Aggressive coralline algae or some type sps?

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers

Aggressive coralline algae or some type sps? Sorry for the read!

Been in the hobby now over 12 years. The last 8 years I have done corals in my tank. This is what my old 75G looked like over 2 years ago. I out grew it and finally had approval (wife) to move to 180g tank.

No this isn’t same coralline that is on the back all of above photo. This stuff is thicker and also way more pink with white around edges of it. So right before moving I acquired some corals from a local hobbyist. One of these pieces had a very pink looking coralline growing on it. After about a month sitting in the tank the zoa that were on the plug closed up and with a month this pink coralline started to grow over the shrank down zoa. After about another month the zoas where covered over with this stuff and you could see the bumps where the zoa where under the coralline. I remember this coralline stuff as I asked other hobbyist if they ever heard of coralline coating over a zoa while it was shrank up.

Didn’t think anything bad about this stuff but yesterday looking at old photos I noticed one thing in the photo and had to cut it down from original to see this stuff is now in the display tank back two years ago.

So over the last two years I have slowly lost almost every coral in my tank. It don’t matter the type as they slow will melt away. All parameters are the most stable they have ever been in my time reefing. Most start out with in the middle of the coral and some the base but everything has melted some. The stn will stop and start so it will melt some then go a month or two with no more melting then melt more. But in those weeks to months between this Pink coralline will coat the hole dead spot. Within two months of coral total death the coral is then covered in this coralline.

So here is a current photo of my tank under 5k light. All that pink isn’t painted rocks that is this pink coralline stuff on them. As you noticed what corals I do have great colors but aren’t growing at all anymore.

Here is a some current zoa on my rocks. As you can see they are all shrank in and it almost fully dark in this area. But once you turn on a flash light you notice this stuff runs an inch or so down under the rocks into the shaded area of the rocks.

So last August I decided to redo my rocks structure after all the dead coral colonies where all over my tank. Took out all the old rock and stuck into a frag tank that was hooked to main system for a few months and add all new rock back making rock structures with pond foam this way to seed new rock in DT. The overflows are already coated in it and the center rock with zoa and the to chalice rocks stayed threw the transfer and both have blotches of this stuff all over it already slowly taking over my tank. But only 6 months later all rocks are now covered in this stuff and even next to a milliapora it is slowly growing over it edge.

So what is this stuff? I know it probably some type of coralline but is very aggressive towards other corals and seems maybe to do some kind of chemical warfare with other corals possibly. It is slimy to the touch also like a sps. Also never seen a coralline algae grow so fast. Yes probably an urchin would help maybe combat this stuff but I feel it only a band aid as this stuff is very aggressive. Ever since about 3 years ago when getting this coral into my tank is when my tank slowly has went down hill. It also seems like I am having to have CaRx high flow for what coral I have left. It sitting at effluent flow of 70ml per min and ph 6.5 the media is cribsea arm extra coarse.

My current numbers are
Alk 7.7 dkh
calcium 400
Mag 1200
po4 0.03
no3 4

Again sorry for the read. But any advice what this stuff is? I am also already figuring that I will have to drain this tank and treat hole system with acid and start over. But how do I keep this stuff from coming back in off what coral I do have left in to the tank as I would like to save my coral and fish I have as some this stuff is very old.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last August I decided to redo my rocks structure after all the dead coral colonies where all over my tank. To
If the "stuff" the same pictured in this photo?
What are you dosing for Cal and Alk? ...Sorry Ca reactor....
Where to keep your alk at?

20170427_091113_zpsbneynr0j.jpg
Can you or do you have a detailed picture of the overflow? its got good structure to help ID it I think.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the "stuff" the same pictured in this photo?
What are you dosing for Cal and Alk? ...Sorry Ca reactor....
Where to keep your alk at?
In that picture you cant really see any as I had just changed out rocks other then center rock and chalices rocks but when looking threw my photos you can see spots of this dark pink coraline all over the three rocks left and the overflows. Listed alk above but sits right around 8 yeah doing a calcium reactor but just switched to it last month as things where still going down hill and seemed kalkwasser itself wasn't keeping up with demand anymore.

Can you or do you have a detailed picture of the overflow? its got good structure to help ID it I think.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like plating coralline to me.........but wow! I wonder if its pulling the elements out of the water faster than your coral can and that is why they are slowly dying. Especially the calc.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inclined to think coralline as well. It obviously loves the water chemistry and lighting of the system. Looks to be outcompeting the corals in it's utilization of trace elements. What is your lighting type?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craziness! It's slimy to the touch? It sounds like you are right that it is utilizing chemical warfare to kill the corals. The opposite happens in my tank, the corals create a mucus around the base that nukes the coraline algae, there is a white ring around healthy rapidly encrusting corals, everything else is pink.

Very strange indeed. Have you gotten a triton test to see if there may be a source of contamination that may be stunting the coral growth which is allowing the coraline to overtake them. All your numbers look ok, but they tell such a small part of the story.

I've got some coraline algae that's grows very rapidly and isn't shy about encrusting any open surface.

Have you exhausted the possibility of a pest (besides your growing pink menace). It seems like there may be another underlying factor here. Although you may be entirely correct and you may have some mutant, aggressive, pink, calcareous algae menace ;Walkingdead.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for slow response as I didn't get a email saying I had new post again.

