Aggressive coralline algae or some type sps?

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So almost 9 months later. I gave up after posting this after another week or so. I was tried of trying to figure it out. I didn't do water change and only changed the of gfo once and really no other maintenance. Quit feeding tank any reef riods and frozen. Had auto feeders and just checked here and there if they was full. Finally couldn't really see into tank as all the glass was covered in brown algae. Decide it either time to take down and restart tank but want to save coral that is left. See so many nice tanks and over in Facebook group where I admin for "Apex Neptune Aquacontrollers Monitors User Group" it just sadden me to look at mine. So cleaned glass and equipment. Noticed CL was actually on decline as there was holes on overflow finally and rocks had spots where one of two urchins cleaned. Spine urchin has went from small 1" size 9 months ago to 8". The pencil urchin has double in size. Pencil is a little less active but he stayed to rocks compared to spine stayed mostly on glass clean normal coraline algae. These spots tho the urchins have left on rocks are small little pea spots.

But also noticed few corals where sick looking. Checked alkalinity and was 7 dkh dose up to 8 over couple days and upped CaRx effluent and down ph. Never was one for low end alkalinity. This was back in August. Next couple months I did do little bit more feeding of foods and paid a little more attention to my tank. I started to notice more corals looking worst so checked alkalinity and all other elements I had test for.

Alkalinity 6.3 dkh
calcium 365
magnesium 1200
nitrate 0
phosphate 0.04

So dosed back up again over a couple days to 8 dkh and calcium and also upped carx again quite a bit in hopes this time it could maintain a higher number. To this day to maintain calcium i have had to dose a 100 ml two part because as soon as I stopped it would drop down again. Slowly alkalinity has been going back down again.

But real problem I notice is yet again CL has started to take off and covering up holes on the overflow. I mentioned the test shell I took out over 9 months ago are still just as pink as day they came out of the tank. Also weird was when it would get wet with tap water would slime up for a month or two with very slick slime feel. I would take the shell out of the kitchen window seal (indirect light but south side house) and would rinse off the shell. It still has somewhat a slick feel when u wet it and still pink even with water and indirect light on it. The one I tried in pure alkalinity melted away finally have about two weeks to white and flaked off magnet.

No I didn't ever send in test for water test or do microscope on it or use vibrant as like I said a couple weeks later I gave up on the tank all together and let sit. Still yet to do water change and just been using macro, carx, acropower, reef roids, pellets for Afs, time to time flakes, frozen. So really I am at point just taking it down and starting over. Was a great 8 year run with tank but something is off and this stuff has kicked my butt. But hard to just take and throw away some coral you have had for 6 years now. I am one those that wont give it to someone knowing this stuff can possible of taking off in their tank and consume their corals. I saw a few good close friends here locally have issues with there tanks and this stuff was all over in their tanks.

This shell has been out of water and was my test piece.
20171111_224219.jpg

Next couple photos are from a new shell I pulled out to take these photos.
20171210_102643t.jpg 20171210_102653t.jpg 20171210_102701t.jpg 20171210_102725t.jpg 20171210_102932t.jpg 20171210_103145t.jpg

What ever happened with all that coralline algae. Did vibrant knock it back?

Never tried Vibrant as I stopped messing with tank a few weeks after this post. Been dealing with this slow and painful death for many years now and it sading to see my tank way it is anymore. So funny you commented on this post as I was writing up a update just the other day but quit because figured I just take it down and not look back.

At least you don't have any cyanos, hair algae, or dinos :)

Haha to funny. There isn't any place for it to grow. Why I lost my 7 year old lawnmower blenny.

I think he had to move out of his house after waking up one morning to find it growing on his bedroom walls.

If we lived in saltwater I wouldn't put it past this stuff. It loves to grow fast and on rocks.

