50 days safe?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 16 page thread going about how something wiped out my tank. Velvet/fukes or some combination. So I am entering week 7 of a fishless DT. I am contemplating if it's safe to start considering re-adding fish or just wait the 72 days in case it was ICH?

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait the 72 days. You've come this far why not go through with it. I shortened mine the first time after Ich and it returned so I had to reqaurantine and go 72 days and after that not one spot of Ich with a powder blue in the tank and it's been close to a year

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait the 72 days. You've come this far why not go through with it. I shortened mine the first time after Ich and it returned so I had to reqaurantine and go 72 days and after that not one spot of Ich with a powder blue in the tank and it's been close to a year

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just getting antsy I guess.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based upon new calculations, I recommend going fallow for 76 days now (for ich.) See below for further explanation:

So, let's do the math and tweak the fallow period for ich using the parasite's known life cycle & worst case scenario:
  1. Let's say a trophont drops off the last fish you catch before going fallow. We know that the protomont can only crawl around 18 hours max before beginningthe encysting process. The process itself takes no longer than 12 hours until it has hardened around what is now called a tomont. 18+12=30 hours, but I'm just gonna call it 2 days to err on the side of caution.
  2. The longest known time period it took for theronts (free swimmers) to be released from a group of tomonts is 72 days. However, I want to make it clear that this 72 days has only been encountered once; one study involving a single strain of ich. In most other studies, 7-14 days has been "the norm" for theront release.
  3. Once released from it's tomont, a theront must find a fish host to attach to within 48 hours (2 days) or it dies. Thus ending ich's presence in your fallow tank. Although in actuality, a theront's infectivity is greatly reduced just 6 - 8 hours after it leaves the cyst. It's non-infective after just 8 hours, but still able to move for up to 48 hours. So again, to err on the side of caution, we're gonna say 2 days for this "final phase" of it's life cycle.
So, let's add it all up. 2+72+2 = 76 days. That would be the true maximum fallow period for ich. Probably a bit of overkill, but I will make the necessary adjustments to the stickies and start recommending 76 days from this day forward. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always done 4-6 weeks, generally 28 days. I guess I've been doing it wrong all along lol

That is probably sufficient for most strains of ich. However, if you happen to get the 72 day variant (or similar) .....

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do a little longer then 72 days anyway. My other question is, I came across a super deal on another Yellow Scopas tang, so I bought him and put him in QT. Should I do a proactive prazipro and copper treatment or just observe?

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally observe for a week or two before treating mostly to make sure they are eating and to let them settle in. Then I'll slowly over a weeks time add copper power until it's at recommend levels

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do a little longer then 72 days anyway. My other question is, I came across a super deal on another Yellow Scopas tang, so I bought him and put him in QT. Should I do a proactive prazipro and copper treatment or just observe?

I would prophylactically treat.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the fish I already treated be affected if I do another prazi/copper treatment?

It's not "good" for them, especially the copper. I personally don't like mixing "new fish" with "old fish" in QT. Remember, there are diseases which prazi/copper does not treat.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited 82 and it was not enough. Kind of lucky..

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 59 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back