5 Annoying Things Nobody Tells You- By a Newb

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have only had a saltwater tank for about a month now but ive noticed several things that go with reef keeping that no one tells you. So without further adue here are 5 annoying things no one tells you.

1. Salt water is sticky when it drys on your clothes and skin. You know that sticky feeling when you just worked out or sweat a lot and then it dried before you got to take a shower? Yeah well that's caused by salt in your sweat, guess what saltwater has a lot of in it....yeah salt. If you get wet working on your tank and then it drys before its washed off it feels like you are all sticky with sweat.

2. Coral Glue gets all over your hands when mounting corals. Its kinda like using markers when your a kid, you try not to get them all over your hands but it always happens no matter what. Your hands will have this stuff all over them and the stuff I use at lease is white-ish when it drys so people are bound to ask what is all over your hands.

3. Salt Water leaves a mess when it dries. Not your average water spot, it also leaves a salty residue behind that does not just wipe up so easy. Wipe it with a wet towel and you get streaks galore, Windex is your new best friend for cleaning eternal surfaces that wont contact water.

4. Snails are dumb, like really really dumb. This is touched upon in clean up crew threads so its a bit of a stretch to say nobody tells you this however I don't think its conveyed bluntly enough. They are just plain stupid. Already in a single month iv had them try to crawl out of the tank, bumble into frags only to notice when they get stung to high water and back, and turtle themselves and not be able to roll back over (yes even trochus), and I even had one wedge itself in a hole in my live rock somehow and I had to pry it out.

5. Setting up a new tank is scary. This is mentioned but ive never seen it given as a piece of direct advice. My tank is only 20g and even that was scary at times and I found myself wondering what I was even doing. Push through it tho, trust me its worth it.

Last edited:

JackDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Never had that problem
2. I use super glue and I am messy with everything so this was expected
3. I assumed this when I set my tank up. But I am also a freak with wiping up water for my freshwater
4. I never had this problem
5. It can be scary it's good if you know someone that can mentor you and make you take a chill pill when you get freaked out.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Never had that problem
2. I use super glue and I am messy with everything so this was expected
3. I assumed this when I set my tank up. But I am also a freak with wiping up water for my freshwater
4. I never had this problem
5. It can be scary it's good if you know someone that can mentor you and make you take a chill pill when you get freaked out.

I get 1. all the time lol and yeah this is just my experience and 2cents.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and bought a tube of Insta Cure IC-Gel, as i had been using lock tite gel. Not that much more in cost and the tips are excellent. I've yet to make a mess.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.
1. Salt water is sticky when it drys on your clothes and skin. You know that sticky feeling when you just worked out or sweat a lot and then it dried before you got to take a shower? Yeah well that's caused by salt in your sweat, guess what saltwater has a lot of in it....yeah salt. If you get wet working on your tank and then it drys before its washed off it feels like you are all sticky with sweat.
we call that afterglow.:D

and dont use windex. Use a watered down scent free dish soap.

heres a couple more annoying things so dont say we didnt warn you.
Shrimp are Jerks.
Crabs are untrusworthy!
Nemo is MEAN!
Nems Are Weird Man!
You will kill your corals.
algae happens.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.

we call that afterglow.:D

and dont use windex. Use a watered down scent free dish soap.

heres a couple more annoying things so dont say we didnt warn you.
Shrimp are Jerks.
Crabs are untrusworthy!
Nemo is MEAN!
Nems Are Weird Man!
You will kill your corals.
algae happens.

Yeah i just got a shrimp! Hes a total jerk, steals food from my corals all the time! Gonna try the 2-Liter bottle trick.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i just got a shrimp! Hes a total jerk, steals food from my corals all the time! Gonna try the 2-Liter bottle trick.
I just feed my shrimp first. Usually that suppresses his need to take food from coral. They like to eat...

Also some might suggest balanced nutrients in your tank will be sufficient enough to not have to feed coral. Or at least keep feedings to a minimal once a week.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed my shrimp first. Usually that suppresses his need to take food from coral. They like to eat...

Also some might suggest balanced nutrients in your tank will be sufficient enough to not have to feed coral. Or at least keep feedings to a minimal once a week.

Indeed this is likely true, but I like to spot feed my acan as they supposedly grow much faster when you do so and i noticed my hammer happily takes food as well so it also gets fed once or twice a week.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bite fingers.jpg

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have took a picture but I didn't so you just have to imagine. I had just got done glueing down a coral and I watched my Foxface go and take a nip at it. He got the glue and it was stuck to his lips for a few hours. He was so confused when I put some nori in the feeder and he couldn't get any. Luckily he managed to get it off or swallowed it. I was so glad because I would have needed to get a fish trap to get him out and the thought of him flopping around with those nice spiky venomous spines didn't sound like a good time to me.

He is alive and doing well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 79 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back