So darn frustrating when something like adding a photo to a post become so difficult. Was going to try add a few close up of the CL but other images just stay as NEW and don't change to allow to add as thumbnail or full image. NO meaning why this, if wrong size or what. FIGURED IT out.. They need to explain in upload a file button at bottom same as they explained in image loader in top of posting section. what funny is some my images are more then 1200x1200 loaded fine where others didn't.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, thats some crazy invasive coraline algae.. I have OCD and this is my plan (should I have to deal with your problem)

1. Purchase a box of caribsea shapes - this stuff is amazing! I've seen it in person its perfect, Less is more in the tank - IMO only surface area reserved for corals should be in the tank, remainder should be in the sump.
2. Remove all the LR and through it in a dark area of the sump. Coraline needs light and will eventually starve off.
3. The goal is to not let the coraline population get so large that its outcompete the tanks inhabitants, This is true of any organism living in a closed environment. If they ever grow to close to a coral base cover it with epoxy.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might send your info to Bob Fenner at wet web media. He may be able to help identify it.

Second person to recommend email them so went head and emailed them to see what they respond.

1. Purchase a box of caribsea shapes - this stuff is amazing! I've seen it in person its perfect, Less is more in the tank - IMO only surface area reserved for corals should be in the tank, remainder should be in the sump.
2. Remove all the LR and through it in a dark area of the sump. Coraline needs light and will eventually starve off.
3. The goal is to not let the coraline population get so large that its out compete the tanks inhabitants, This is true of any organism living in a closed environment. If they ever grow to close to a coral base cover it with epoxy.

1. I have plenty of rock sitting on my deck to redo my rocks again if needed. Just affriad if I drop any new rocks into this tank it will be covered in it pretty quick. It hates glass and sand and wont really grow in these places but all plastic and rocks are fair game and grows really quick over the surface.

2. Like that idea somewhat as I could accomplish this with another tank and another tank to house frags in while I try to remove it from my frags. Might be the way I go but I do think wife wants tank down around taxes to redo floor and paint the living room so may still just decide to take it down. Maybe nothing else hook up another tank so I can remove these rocks and get them cleaned back up to put back in my tank. Built them myself and like the design i had built.

3. I never in my life feed just CL food. This stuff has no problems over taking a tank. I didn't try to let it take over for sure. In 6 months all new rock-structure was covered in it. Buddies frag tanks where all covered in this stuff and he had same issue as me but since gave up having tanks at home.

Yeah, I was curious also. Never seen anything like that. Wow.

Old timer here hard to buy new product when it may work. Found a lot times it just another snake oil or don't work as someone has said so hard to drop 40 bucks on something that not sure if it will work or not right now around holidays for sure.

It only been a few years at this so it isn't going anywhere. It sure hard to keep up numbers with this stuff. Had another memory pop up on my fb reminding me how my tank looked right before move.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this thread and agree its weird stuff in your tank. I don't think I've ever felt coraline algae slime up. I'd nuke it all. Take out your fish snails and the corals your friends want that arent SPS and kill the tank. Honestly in my 450G system I'd consider pouring a gallon or two of muriatic acid right into the display tank.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I personally would get rid of absolutely everything and start over. There could be spores even where not visible. Completely new rock and unfortunately, corals.

Yeah just having hard time tossing all my coral. Some this stuff have had for 5 years. But more I think only way is qt it all for a couple months from fresh cut coral, rinsed in water change from qt to try flush spores out. Still in air if even if I want to attempt tho.

I just read this thread and agree its weird stuff in your tank. I don't think I've ever felt coraline algae slime up. I'd nuke it all. Take out your fish snails and the corals your friends want that arent SPS and kill the tank. Honestly in my 450G system I'd consider pouring a gallon or two of muriatic acid right into the display tank.

Yeah been thinking of doing acid just to remove coraline and also clean old dead coral skelton off rock. Run acid threw system cleaning all plumbing pumps sump etc.

Thinking taking on the project of breakdown after Christmas. Get it taken down and soaking clean etc. Maybe cook and seed rock while I wait for taxes. After taxes and living room remodeled then set it back up.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in this, and think its awesome (not the fact that its burdening you, but its crazy growth). I work at an aquarium, and heck, if you'd be willing to send me a little baggie with some of this stuff, I'd love to set up a small, dedicated tank and see what it does in there. I'll keep you all posted. I have never heard of anything like this. Is this a possibility?

