90 Gallon Build

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is where I stand currently, it will be a week or so before I fill the tank as I need to do a service change and run some power up to the kitchen where the tank will be located.

I have the frame built and the power inside ran, I will be tacking the SO cord along just as the LED cabinet light cores is ran.

IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

I do have some questions as far as the plumbing goes and am having trouble locating any solid information online about it. Instead of searching for an hour I figured I could just ask, I'm unsure which is my return and which is the drain, they are different diameter holes as you can see. Also my return pump didn't come with any plumbing so I need to figure that out as well, but need to know what diameter to purchase. Quick responses appreciated as I'm making a hardware run now for another project, thanks!

Image1487890638.500474.jpg

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to have to measure. They look bigger then what I have. I'm gonna say inch and a half, on the drain closest to bottom of pic. And one inch, or inch and a quarter on the return towards the top of the pic. I know you didn't ask for electrical... I'm not sure what kind of outlets or breakers you have in the box but someone's gonna suggest GFI's

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to have to measure. They look bigger then what I have. I'm gonna say inch and a half, on the drain closest to bottom of pic. And one inch, or inch and a quarter on the return towards the top of the pic. I know you didn't ask for electrical... I'm not sure what kind of outlets or breakers you have in the box but someone's gonna suggest GFI's

Perfect thank you, that answers my question as to which was return and which was drain. GFI most certainly btw.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are 1-1/2 and 1-3/4 btw

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. @Troy Manley... where did you get your electrical outlets ? And is that a custom sump ?

I purchased them from the Home Depot, also the sump is from Deep Blue, it is the Promaxx Reef 200 model. Had I not jumped in over my head at a 55% off sale for brand new equipment I would have custom built one. The place was a mad house and I assumed it would have sold being the last unit in stock.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious do you see any issue with what I've done? I am completely new to this and there is so much information out there.

Depending on where your tank is draining from, I might move those electrical outlets to one side of the tank, still at the top though.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where your tank is draining from, I might move those electrical outlets to one side of the tank, still at the top though.

I'll be draining to the left so it may be a good idea to move both to the far right?

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... I would move them to the right side towards to front to avoid contact with drains and splashing water as much as possible.

Maybe I'll just put a divider in to eliminate the possibility altogether.

hostiledriftcrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you are going to have a bit or room from the top of the sump to you outlets so you are probably fine, and worst case they are GFI protected. But ease of mind for everyone I guess slide them over haha

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just curious as to why everyone is so persistent as to using a GFCI outlet under my tank? I have a buddy who is a licensed electrician who thinks it best to not run a GFCI just in case it trips while I'm not home I won't know. One of his co workers has a reef set up and also made a point not to use GFCI.

hostiledriftcrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put in a situation like dropping a hair dryer in the tub...human life> reef life. If you have a bad ground for equipment and it charges up the tank I think you would rather it trip than you get shocked putting your hands in the tank

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a great start. I don't know that you'd need to move your outlets in there because you'll have pipes that run straight down to the sump, not like your going to leave an open hole and just let the water flow out. Can't wait to see your tank progress.

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put in a situation like dropping a hair dryer in the tub...human life> reef life. If you have a bad ground for equipment and it charges up the tank I think you would rather it trip than you get shocked putting your hands in the tank

I'm just not sure how the tank would get charged though? A heater running from the outlet to a tank or something?

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a great start. I don't know that you'd need to move your outlets in there because you'll have pipes that run straight down to the sump, not like your going to leave an open hole and just let the water flow out. Can't wait to see your tank progress.

Thanks man I'm excited it's looking like it might be a while longer the more and more I research! I got it plumbed at least though.

f61dd3bdd9e3100a1a16fba44d129da4.jpg

hostiledriftcrew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not sure how the tank would get charged though? A heater running from the outlet to a tank or something?
Could be as simple as a heater, amps (current) is what kills people, .1-.2 amps to be exact and say some equipment has a malfunction like the sump pump. Current takes the path of least resistance which would be salty water in this case, so instead of the current returning to the outlets, it goes through the water. The GFI will detect that something is wrong and trip before you ever have a chance to get hurt. It is annoying if the GFI has a nuisance trip, but that will rarely every happen. I'm not trying to lecture here lol just keeping you safe in a bad situation

OP
OP
ReefStick

ReefStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be as simple as a heater, amps (current) is what kills people, .1-.2 amps to be exact and say some equipment has a malfunction like the sump pump. Current takes the path of least resistance which would be salty water in this case, so instead of the current returning to the outlets, it goes through the water. The GFI will detect that something is wrong and trip before you ever have a chance to get hurt. It is annoying if the GFI has a nuisance trip, but that will rarely every happen. I'm not trying to lecture here lol just keeping you safe in a bad situation

Dude seriously I am very happy your taking the time to prove me wrong I appreciate it greatly. As far as I know .01 volt surge will trip the GFCI, I'm curious how likely something like that is to happen? Do you have any experience with an accidental trip, or know of any precautions that can be taken to avoid such a catastrophic event??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back