Advice on backing down filtration

Hha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The setup i have is a 75 g display and a 20g long as a sump..has assorted CUC ,,and 9 fish ,,clowns,cardinal,gobies,blenny,,,,tomini on the way..... When i set this up 15 months ago i was not sure what filtration to go with ,,,cheato or Algae scrubber? So I built both into the sump . This sump also runs a small skimmer and carbon....
You know where this is going . I have struggled with corals but hey I had great water everything reading zero's....yea so I thought,,,once I figured out out too much of a good thing ,,,can be a very bad thing....So until I get things balanced I have been dosing NO3 and PO4 to keep corals alive...

My question is:
1- do i just back down my light time in the refugium and try and find that balance ? It runs around 10-12 hrs at the moment

2- take 1 of the filters out ? Refugium? Or the algae scrubber? And adjust from there.

I guess a third option would be to contunue dosing but i would rather get back to the fully biological way and not the chemical enhancement way.

What would you do?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove the algae scrubber first and next cut back light time on your refugium, measuring nutrient levels along the way. Good luck

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back