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So other night I got up in my tank and did some down pic with water off. One crazy thing I noticed right way that it wasn't really growing at all. Like this first photo that plug fell off a month or two ago and yet to be covered with CL but instead algae is being allowed to grow there finally. Other thing I noticed right away is it was a light pink and not the vibrant purple pink it was when growing fast.
20171212_192934t.jpg

I did notice tho I had some fresh stn in middle of my blasto and my hurricane chalice looked like crap with washed out colors but has almost doubled in size since May.
20171212_193110t.jpg
20171212_193114t.jpg

Was looking down taking pics and I saw this chunk sitting here and I remembered I knocked it off the overflow wall a two months back when I pulled all powerheads and cleaned them. It blew down there I guess and landed.
20171212_193148t.jpg

When I picked it up I noticed one side don't look like other side of this chunk of CL. This first photo is side that was exposed to light and other side it the color it was back in May and growing at a high rate. If you look at close at second picture you can actually see where it has white rings and is expanding. When at peak growth it would have good 1/8" of white around edge of it growing over ever rock and plastic item.
20171212_193242t.jpg
20171212_193246t.jpg

This is photo of it after I removed it. It killed the monti in that spot but one thing I noticed at top chunk CL and also part I circled the corals like this monti are finally winning the fight against the CL and is able to clear some space for expansion on to it.
20171212_193313t.jpg

But this has come at cost of no water changes since May on coral color. After checking numbers again found potassium was about 200 points low with my own test kit. First time I have done this test in 11 months and last time was fine. When I did Triton water test a few years back when corals faded in color then it was low by 60 points and was doing weekly water changes then. I don't have other test for other elements like iodine and don't know any locals with one. I am still going to take down and restart this thing but it just created a big mess for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in this, and think its awesome (not the fact that its burdening you, but its crazy growth). I work at an aquarium, and heck, if you'd be willing to send me a little baggie with some of this stuff, I'd love to set up a small, dedicated tank and see what it does in there. I'll keep you all posted. I have never heard of anything like this. Is this a possibility?

I am sure I could. Would love to see it under microscope as seem most want scope view to even look at it. Contact me up.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a lot a patience I would have restarted everything a long time ago . May the force be with you

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a complete teardown perhaps starving it out?
Get the surviving corals removing any pieces of the algae and qt. And letting the dt use up whatever “it” requires to grow. Perhaps before it started taking over the corals were stressed and stopped growing freeing up elements letting the algae grow. And now that its biomass is greater than the corals in the tank, its simple unicellular biology is allowing it to maintain its dominance in the tank.
You could also during this period dose to change the ratio of NPK, as it seems it readily grows in N and P limited while removing K readily. Perhaps dosing P?
Since calcium uptake is inhibited by phosphate.

OP
OP
slivacki

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a lot a patience I would have restarted everything a long time ago . May the force be with you

At first thought it was in balance or issue with pest etc. With anything in this hobby u do some change and have to wait to see if it takes effect. So yeah it has taken time to try and figure out what was causing this issue. Then time to see whu this stuff growing so fast to out compete corals.

Instead of a complete teardown perhaps starving it out?
Get the surviving corals removing any pieces of the algae and qt. And letting the dt use up whatever “it” requires to grow. Perhaps before it started taking over the corals were stressed and stopped growing freeing up elements letting the algae grow. And now that its biomass is greater than the corals in the tank, its simple unicellular biology is allowing it to maintain its dominance in the tank.
You could also during this period dose to change the ratio of NPK, as it seems it readily grows in N and P limited while removing K readily. Perhaps dosing P?
Since calcium uptake is inhibited by phosphate.

I have thought about not taking down but starving it out. I am sure have to remove most other inhabinets. Not sure if just removing food for it would do in removing spores. Right now sure looks sick compared to what it was during peak of it growning.

I could always cut only chunks of living tissue from some of my coral like chalice etc that won't have any dead material to spread living CL. But like with chalice could skin or chalice itself have any chance of bring it into qt any spores or cl or annome? I want to save for my old mated set clowns? Also what about things like lps that normally need part dead to start again.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c4f9ad7671fd5b83a4a6bc42eb058e05.jpg

It just coralline it comes in a variety of colors some only found in the ocean.
It'll plate over itself and is a huge help in preventing hair algae and other nuisance algaes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back