed a good kick in the butt from my friends, I guess.

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going this weekend and picking up a Lemon Peel, Regal and Copper Band that have been in a friends tank for awhile. They will be in my quarantine system for a little bit.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that's awesome you found a way to set up a qt! how did you manage? what protocol will you be following for qt of your new residents to avoid parasite and disease in the display this time around? do you not prefer to allow the tank to go fallow for a few months since you had very little survive in order to completely remove the chance or introduction of parasite with all new arrivals? thanks for the share and photos as always!

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Naso is one of my favorite fish!! I have one and my kids hand feed her. She acts like a dog wanting attention can't wait to get her in the big tank.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back