50 days safe?

ziora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading, considering, reading more, and going over all the information I can before I start up in this hobby. This question is not meant to sound ignorant, but it is. Is ich, velvet, and flukes something that absolutely has to be introduced into the environment from an outside source? It is possible that it lays dormant until the right conditions present themselves? Is the lack of QT the only reason for these conditions developing?

I'm sorry, I just realized I hijacked someone elses thread. Should I delete it and start my own?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading, considering, reading more, and going over all the information I can before I start up in this hobby. This question is not meant to sound ignorant, but it is. Is ich, velvet, and flukes something that absolutely has to be introduced into the environment from an outside source? It is possible that it lays dormant until the right conditions present themselves? Is the lack of QT the only reason for these conditions developing?

I'm sorry, I just realized I hijacked someone elses thread. Should I delete it and start my own?

No. It has to be introduced in some way. The longest it has taken for any free swimmers to break open from their cyst has been 72 days. It can be introduced in many ways..... on a frag plug, on a snail shell, even (though a small chance) in a drop of water. It doesn't lay dormant and wait for the right conditions to arise. It can however, live in the gills of your fish- unseen- until the conditions are right and the fish's immune system is compromised then it will take a better hold of them. That is why it seems to pop out of no where.

ziora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Now I can settle on the fact that absolutely nothing will get introduced into my future reef without the safe time of 72 days of QT. I also understand that if I buy live rock from someone, my tank has to be fallow for that same amount of time. I think there is also a distance that I should have from my QT tank and my DT. Maybe another room.

Wait, so it can live in the gills of a fish beyond QT time?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Now I can settle on the fact that absolutely nothing will get introduced into my future reef without the safe time of 72 days of QT. I also understand that if I buy live rock from someone, my tank has to be fallow for that same amount of time. I think there is also a distance that I should have from my QT tank and my DT. Maybe another room.

Yes 10 feet away. The rest you are right on the money with.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes if you're not preemptively treating the fish as if they ALL have ich. Many won't show symptoms. Wrasse can survive ich and even velvet without ANY symptoms only to infect a whole tank for instance. Several other fish can do this even tangs.

ziora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like planning for a child. I don't think I will ever feel prepared. ;/

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like planning for a child. I don't think I will ever feel prepared. ;/

Even if you do everything right, stuff can still happen. Believe me I know.

Just do your best!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I will add preemptively treating my fish to the list. I'm still reading on how to handle corals.

Corals are easy. a frag tank without fish. leave the new corals in there for 76 days and put them in the dt. Always dip them before they go in the frag tank. You can use it for your inverts too.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back