ACI Kalkwasser Method.... I've watched this video and read a few articles, still not sure the exact method.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this topic of pH and alk, folks may find this thread relevant. We discussed what it might mean to a coral to have either one or both stable and what it actually means from the standpoint of their ability to attain carbonate for calcification:

So an Alk swing of 0.9DKH by adding kalk at night to maintain stable pH is a lot less swingy than a pinned total alkalinity and a wobbly pH (8.3 to 7.9), excellent.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an Alk swing of 0.9DKH by adding kalk at night to maintain stable pH is a lot less swingy than a pinned total alkalinity and a wobbly pH (8.3 to 7.9), excellent.

That's the discussion. I 'm just wanting folks to think deeper than simple alk or pH stability, since it is possible that corals care about something somewhat different, such as bicarbonate stability or maybe carbonate stability.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp extension in the sps.

I really won't reach that far. I would recommend no system changes , and a few additives that are known to be used or depleted by calcifying organisms, heavy feeding, established nutrient levels for phosphate, adequate par, and maybe you get good PE in 3-6 months?? Not much help I know.

I would recommend watching Coral Euphoria channel "why many do not succeed at SPS" I watched it twice.

While possible those values are a bit extreme. I get a daily swing of this indicated by Apex and test at 8:30 to 9:00 pm most days and find I get 145 to 150 ppm CaCO3 with Hanna Checker on carefully prepared sampled mixed the same. I limited hourly pH swing and monitor daily alk swing.

+/- 0.08 pH sing at best, and more with carbons sources, water changes, or growth spurt.
+/- 3-5 ppm CaCO3 as Alkalinity at same time each day.

These are best case values during mid week between water changes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220131-124324_APEX_Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20220131-124324_APEX_Fusion.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 79

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While possible those values are a bit extreme. I get a daily swing of this indicated by Apex and test at 8:30 to 9:00 pm most days and find I get 145 to 150 ppm CaCO3 with Hanna Checker on carefully prepared sampled mixed the same. I limited hourly pH swing and monitor daily alk swing.

+/- 0.08 pH sing at best, and more with carbons sources, water changes, or growth spurt.
+/- 3-5 ppm CaCO3 as Alkalinity at same time each day.

These are best case values during mid week between water changes

Most alk consumption is during the daytime hours. If you dose all or mostly at night to stabilize pH, you end up with very swingy alk.

That's why it is so hard to stabilize alk and pH at the same time. It really cannot be done by dosing alone (except in a super high aerated tank with no pH swing), and probably needs CO2 level control in the air used for aeration.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has compared alk stability to pH stability quantitatively, or tried to keep both stable that I am aware of.

It is technically pretty challenging.
A very long time ago... before I knew what I didn't know... I set up a pH controller that dosed CO2 when pH was high and kalkwasser when it was low. The pH in that system was very stable, but I really don't know how it affected alkalinity. I wonder what what would happen now if I set up the same system?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really won't reach that far. I would recommend no system changes , and a few additives that are known to be used or depleted by calcifying organisms, heavy feeding, established nutrient levels for phosphate, adequate par, and maybe you get good PE in 3-6 months?? Not much help I know.

I would recommend watching Coral Euphoria channel "why many do not succeed at SPS" I watched it twice.
Just wondering if you had any anecdotal evidence of increased PE from increased pH. There are lots of theories bandied about regarding how to increase PE. My tank meets all of the conditions proposed to increase PE (flow, lights, nutrients, feeding, no nipping, etc.) except stable high pH. I've had much better PE since increasing my pH from a low of 7.8 to a low of 8.05 using kalk. Now I'm working on raising it a bit more and keeping the diurnal changes fairly small.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

I do add the kalk at night and 2 part during day and will continue. Ill check swing during day at 7am vs 8pm this weekend. I might adjust slightly but seems ok for now. Roughly estimate 3 liters of kalk and 50 mls of each two part so maybe 100 mls estimate equiv of 2 part now. I failed to mention tank is 150 and sump is 150 so that helps a bit.

