A whole new dimension!!!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's time for the next step in our journey of Reef Keeping Evolution!!

Last time, we took a step into a much smaller tank, with Angie's 24 gallon Aquapod Nano. This time, we'll be taking quite a large step in the opposite direction. In the coming weeks, I'll be taking and posting pictures of our progress as we start this new leg of our journey.

Okay, enough suspense, here's the details

200 Gallon Deep Dimension with a Starphire glass front panel!! Dimensions are 48" wide X 36" deep X 27" tall. Yes, you read that right, 36" front to back!!! Barbie, at Aquariums Solutions, made us a screaming deal (really, Angie screamed) on it that we just couldn't say "no" to, although Angie mighta tried a time or two.

That's all the details for now, but stay tuned!!! Hope to start building the stand this week.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are too Finn!!!!

Hoping to actually get the tank to the house in the next few days and will start building the stand in the next couple of days. Pics will come fast and furious after that!!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a beast of a tank and I look forward to your build. Do you have any plans setup yet for lighting, sump, flow, controls, etc..

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot the mention that the 200 deep dimension is drilled with corner overflows and will have good sized sump/refugium under it.

Lighting, for the 200, will probably consist of our 6 bulb Tek5 fixture (currently on our 75) and 2 MH pendants that will hang behind the Tek 5. (this is still a little "up in the air.")

Haven't finalized sump plans yet. I'll either go with a pre-built acrylic sump/refugium or buy a 40 breeder and build a sump/fuge.

I will be running a reefkeeper (RK1), a Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor and need to devise an ATO. I've never had an ATO so will need to do some research on a simple design. There will be plenty of room under the tank for a water storage bucket or tote of some kind.

Flow is still in the planning stage, but it will consist of a return pump, possibly returning through a SQWD, along with a few MJ1200/mods and Koralia 3 or 4s. I already have several MJ200/mods and 3 or 4 Koralia 3s that I could use.

I still haven't finalized anything on the return pump either. I do have a Mag18, but need it for a tank I do maintenance on, so I don't have to carry 60 gallons of water up a flight of stairs every week...lol.

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Two thoughts, one, I have a sqwd and I really don't like the amount of flow it cuts down, and second, with a ato you can use a larger container at a remote location, instead of under the stand. I have a 20 gallon rubbermaid can out in my garage for topoff.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we live in a rental, so I'm unable to drill any holes in floor or walls for plumbing. I have considered having a large rubbermaid can sitting beside the tank, where it would be somewhat out of view. Another option is the largest rubbermaid tote that I could fit under the stand, with the rest of the equipment. I believe I'd be able to fit a 24 gallon or so, tote.

I do agree that the SQWDs will throttle back the flow and that's something I do want to try and avoid. I may have flow return through a Y, and have even looked into the possibility of getting a couple Sea Swirls to return with.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome tank, sounds like its going to be nice with those dimensions
the scape should be real fun to do with a huge floor plan like that
cant wait to see the scape when its done
are you going to do a huge canyon like most people with big floorplans?

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how I'll aqua-scape yet. I'll probably re-do it 5 or 6 times before I'm happy with it...lol.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, a couple of pictures...lol. The stand is assembled, and in the living room. Well, partially assembled. The framework is complete and ready to hold up the tank. I'll probably have the tank on the stand tomorrow, depending on how much help I'm able to get. I'll sheet the stand later, most likely with 1/2" oak ply. The "floor" will be 1/2" CDX plywood. I had to build the stand in stages, that I could then bring into the house and assemble. Otherwise, it wouldn't fit through any doors.

3696454627_b43b489c1a_b.jpg

3697262482_0e1f54c772_b.jpg

Here's the tank, still crated up.

3697262030_c1c6751d69_b.jpg

3697261192_22806e0db7_b.jpg

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we got the plywood stained and attached to the stand. Still need to decide what kind of trim I want to use and still need to build the doors. I'll get pics taken and posted tomorrow. Hope to also get the tank put in place tomorrow.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's an update I've been really wanting to make!! Today, I get to.

Here's the stand, not finished. Still need to decide what style of trim I'm going to use and still need to build the doors. Screws will all be hidden by trim. There will also be plywood installed for the "floor" of the stand.

3707893679_88f7f04c6c_b.jpg

3707894011_fc8aa3662a_b.jpg

Here's the pictures I've REALLY been waiting to take. We got the tank placed on the stand a few hours ago.

3708706536_016c04343d_b.jpg

To give an idea of how large this thing actually is:

3707895113_46f5c64b56_b.jpg

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see this up and running. I love those dimensions. Might want to think about putting a door or removable panel on the left side to make it easier to get at anything in the rear of the stand or sump. Just a thought. Nice progress...:bigsmile:

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd thought about a door in the end panel, but decided against it. There will not be a center brace, so I'll have 3' of opening through the front. If needed, it's only 6 screws to remove the end panel.

Plans for equipment aren't finalized just yet. To start with, I'll be using the 6 bulb Tek5 T5HO fixture from our 75. I may end up buying a second of the same fixture, and run those. Another thought, is the Tek5 fixture over the front 18" and hanging 2 250W MH pendants behind it, to light up the back of the tank.

I'll be running a sump/fuge that measures 36"X18"X24", with the tops of the baffles sitting at about 20". Return pump will probably be a Panworld 200PS. I may go with a larger return pump and return through 2 Seaswirls, but haven't finalized that decision yet. I might just stick with the Panworld 200PS and use 3/4" penductors on the return lines. I'll probably supplement flow with MJ1200s, modded with the 2200 GPH props, mounted with Suregrip magnets. I've been very pleased with the MJMODS in the past 3 years of using them in other tanks.

I'll also be running a Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor. I'll be designing a simple ATO system, as well.

I still haven't nailed down what skimmer I'll use.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WooHoo!!! We got a tank full of water!!! It's only freshwater, to test plumbing, flow and such. No leaks, stand is level, we're making progress!!

3821761841_0d7e5ee2fc_b.jpg

3821762175_2c00b73737_b.jpg

Yes, there's a mesh wheel in the skimmer collection cup...lol. Just put it there so I wouldn't lose it in all the clutter.

3822568562_5c04577c79_b.jpg

The Sea Swirl on the left hand side will have the locline added to it tomorrow. I wanted to see the flow with and without the locline Y.

3821762827_468925cf5f_b.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back