A 240 gallon soft coral tank

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the leak Marty. It seems like only a few years ago when you were getting the leaker delivered but I know it was longer. I'm sure glad you have a support group close enough that you were already able to get backup's in place and ready to go for the breakdown and switch over. Keep us posted

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry to hear about the leak Marty. It seems like only a few years ago when you were getting the leaker delivered but I know it was longer. I'm sure glad you have a support group close enough that you were already able to get backup's in place and ready to go for the breakdown and switch over. Keep us posted

All in all, it was just a few years ago. Not near as long as it should be. But I knew the risks and I can live with my decision. It hurts the wallet. I've been unemployed more in the last year than I have in my whole career. But, you do what you got to do.
I do get a shiny new tank out of the deal :)
I do have most of the pieces I need in place to do the transfer, when the new tank gets done.

Just in the process of lining up enough southend guys for the moving day.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful reef! Just goes to show that softies can be cool too. :rockon:

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to the day that OBD will build me a custom Starfire 210 with external overflow.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OOOOPS, its OK Marty my garage floor gets cleaned with RO/DI water at least once every other month...lol

Cheers, Todd

Well after a 24 hour period of managing to keep the ro/di water in the container, I figure I have about 70 gallons saved.
It's a 100 gpd unit from BRS. Considering the water temp and air temp in my garage over night was in the low 40's, it's not too bad.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not too bad. I always have to readjust my waste:product ratio back to 4:1 when my water temperature dips like that. (Pretty much all winter.)

Maybe worth double-checking since you're literally making a ton of water. (8 lbs/gallon * 250 gallons = 2000 pounds!) :xd:

-Matt

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed, to busy to chat tonight, but I am almost done with my build and Mike from OBD built my tank and sump. Looking forward to seeing your new one!

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw you needed some southend guys for moving day. Let me know man and I'm in! I got a truck to help and would love to see what ya got going on! (I'm new to the hobby so seeing others tanks is very helpful)

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I saw you needed some southend guys for moving day. Let me know man and I'm in! I got a truck to help and would love to see what ya got going on! (I'm new to the hobby so seeing others tanks is very helpful)

That would be so awesome. Thank-you.
I'll send you a pm.

SicilianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you think about your glass cages tank? They got several bad reviews and I was wondering because I was ready to order from them but after reading the reviews Im double thinking it.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
what did you think about your glass cages tank? They got several bad reviews and I was wondering because I was ready to order from them but after reading the reviews Im double thinking it.

I was going to close this thread, because the tank was taken down a year and a half ago because it sprung a leak.

You know, it's hard to really put into words how I feel about the choice and results of buying a Glasscages tank.
I had a great time only paying for the tank. It was only about $879 delivered to a nearby town. Not my house. I had to travel 30 miles to meet the truck with my pickup.
Then for 8 years I had a great time with it.
Heck I jumped on every thread I saw for those 8 years that mentioned Glasscages and defended them.

So now when people ask me what I thought of my Glasscages tank,,,,,,,,, it leaked!!!!!!
It only lasted 8 years. For some of the people that I saw that had problems with their tanks, 8 years was a lot longer.
I got lucky you could say, mine was only a leaker. Some had catastrophic failures.
So, if you are considering them as a tank maker, ask yourself, is it worth the chance? And be honest with yourself.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back