About to start dosing with NoPox — Newbie Q

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to start dosing with NoPox and my current NO3 level is between 5-10. The directions say to start with 2ml NoPox / 25G until NO3 is in the target range. But I’ve read elsewhere to start low and increase as needed. So my question is should I start with the recommendation of 2ml / 25G or start lower and increase if necessary? Was thinking of starting at 1 ml / 25G.

By the way, I know 5-10 on NO3 isn’t bad. But it took me 3 big water changes over three days to bring it from 25 to where it is now. I don’t want it creeping back up. Thanks in advance

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably stick with the recommended amount, be sure to dose it daily (better in a doser).
Changes happen real slow with this stuff, but it does work.
Continue to Dose the minimum amount (if you miss don’t double) until nitrate drops. Provided the nitrate is dropping, do not increase the dose, however, if in a couple of weeks nitrate does not drop, then increase by 1 ml per week until it does. Find a easy to manage spot in the 2-10ppm range and keep it pinned.
I have run 5ml per day in a 65g for more than three years and keeps my nitrates at 6ppm. There’s no value trying to get it lower, the tank seems happy here. find your tanks happy spot.

AF75F2A8-0E1F-4E25-9794-B10F751AF113.jpeg

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go half or even 1/4 of the recommended amount. My nitrates were hovering at 25ppm on a 37 gallon tank and the recommended dose was 3mL/daily/25gallon

I was dosing 2mL/day and I got a bacteria bloom. Turned it down to 1mL and the bloom went away. After a month I'm now at 2mL. Will increase to 3mL next month as I'm not seeing a drop in nitrates.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As with a car engine. . .. . a little oil is better than no oil at all -
APPLY AS OTHERS RECOMMENDED THE SAME PRINCIPLE WITH NoPox

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I’ll start with 50% of the Red Sea suggestion and give it a week or two then make adjustments from there. Much appreciated

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are water changes even needed if one is using NoPox? @Randy Holmes-Farley

I think water changes are useful for many reasons unrelated to nitrate and phosphate levels, so i would still do them if you were doing them before the organic dosing.

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

from it:

Conclusion
Water changes are a good way to help control certain processes that serve to drive reef aquarium water away from its starting purity. Some things build up in certain situations (organics, certain metals, sodium, chloride, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate, etc.), and some things become depleted (calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, strontium, silica, etc.). Water changes can serve to help correct these imbalances, and in some cases may be the best way to deal with them. Water changes of 15-30% per month (whether carried out once a month, daily or continuously) have been shown in the graphs above to be useful in moderating the drift of these different seawater components from starting levels. For most reef aquaria, I recommend such changes as good aquarium husbandry. In general, the more the better, if carried out appropriately, and if the new salt water is of appropriate quality.

Calcium and alkalinity, being rapidly depleted in most reef aquaria, are not well controlled, or even significantly impacted by such small water changes. In order to maintain them with no other supplements, changes on the order of 30-50% PER DAY would be required. Nevertheless, that option may still be a good choice for very small aquaria, especially if the changes are slow and automatic.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think water changes are useful for many reasons unrelated to nitrate and phosphate levels, so i would still do them if you were doing them before the organic dosing.

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

from it:

Conclusion
Water changes are a good way to help control certain processes that serve to drive reef aquarium water away from its starting purity. Some things build up in certain situations (organics, certain metals, sodium, chloride, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate, etc.), and some things become depleted (calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, strontium, silica, etc.). Water changes can serve to help correct these imbalances, and in some cases may be the best way to deal with them. Water changes of 15-30% per month (whether carried out once a month, daily or continuously) have been shown in the graphs above to be useful in moderating the drift of these different seawater components from starting levels. For most reef aquaria, I recommend such changes as good aquarium husbandry. In general, the more the better, if carried out appropriately, and if the new salt water is of appropriate quality.

Calcium and alkalinity, being rapidly depleted in most reef aquaria, are not well controlled, or even significantly impacted by such small water changes. In order to maintain them with no other supplements, changes on the order of 30-50% PER DAY would be required. Nevertheless, that option may still be a good choice for very small aquaria, especially if the changes are slow and automatic.

Ok great. I always do water changes. I haven't started NoPox yet, but wondering if it will help, because Nitrates always seem to creep up to the 20s (150 gallon tank). Have you used NoPox yourself?

Johny Cash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 0.02c

5-10 ppm is not a lot as you mentioned, I assume you have a skimmer and well adjusted for export of excess nutrients? my Theory on carbon dosing unless you really need it i suggest lowering your No3 via WC. I am not sure what you use for Po4 testing but unless its Hanna Phosphate ULR your readings always or most of the time going to be a guesstimate. The reason i say carbon dosing should be a last resort is, introducing Carbon dosing to your tank can encourage all sorts of bacteria.

Couple of things to check if you haven't already why your No3 is creeping up
Dead hermit crab, snail etc...

Low flow to move sitting detritus (I made a Diy water polisher and every week i stir up the water with turkey baster and leave it in there couple of hours, outlet hose goes straight into my filter sock, that does the trick for me collects a lot.)

And if you do a water change every week 10% i don't see how it should creep up?

Feed Less

Please note i have nothing against NoPox or any dosing for that matter but its so much better controlling it via good husbandry then quick solution this don't mean you're not a good husbandry

I once started a vodka dosing and sure enough i had to deal with cyano bacteria, either way good luck and definitely do water changes Randy makes a good point.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. I always do water changes. I haven't started NoPox yet, but wondering if it will help, because Nitrates always seem to creep up to the 20s (150 gallon tank). Have you used NoPox yourself?

I have not used the commercial mix NOPOX. I prefer DIY, and I have used vodka and vinegar. I slightly prefer vinegar. :)

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for everyone that’s been helping me. So it’s been two weeks and I have been dosing 50% of the recommended amount. Nitrates are running between 5-10 (Salifert) and phosphates showing as 0.00 (Hanna Phosphate ULR). THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE.

I added Seachem Matrix about the same time as I started dosing. So I’m thinking about reducing the NoPox starting in a few weeks to see if the Matrix can manage the nitrate level. Would appreciate any thoughts or reactions.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd worry about the low phosphate and would consider dosing it.
@Randy Holmes-Farley thanks for your reply. My sense is that I need to raise phosphates so thanks for confirming that. But rather than dose phosphates, I was thinking of reducing NoPox to see if I can raise phosphates a bit without nitrates getting too high.

I also tend to only feed frozen items like brine shrimp and Rod's food. Wondering if I should use more "pellet type" food to see if that will bring phosphates up?

Open to reaction / thoughts

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOX tends to have little observable impact on phosphate, but it is worth a try. :)

I would not assume a food "type" of food is better or worse for P.

I compare some foods here:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back