OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a great start. I don't know that you'd need to move your outlets in there because you'll have pipes that run straight down to the sump, not like your going to leave an open hole and just let the water flow out. Can't wait to see your tank progress.

Also regarding the outlets I am thinking of switching to a GFCI now, which one douplex will protect the other three outlets, no need for all of them to be GFCI. Just a tip for anyone who might not know, it could save you a few bucks. Also I believe I will purchase waterproof covers for the boxes at Menards a buddy of mine gave me a tip about.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you putting the GFCI outlet at the wall where you plug the boxes in or switching out the outlets in the boxes?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with one gfci for all is that every thing turns off when only one component is bad in the system. It's most common for the heater will fail, but it's most important for your power heads to keep pumping.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with one gfci for all is that every thing turns off when only one component is bad in the system. It's most common for the heater will fail, but it's most important for your power heads to keep pumping.

Now what about the fact that I likely plan to run a controller module which would do the same thing wouldn't it?

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to thank everyone for the very meaningful input, I unfortunately have decided that I need to wait to set my tank up until I make it to my more permanent address as I will be where I am currently for the next 6mos to a year. I would hate to get to a point where I am really starting to get things dialed in and have to break down and move. I've read various threads about moving with tanks and am not sure I'm a big fan of the idea. I have considered getting everything up and running, adding my LR (which I will have to find someone to sell to if I go through with decision to wait- 90lbs), some invertebrates and potentially a fish or two just until the move. If I do go that route I believe I will stay away from any coral life until the move.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
209115c9405cc63f840e20be0d1d2e2b.jpg

Well, decided to stay where I'm at for a couple of years as we have another kid on the way and don't want to move. Here's the tank, stocked for a week now and doing well. Got a lot of help from peeps on here and some personal trial and error. All and all very happy with things.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice and super clean! Can't wait to see the progression.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back