I wonder if its pulling the elements out of the water faster than your coral can and that is why they are slowly dying.
Yeah I am sure it pulling allot out of my water and why CaRx is running at setting it running at now for what few corals I have left. I have had lfs check my numbers and they always come back the same as my test so I know I am accurately testing stuff.

What is your lighting type?
EcoTech Radion Gen 3 set to coral labs sps ab+. These have been on for about year half now. But death started before this for me. When death started I had Mh and t5 on my tanks.

It's slimy to the touch?
Yes very slimy to touch specially when u take it out of water it slimes over fast. I did try taking one of the magnet from back wall that had it all over it and soaked it in pure Alk mix to see if the skin would strip off and didn't. After leaving it in alk mix for 5 hr took it out and been letting it dry. Another piece I took out but didn't add to alk is more pink still now a couple days later then the one that went into pure alk but both are still pink. The other coraline algae that was on one dip has turned white and the control to.

Have you gotten a triton test
Yes last spring I had one done. When it came back it had a little trace of CU, low K, little elevated Po4 but everything else came back fine. I fixed those issues last year with media for CU and got new K and po4 test and start to dose and add more gfo media.

Have you exhausted the possibility of a pest
That is normally first thing people ask me over the last two years as this stuff has been slowly melting away. Yeah i have dip tested my stuff so many times threw Revive, Reef dip, and Bayer advance and never find a pest other stars and pods ect.

I have seen coraline. I have had it in past so thick you could roll it up like shaving it from chocolate bar. But this stuff I have seen it encrust a zoa with zoa still on it just shrank up. When things started to go south for my tank it started with corals that was in my frag tank near this stuff. Then once introduced to display my coral near that area in the photo was the first to go. This water in this tank is about 8 years old. I started with a 55 then moved to 90 then down to 75 and now to 180. I did lose a bunch of stuff this last month but I think it due to a 6 year old lawnmower blenny die in tank and my not noticing the old girl was gone. Why I think she passed away was all here source of forage food was gone with all the rocks being covered in this aggressive coraline algae.

Thanks so far. At least I am not only one scratching my head over this nasty stuff.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as for removal of this stuff. I am thinking of setting up a QT tank next to this tank. Break ever coral off getting just the coral no dead skin or rock trying to keep it from transferring to QT. I do have rock in sump that don't show signs of this stuff on it but might still be laced with it as it sits in the darker part of my sump. But need something to help jump start the QT. Then leave it up for at least 6 months while I try to clean and cycle back my 180. Watching QT and any signs of this stuff showing up remove area effected and start the waiting process again? I am not sure how to even treat for this stuff other then what a few have recommended an urchin and it not going to be able to in my opinion keep up or get it all causing it to be re introduced back to my DT. Also how do I go about cleaning up DT of this? Acid clean everything? Cook hole tank?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So weird looking

Like a pink corilime mushroom mixed with a leather.

Do u have a microscope or know someone who does? Maby send it to @twilliard so he can see what it is

I think ur corals are not surviving because this is just out competing them.

What if u took out all the corals u want into a separate tank and then shut off ur calcium reactor and starve this to death cause it seems like u are just feeding it exactly what it needs

I do not know Got me hope it works out for ya and you rid this monster from ur tank

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you should consider a Triton water test.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have a microscope or know someone who does?
I have one that is a cheap one but I will have to see if I can get some CA out and play with the scope and see what I can see.

Perhaps you should consider a Triton water test.
I have order test this morning so here in a couple weeks should know detailed numbers.

I am still leaning towards removal of all and starting over even if Triton comes back clean or not. Back my mind always been that old tank syndrome.

Anyone have some other experiments I could try on this stuff and see if we can figure out exactly what it is? The one piece that I dip in pure alkalinity now a week later is sure lighter in color of pink then the control that I just took out into the air.

Thanks guys keep up the info coming.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started to slowly melt away this week. It a milli and still has it polyps opened trying to fight the coraline but it is slowly losing the battle.

20170502_072117.jpg

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose some vibrant. That eliminated all my coralline algae

I am working on getting some and testing a rock with this coraline on it and see if it will make it disappear. How long did it take and did it turn white then easy to peel off?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started to slowly melt away this week. It a milli and still has it polyps opened trying to fight the coraline but it is slowly losing the battle.

20170502_072117.jpg
Yea this shouldn't happen. Coralline growing over live flesh.

If the triton shows something is killing the sps you go from there. But its possible it is an odd ball coralline, and an invasive species I think. But I haven't found anything like it.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy I had no idea this was possible. I have never seen a tank with such thick coated coralline algae as your tank.. This stuff is obviously taking over and became a major pest... What are your Ca and Alk levels? I'd remove as many pieces of unnecessarily dry rock and slowly take away their food source. Could be nutrients or too high CA/ALK - but this is just my guess. Best of luck

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting some and testing a rock with this coraline on it and see if it will make it disappear. How long did it take and did it turn white then easy to peel off?

It took a few weeks and it just slowly disappeared but mine was not as bad as yours.. It didn't turn white but my rocks did almost like they were new. I think the bacteria was eating it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back