50 days safe?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Moorish Idols safe to treat with Cupramine?

I wouldn't due to possible appetite suppression. This is a species that can sometimes be difficult to get eating and their metabolisms demand frequent feedings. In the past, I have always treated MI using CP or TTM.

saltysilverado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is a bummer when you find that perfect addition for your tank then you have something happen to it, I don't recommend adding fish until around 3 months. By then any chance of disease is highly eliminated, you know his personality and eating habits and the slime coat will be retained and the fish should be happy besides the part of being in a smaller tank but if your fish looks stressed in quarantine because the tank is too small then your fish is probably to big to put in your tank anyways

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did it for 82 days. Fish were in cupramine for 70 days in a separate tank at 2-3x necessary dose and also went through an entire 12 day cycle of TTM. Still got ich. I am a lucky winner with whatever strain I have. Time to do hypo in the DT and remove corals. Will leave them out for a really really long time.

No chance of cross contamination I did everything textbook. Talk about frustrating...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did all that extra work because I am pretty sure I've had this strain for many many years. It's done this before. It lived in my ich management tank while I was employing proper methods in other tanks and I foolishly didn't properly qt a fish that came from this tank (assumed 4 weeks of recommended cupramine dose was sufficient).

I've struggled with this strain before. It's stuck with me I'm pretty fed up with it. It's what led me to quit qt'ing altogether 10 years ago. I gave up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to do a round of Prazi Pro. I just recently added a Yellow Scopas Tang, quarter size purple tang and pintail fairy wrasse. Does Prazi "go bad"? It was purchased maybe 4 months ago.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to do a round of Prazi Pro. I just recently added a Yellow Scopas Tang, quarter size purple tang and pintail fairy wrasse. Does Prazi "go bad"? It was purchased maybe 4 months ago.
You will be fine. It should be good for at least 12 months I would think, but realistically probably longer. Remember most fish can handle 2-3x recommended dose (do not start at this dose) of prazi, so if you are in doubt about it's shelf life, perhaps just increase the dose.

In your case though you should be golden.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. It should be good for at least 12 months I would think, but realistically probably longer. Remember most fish can handle 2-3x recommended dose (do not start at this dose) of prazi, so if you are in doubt about it's shelf life, perhaps just increase the dose.

In your case though you should be golden.
Thanks. I just did a normal dose for now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tips on keeping green mandarin alive during quarantine?

Most mandarins will eat this: http://www.nutramar.com/ova.html

Unfortunately, it hasn't been available for more than a year now. :( Not sure when it's coming back (if ever).

A lot of ORA mandys will already eat frozen or sometimes even pellets. If you get a pod only eating mandarin, your best bet is to do TTM and add pods from your fuge (chaeto, small rock). Obviously this is only a good idea if you are sure your DT is disease free and you discard the chaeto/sterilize the rock after each transfer. You can also buy bottles of pods to feed it (but this will get expensive fast :eek:).

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back