Do you chase stable pH or stable alk or just live with it?

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if you had any anecdotal evidence of increased PE from increased pH. There are lots of theories bandied about regarding how to increase PE. My tank meets all of the conditions proposed to increase PE (flow, lights, nutrients, feeding, no nipping, etc.) except stable high pH. I've had much better PE since increasing my pH from a low of 7.8 to a low of 8.05 using kalk. Now I'm working on raising it a bit more and keeping the diurnal changes fairly small.
I would say do not make any changes. Millis have more polyp density and some get that fuzzy look and some do not. It is likely foods, fish poop, and nutrient level causing this. They may need less light too. More art than science here.

Feed more and export more very slowly is worth a try. I would see if World Wide Corals has opinion on subject. Annecdotally I have see response from overdosing bacteria.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's the important question. I do not know what is best.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say do not make any changes. Millis have more polyp density and some get that fuzzy look and some do not. It is likely foods, fish poop, and nutrient level causing this. They may need less light too. More art than science here.

Feed more and export more very slowly is worth a try.
Just wondering your experience. My system is dialed in pretty well other than pH. I feed heavily, export everything, provide good light and flow and maintain stable Alk with a calcium reactor, kalk dosing and Alkatronic. I've had good success with SPS over the years. I stumbled on the pH discussion through the Reef Dudes interview and think it has merit for improving color health and growth, and wondered if it improved PE as well. Always looking to learn and improve.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering your experience. My system is dialed in pretty well other than pH. I feed heavily, export everything, provide good light and flow and maintain stable Alk with a calcium reactor, kalk dosing and Alkatronic. I've had good success with SPS over the years. I stumbled on the pH discussion through the Reef Dudes interview and think it has merit for improving color health and growth, and wondered if it improved PE as well. Always looking to learn and improve.
Sometimes I look to improve too much and should let it coast. I would argue going to 8.2 to 8,4 pH is a core benefit seen in increased alkalinity demand if managed to be held stable.

It consumes CO2, raises pH, and old banter stated it lowers phosphates. I am not sure it does the later much.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

I do add the kalk at night and 2 part during day and will continue. Ill check swing during day at 7am vs 8pm this weekend. I might adjust slightly but seems ok for now. Roughly estimate 3 liters of kalk and 50 mls of each two part so maybe 100 mls estimate equiv of 2 part now. I failed to mention tank is 150 and sump is 150 so that helps a bit.

I might fish through my old post but I wanna credit you anyway in my earlier post then: dosing both kalk and 2pt…. thank you
related and while we are on the topic, can anyone suggest a maximum safe alk swing then?
….personally .3 over a week is pushing it….roughly
..popped polyps any faster IME

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understood in the video are.

Have a controller to do a set range of ph.
Have a barrel of kalk 6 grams per gallon.
Have kalk dose at night per evaporation amount
Stop kalk dosing at 8.6 Ph
Turn kalk dosing on when ph gets lower 8.6 Ph
Turn on calcium reactor when alk gets lower/near 8.6 DKH
Dont worry about the initial alk spike when dosing this method

Anything im missing?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understood in the video are.

Have a controller to do a set range of ph.
Have a barrel of kalk 6 grams per gallon.
Have kalk dose at night per evaporation amount
Stop kalk dosing at 8.6 Ph
Turn kalk dosing on when ph gets lower 8.6 Ph
Turn on calcium reactor when alk gets lower/near 8.6 DKH
Dont worry about the initial alk spike when dosing this method

Anything im missing?
I believe it was start dosing kalk when pH falls to 8.3, not 8.6. I also don't think he was dosing up to 8.6. That would be rather high. I think he had a lower limit (8.4,8.5)?

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might fish through my old post but I wanna credit you anyway in my earlier post then: dosing both kalk and 2pt…. thank you
related and while we are on the topic, can anyone suggest a maximum safe alk swing then?
….personally .3 over a week is pushing it….roughly
..popped polyps any faster IME
I thought that was common? Maybe not.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back