OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Got some water in it yesterday and fired it up.
I should have run it in some vinergar for a day, but didn't want to wait.
So it will take a few extra days before it will produce skimate.

enym.jpg

milkshake

e3dz.jpg

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think disaster has struck.
Last week I found some water on my stand and some on the floor. Not a lot, but any water is cause for concern.
My overflows were a little dirty( algae, rouge polyps) so I thought maybe, somehow ( wishful thinking) that might be the cause.
Cleaned up the overflows, dried up the water.
A couple hours later, the water on the stand was back.
So after checking all the bulkheads and every possible place water could be coming from, the realization was setting in that there was a very serious problem.
So, I started peeling back the trim on the bottom of the tank. This is the only time I have been grateful the tank builder used the crappiest cheapest trim ever in tank building.
I peeled back the whole front bottom trim.
Then I found 2 things that can cause instant panic and soiled drawers.
The leak. About one drop every 4 seconds.

And not sure if this is the cause, but it's another spot that spells doom.
It's close to the area that the leak is in.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Marty, that is not good news bud. Let me know if you need any extra help or Big ice chest or buckets or ??? Breaking down and replacing/repairing a tank is a huge undertaking and certainly helps to have experienced assistance. Anyway give a shout out if you need the North end crew to give a hand.Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dang Marty, that is not good news bud. Let me know if you need any extra help or Big ice chest or buckets or ??? Breaking down and replacing/repairing a tank is a huge undertaking and certainly helps to have experienced assistance. Anyway give a shout out if you need the North end crew to give a hand.Cheers, Todd

Thank-you very much Todd.

In my opinion, there is only one course of action to take for the long term.
A new tank.
I went down to Oceans By Design and talked with Mike. A new tank has been designed and ordered. The glass showed up at the shop on Friday.
Custom Glass Aquariums & Signature Aquarium Filtration, Protien Skimmers, Sumps

At the moment, I have a 75 gallon tank setup ( bare bottomed ) to house my fish. I have had a extra large sponge filter running in the sump of the 240 for 2 weeks now, which will go into the 75. I'll add a few pieces of rock for cover and more filtration for the fish.
I have a borrowed 50 gallon stock tub to hold the corals in with a powerhead and a heater.
I also have a borrowed 100 gallon tub to hold the rest of the rock, that also has a powerhead and heater.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My biggest worry is coordinating the move and lining up the people to help.
I have 3-4 people say they could help, but the move won't be for atleast 3 weeks and things could change for those people.
I'd like to have 6 younger than me people here, from the southend.

Plus, while I'm sure someone could actually repair the tank, I haven't had any body step forward and ask for it.
It may be recycled a little at a time.

It would make a ***** of nice reptile tank.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I borrowed a 265 gallon tote and ran a line from my ro/di unit over to it. (across the garage).
I'm guessing it will take 3-4 days to fill.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a heck of a thing!

Good luck with the replacement! Hopefully you end up with a good dozen bodies to throw at it - that's a big tank! (Assuming you're replacing with a like-sized tank.)

And I wouldn't skimp on the glass-suction cups for everyone either...especially if you only end up with six or less bodies.

They're around $65/ea, or more....you don't want the cheaper ones. Most tool rental places have them, but order/call well ahead of time if you want several sets. There's a good chance most places will only have a couple sets on hand.

-Matt

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, loved the soft coral theme.....you just don't see it that much any more. Hopefully you'll put it back together in similar fashion! :)

-Matt

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is a heck of a thing!

Good luck with the replacement! Hopefully you end up with a good dozen bodies to throw at it - that's a big tank! (Assuming you're replacing with a like-sized tank.)

-Matt

Thank-you, I appreciate it.

I am going to replace it with exactly the same size tank.

I was going to replace the tank this summer anyway.
I had planned on down sizing because I am going to retire.
When I had mh and vho lighting on all my tanks, my wife said that I wouldn't be able to maintain things as they were.
But a few months back after converting to all leds ( Radions) she told me that our electric bill was $60 a month cheaper now.
So when the issue with the leaking tank came up, SHE said to go ahead and get the same size tank. Awesome!!

Just heard from the tank builder today, all the extra holes are drilled ( ordered after the initial order).
And my Reeflo Dart/Snapper was sitting on my doorstep when I got home today.

A little set back on the ro/di container.
I forgot to close the valve on the bottom of the tank, so all the water that was made from 3pm on Sunday to 6am Monday ended up on my garage floor.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
BTW, loved the soft coral theme.....you just don't see it that much any more. Hopefully you'll put it back together in similar fashion! :)

-Matt

I started like many doing softies, then I got into some hard to keep lps and some sps, but at the time most everyone was using 65k bulbs and trying to pull the yellow out with vho actinic. That was around 1990. I saw 7-8 tanks that were mostly sps and only one had a 10k bulb on it but even that was not appealing.
Most sps were basic brown with green tint or yellow tint to them. And stationary.
I ended up selling that particular tank mh lighting and all the corals. Just kept the fish I had and started up a 135 softy tank and have stayed with them since.

The new tank will have less live rock. A little more swimming room for the fish, and maybe a few more fish. And of course soft corals, with maybe a couple branching lps.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOOPS, its OK Marty my garage floor gets cleaned with RO/DI water at least once every other month...lol

Keep me posted as to any need for additional helping hands on moving day.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OOOOPS, its OK Marty my garage floor gets cleaned with RO/DI water at least once every other month...lol

Keep me posted as to any need for additional helping hands on moving day.

Cheers, Todd

Thank-you for the offer, but it would be one long *** road trip.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back