Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
I bought like 11-13 i forgot, most being medium size with a few large ones to eat the large aiptasia, for my 120. Within the first day or so, the rock i put them on was aiptasia free, it's been about a month now and ive seen a good reduction, i check on them sometimes if i get up or am up at 1am to see if they are still alive. They can get pretty big.
They really do work, it just sucks they are so expensive. But at the price of corals in my tank, its worth it to me :)
If you do it, you and your tank will thank yourself later once the sting stops hurting in the wallet LOL
Sooooo true

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closer to about 150 but i get your point. It's expensive. And then they die... It sucks, but sadly this is one of the only ways to do it. I wanted to do a peppermint, but the risk of it eating corals in my softie/lps tank is to high. Copperbands and fish are 50/50. These nudis only eat aiptasia, so they work 100 percent, just an expensive option.
Mine have been kicking but this last month, so i would recommend them and i have 2 wrasse...(which are predators) LOL.

In Canada, IF you can even find them they range from $25-30 each. Definitely cheaper in the US by a landslide.

I agree they really are the best option unfortunately

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only put them in once so I don’t know about multiple applications. My tank is a 180 gallon and I bought a dozen smalls. The rock was covered with aptasia Literally maybe a hundred Or more. You should get them cheaper by the tens or by The dozen. Can’t speak about Canada though. Mine were ordered in for me by my LFS In Florida. A long way from Canada I know. You can get them off the internet From Reeftown or Saltyunderground.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that aptasia x does work. I am not sure what everyone is talking about when they say it makes things worse. If you use aptasia x weekly you will have no aptasia but you will be have to do it forever.

My personal favorite solution for aptasia are predators but not nudibranchs. Nudibranchs some times work and sometimes don’t but more importantly once they eat all the aptasia they die. Then if aptasia is every introduced again you will need to repeat the process. With a butterflyfish, filefish, or peppermint shrimp as long as you keep them in the tank you will never have to worry about aptasia ever again.
+1 to peppermint shrimp.

I had a handful of aptasia before, added a few peppermint shrimp, and all aptasia were gone in a couple weeks.

They are very hearty and have never bothered my lps.

They just hang out in crevices in the rock, eat a bit of mysis every now and then, and will forever keep my tank aptasia free.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the point in doing it every week? The product is supposed to kill aiptasia...that eliminates the sole purpose behind the product if you have to use it every week...reason for people saying it does not work???
We need to decide if we are trying to practice aptasia eradication or aptasia management. If we are trying to eliminate aptasia the only method of eliminating aptasia is thoroughly quarantining every rock and coral and throwing out anything infected if a single aptasia is found.

If we are managing aptasia then it is a continual process of pulling out the weeds. I use roundup to kill weeds at my house. I check for weeds weekly and spray them with roundup. Is this because round up doesn't work? No, Roundup works but permanently eliminating the weeds is a fantasy. Likewise permanently eliminating aptasia is a fantasy. There will always be aptasia in the plumbing or deep in the rockwork so even if you kill all the visible anemones more will come. Because of this I prefer to manage aptasia with biological methods like aptasia eating fish. They will stop the anemones from growing to problematic proportions without any additional work.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to decide if we are trying to practice aptasia eradication or aptasia management. If we are trying to eliminate aptasia the only method of eliminating aptasia is thoroughly quarantining every rock and coral and throwing out anything infected if a single aptasia is found.

If we are managing aptasia then it is a continual process of pulling out the weeds. I use roundup to kill weeds at my house. I check for weeds weekly and spray them with roundup. Is this because round up doesn't work? No, Roundup works but permanently eliminating the weeds is a fantasy. Likewise permanently eliminating aptasia is a fantasy. There will always be aptasia in the plumbing or deep in the rockwork so even if you kill all the visible anemones more will come. Because of this I prefer to manage aptasia with biological methods like aptasia eating fish. They will stop the anemones from growing to problematic proportions without any additional work.
I think I will be going the nudibranch way...I'd rather it be more natural, not chemical if I don't need to right now.

Thanks for all your helpful information :)

Sqwertyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great success with my peppermint shrimp. I had 8 or so visible aiptasia in my 20 gallon, added one shrimp and he did away with them within a few days. The shrimp lived in my tank for a couple months following that and he mostly hid until feeding time and he came out and ate. He eventually disappeared lol, but solved my aiptasia problem entirely.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can agree to this, but the weeds are not the same weeds you killed the time before you used roundup again. Your basically saying that aiptasia is regenerating like a weed, which should not be the case in a fixed ecosystem. Once you kill that weed, others re-grow. Can’t really compare to two...

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree to this, but the weeds are not the same weeds you killed the time before you used roundup again. Your basically saying that aiptasia is regenerating like a weed, which should not be the case in a fixed ecosystem. Once you kill that weed, others re-grow. Can’t really compare to two...
This is where I would disagree. I believe that aptasiaX can completely kill anemones. I have seen tanks with bad out breaks that have been reduced to much lower often unnoticeable levels after using aptasia X. Does it take multiple treatments? Sometimes but I don't think its use should be discouraged.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I would disagree. I believe that aptasiaX can completely kill anemones. I have seen tanks with bad out breaks that have been reduced to much lower often unnoticeable levels after using aptasia X. Does it take multiple treatments? Sometimes but I don't think its use should be discouraged.

i will agree to disagree :)

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would somehow kill my anemone?

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the logic here

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they are more or less the same anemone. Everything except possibly berghia leave a minute amount of tissue down in the cracks the aptasia anchor themselves in. The aptasia will regrow multiple new ones from the small amount left over. I’ve read berghia eat every morsel leaving nothing to regrow. It’s been a few months since my population was decimated by the berghia and not one aptasia has resurfaced. Fingers crossed! I’ve read the berghia dont live long after their food source dries up.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 2 dozen aiptasia in my aquarium, would Aiptasia‑X work?

I've never used it before, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey. I think I spotted 2 aptasia on a coral frag of zoa. I live in Canada too, was wondering what method you chose to do, and how things are?

Rob

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I think I spotted 2 aptasia on a coral frag of zoa. I live in Canada too, was wondering what method you chose to do, and how things are?

Rob
Hi Rob, I ended up getting 2 peppermint shrimp, I'm on half a week now and about 4-5 gone, seem to lose 1-2 every couple of days. I got them from Candy Corals, but I saw online today they were out, but BigShow frags has some and Berghia nudibranch in about 2 weeks

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob, I ended up getting 2 peppermint shrimp, I'm on half a week now and about 4-5 gone, seem to lose 1-2 every couple of days. I got them from Candy Corals, but I saw online today they were out, but BigShow frags has some and Berghia nudibranch in about 2 weeks
Im pretty much certain I have 2 Aiptasia growing out 2 different zoa frags I bought. Showed up out of nowhere...just noticed today. Was like WHERE DID THESE COME FROM? My tank has been up and running about 8 months now. Contemplating Aiptasia X or getting rid of the 2 frags...then my thought pattern is, whose to say won't happen again. They 10-20$ frags...

Dunno what to do lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back