OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t care for the product. Doesn’t get rid of them for me. Always disappear for a week and come back with 3x as many.
Sounds not good, I have 2 bergula nudibranch in there too, for about a month, haven't seen them or any aiptasia die

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the berghia a chance. I threw in a dozen in a 180 gallon. It took a couple months or more to see any change. Then all the aptasia disappeared In a matter of weeks. Probably had over 100 aptasia to start with. All the aptasia remedies I used before the berghias made them multiply.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the berghia a chance. I threw in a dozen in a 180 gallon. It took a couple months or more to see any change. Then all the aptasia disappeared In a matter of weeks. Probably had over 100 aptasia to start with. All the aptasia remedies I used before the berghias made them multiply.
Ok sounds good, I'll probably get the aipstatia x , since it's at my LFS and the only box, same price as online...I figure better to have it than not.

A dozen of them cost an arm and a leg, lol $23 per in Canada

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would they eat bubble tip anemones as well?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that aptasia x does work. I am not sure what everyone is talking about when they say it makes things worse. If you use aptasia x weekly you will have no aptasia but you will be have to do it forever.

My personal favorite solution for aptasia are predators but not nudibranchs. Nudibranchs some times work and sometimes don’t but more importantly once they eat all the aptasia they die. Then if aptasia is every introduced again you will need to repeat the process. With a butterflyfish, filefish, or peppermint shrimp as long as you keep them in the tank you will never have to worry about aptasia ever again.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that aptasia x does work. I am not sure what everyone is talking about when they say it makes things worse. If you use aptasia x weekly you will have no aptasia but you will be have to do it forever.

My personal favorite solution for aptasia are predators but not nudibranchs. Nudibranchs some times work and sometimes don’t but more importantly once they eat all the aptasia they die. Then if aptasia is every introduced again you will need to repeat the process. With a butterflyfish, filefish, or peppermint shrimp as long as you keep them in the tank you will never have to worry about aptasia ever again.

What’s the point in doing it every week? The product is supposed to kill aiptasia...that eliminates the sole purpose behind the product if you have to use it every week...reason for people saying it does not work???

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pepermint shrimp to reduce them.
I actually let one get the size of a half dollar, lol.
I just X'ed it out.
The key is to turn off all pumps and drop the product right on the mouth before it retracts.
I have X'ed all of the ones that get to big.
Great product and it doesnt take much.
Even X'ed some mojanos too.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds not good, I have 2 bergula nudibranch in there too, for about a month, haven't seen them or any aiptasia die

I don't know the size of your tank but they eat in packs and 2 unless of the large size, wont do you much good. It takes about 4 medium/small ones to eat a single medium size aiptasia head. Aiptasia can also eat them... You also want a bit more so they can breed. I also don't know your fish stocking, but this is another reason to get at least 10, they can get picked off and with a larger group reproduce faster.
It should take 3-6 months depending on tank size, how many nudis you have, how many aiptasia you have etc.

Good FAQ on them from reeftown.
nudi FAQ

" If you want to pay, you can purchase hundreds of Berghia for immediate results; or you can wait for them to create a “voracious aiptasia eliminating nudi colony,” If you introduce the recommended quantity of Berghia it should take about 3 months to achieve a 2nd egg laying population of Berghia. This is when the aiptasia don’t stand a chance. At this point, the time frame is relative to the extent of the aiptasia problem and the number of predators present that eat Berghia. "

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't know your fish stocking, but this is another reason to get at least 10, they can get picked off and with a larger group reproduce faster.
It should take 3-6 months depending on tank size, how many nudis you have, how many aiptasia you have etc.

Unfortunately that's about $250-300 worth of nudis so a tough pill to swallow. Honestly the only thing that got rid of my aiptasia problem was shutting the tank down entirely and restarting. And that came with some heavy dipping and scrubbing along with qt for my corals. The nudis might have worked but there were none available at the time.

Other fish will help the problem but will NEVER get rid of them entirely...

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that's about $250-300 worth of nudis so a tough pill to swallow. Honestly the only thing that got rid of my aiptasia problem was shutting the tank down entirely and restarting. And that came with some heavy dipping and scrubbing along with qt for my corals. The nudis might have worked but there were none available at the time.

Other fish will help the problem but will NEVER get rid of them entirely...
Closer to about 150 but i get your point. It's expensive. And then they die... It sucks, but sadly this is one of the only ways to do it. I wanted to do a peppermint, but the risk of it eating corals in my softie/lps tank is to high. Copperbands and fish are 50/50. These nudis only eat aiptasia, so they work 100 percent, just an expensive option.
Mine have been kicking but this last month, so i would recommend them and i have 2 wrasse...(which are predators) LOL.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So it works, but not long term?

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the size of your tank but they eat in packs and 2 unless of the large size, wont do you much good. It takes about 4 medium/small ones to eat a single medium size aiptasia head. Aiptasia can also eat them... You also want a bit more so they can breed. I also don't know your fish stocking, but this is another reason to get at least 10, they can get picked off and with a larger group reproduce faster.

Good FAQ on them from reeftown.
nudi FAQ

" If you want to pay, you can purchase hundreds of Berghia for immediate results; or you can wait for them to create a “voracious aiptasia eliminating nudi colony,” If you introduce the recommended quantity of Berghia it should take about 3 months to achieve a 2nd egg laying population of Berghia. This is when the aiptasia don’t stand a chance. At this point, the time frame is relative to the extent of the aiptasia problem and the number of predators present that eat Berghia. "
My build is under my name

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closer to about 150 but i get your point. It's expensive. And then they die... It sucks, but sadly this is one of the only ways to do it. I wanted to do a peppermint, but the risk of it eating corals in my softie/lps tank is to high. Copperbands and fish are 50/50. These nudis only eat aiptasia, so they work 100 percent, just an expensive option.
Mine have been kicking but this last month, so i would recommend them and i have 2 wrasse...(which are predators) LOL.
I'm thinking I may just have to suck it up and buy a handful when I can :(

@$23.50 each....ouch

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I may just have to suck it up and buy a handful when I can :(
I bought like 11-13 i forgot, most being medium size with a few large ones to eat the large aiptasia, for my 120. Within the first day or so, the rock i put them on was aiptasia free, it's been about a month now and ive seen a good reduction, i check on them sometimes if i get up or am up at 1am to see if they are still alive. They can get pretty big.
They really do work, it just sucks they are so expensive. But at the price of corals in my tank, its worth it to me :)
If you do it, you and your tank will thank yourself later once the sting stops hurting in the wallet LOL

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back