About to start dosing with NoPox — Newbie Q

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That water changes are unnecessary

OK, but really all your statement says is that you do not do them, not that they are not beneficial. :)

Certainly water change are not "necessary". There are many reef tanks that do relatively minimal changes, but the real question is whether any or all of those tanks might be better in some way with water changes, and your tank alone cannot answer that. :)

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but really all your statement says is that you do not do them, not that they are not beneficial. :)

Certainly water change are not "necessary". There are many reef tanks that do relatively minimal changes, but the real question is whether any or all of those tanks might be better in some way with water changes, and your tank alone cannot answer that. :)
There not beneficial for what’s been fish only for years , now I’m getting back into it I’ll be starting with mushies and zoas until my po4 and no3 are reasonable ( see my post on vinegar dosing) then concentrate on getting calcium and mag in check and ill start with the stonies
Always kept my reefs happy this way, maybe they grow quicker or colour better but I’ve never not been happy with the results

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice here please
My po4 is getting very low at 0.07 and yet my nitrates are at 75
Should I dose po4 before it bottoms out without reducing nitrates?

Jmon14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a soft coral only 90 gallon. My Nitrates are showing above 100 on the Salifert test and off the chart on the Hanna High Range checker.
In the last week I've started dosing 3ml of No Pox per day. I'm slowing losing inverts and after reading I've come to the conclusion that it's the high Nitrates.
How long before the NoPox starts to work?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a soft coral only 90 gallon. My Nitrates are showing above 100 on the Salifert test and off the chart on the Hanna High Range checker.
In the last week I've started dosing 3ml of No Pox per day. I'm slowing losing inverts and after reading I've come to the conclusion that it's the high Nitrates.
How long before the NoPox starts to work?

What size tank are we talking about?

Getting an actual nitrate value would be useful. Dilute the same with new salt water to get a value.

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently experienced undesirable nitrates I tried both vinegar then nopox and none had an effect
I’m on vodka now and that works for me , took only a few days but I’ve no doubt that the previous dosing may have built up some bacteria

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently experienced undesirable nitrates I tried both vinegar then nopox and none had an effect
I’m on vodka now and that works for me , took only a few days but I’ve no doubt that the previous dosing may have built up some bacteria

How much of each did you dose for how long?

Vodka is more potent than NOPOX or vinegar.

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of each did you dose for how long?

Vodka is more potent than NOPOX or vinegar.
45ml vinegar, 15ml nopox (525ltr) 1 month each
Vodka I’m dosing 15ml today (was 10) for a few days to drop the current 25ppm
As you know buddy, I was getting horrible slime of my rocks, none with vodka

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45ml vinegar, 15ml nopox (525ltr) 1 month each
Vodka I’m dosing 15ml today (was 10) for a few days to drop the current 25ppm
As you know buddy, I was getting horrible slime of my rocks, none with vodka

OK, no slime is good, but just bear in mind that the vodka you are dosing is more potent than either of the other two solutions you dosed. 15 mL vodka has a lot more organic matter than either of the other two, especially the 45 ml of vinegar.

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, no slime is good, but just bear in mind that the vodka you are dosing is more potent than either of the other two solutions you dosed. 15 mL vodka has a lot more organic matter than either of the other two, especially the 45 ml of vinegar.
I was dosing 30ml last week until nitrates dropped to 10, they’re now at 5 despite stopping dosing like 4-55 days ago

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back