AEFW. - QT in the DT

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't wait that long with a Bayer dip.
I would continue with you scheduled weekly dips.
Bayer won't hurt most SPS if not all SPS.
I did a treatment as you know of every five days a triple dose Bayer dip for eight weeks even my guts was telling me after five weeks I was safe I thought that the next three weeks were the final sprint of freedom.
FYI, I had 143 SPS from 1" frags to 4" colonies that had to be dipped.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dip 6 done . zero AEFW with no bit marks , now im gonna wait for one month and do another dip to make sure the corals are AEFW free then back to the game

Good work man, just completed dip number five on Sunday!

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't wait that long with a Bayer dip.
I would continue with you scheduled weekly dips.
Bayer won't hurt most SPS if not all SPS.
I did a treatment as you know of every five days a triple dose Bayer dip for eight weeks even my guts was telling me after five weeks I was safe I thought that the next three weeks were the final sprint of freedom.
FYI, I had 143 SPS from 1" frags to 4" colonies that had to be dipped.

very good point , i guess ill go 2 more weeks see what happens , i just put a lot of bayers in the water until the water is super milky white , it does irritate the corals a bit but they are ready for the next dip by day 6 . how long have you been AEFW free if you dont mind me asking ?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good point , i guess ill go 2 more weeks see what happens , i just put a lot of bayers in the water until the water is super milky white , it does irritate the corals a bit but they are ready for the next dip by day 6 . how long have you been AEFW free if you dont mind me asking ?

I have been free now for about 4 months.
Corals are doing great and growing like weeds.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you Using the same method or you have a QT ?

I had a QT set up for the first two weeks but due to the quick set up and other inconsistencies I lost a few very nice pieces due to RTN which I'm sure is because of stress. So I put them back into the DT on a standard frag rack and the bigger pieces are on PVC fittings on the sand bed.

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a QT set up for the first two weeks but due to the quick set up and other inconsistencies I lost a few very nice pieces due to RTN which I'm sure is because of stress. So I put them back into the DT on a standard frag rack and the bigger pieces are on PVC fittings on the sand bed.

i see . why couldnt this hobby be without pest right , anything else is cool just no pest lol
did you had anything coming out of the corals after dip 5 ?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see . why couldnt this hobby be without pest right , anything else is cool just no pest lol
did you had anything coming out of the corals after dip 5 ?

No kidding.

I have not seen anything since dip three, but definitely nothing in the last two.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel never Quit!!
Ppl in Houston know me very well on this.

AEFW was a chock to me as I Quarantine every coral for 5 weeks and every fish for at least 8 weeks if not longer.
Corals will be dipped every 5 days regarding.
That's why I said I was chocked to find a three old colonies with a few AEFW on it.
Didn't take any risk, took me till 4am in the morning to remove every coral and dip for 20min and leave it in QT for eight weeks.
The next day I removed all encrusting's of the rock and removed as well some rocks.
Purchased a bunch of Leopard wrasses to clean out any live AEFW on my rocks when they came out to look for SPS.
I was determent to win this as it is in my nature.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any leopards I could get my hands on from LA.
Leopards are known for that but also Yellow Coris and Melanures or Hoeven wrasse.
In my tank they were constantly picking on the rocks, of course that's no evidence but Cat Dybala (tektike on R2R) did research with Kate Rawlinson that AEFW not only laying eggs on SPS but also on rock.
Leaving your tank for at least 5 weeks with no SPS at all will do the trick as the adult AEFW will starve or will turn into a meal for the wrasses.

Search here on R2R for that thread from tektike.
If I have time today I look for it in my favorites and post it on here.

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards are known for that but also Yellow Coris and Melanures or Hoeven wrasse.
In my tank they were constantly picking on the rocks, of course that's no evidence but Cat Dybala (tektike on R2R) did research with Kate Rawlinson that AEFW not only laying eggs on SPS but also on rock.
Leaving your tank for at least 5 weeks with no SPS at all will do the trick as the adult AEFW will starve or will turn into a meal for the wrasses.

I love leopards, unfortunately the ones that come to my area are doomed to die for whatever reason :/

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have blue star female leopard and yellow coris wrasse . looking forward to get for leopard since they are my top 3 fav. fishes i just wish i had a bigger tank for more fishes . My blue star ate all brown flatworms i had . Before i got him they where all over the tank on the glass , sand and rocks . Since i got her over 6 months a go i have seen any so i hope she will help me with AEFW as well .

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a melanarus, blue star leopard wrasses in my tank. I've read the AEFW thread by tecktite numerous times.

I've finished five dips and will do number six on Sunday. Should I do a seventh dip or do you think I'll be safe to start mounting after my next dip?

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a melanarus, blue star leopard wrasses in my tank. I've read the AEFW thread by tecktite numerous times.

I've finished five dips and will do number six on Sunday. Should I do a seventh dip or do you think I'll be safe to start mounting after my next dip?

im planing to do 8 dips after that planing to keep the corals another month on the frag rock then do one more dip to make sure the corals are completely free as well as the tank .

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would finish the eight weeks and still will monitor them as Moonlight stated for a few weeks more before mounting them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%

Back