Algae help

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all testing done, finally!
So for regular test. pH, Nitrate, and Nitrite. I didn't test ammonia simply because I didn't really think I needed to.

Also water is good, 1.025.
And temp. Is at 78.

For Ca, Mg, and KH.
Ca is at 400
Mg is at about 0.65 so I would say exactly 1300.
KH is at about 0.64 so 9.0 dKH.
If I need to post pics of the three I can.
@saltyfilmfolks

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG
You probably should check ammonia. If you have an ammonia spike it could be poisoning your anemones I believe.

Fishmantim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your don't say how long tank has been set up I fought same problem for about a year tried everything so decided to do a 3 day blackout amazing never had any more problems

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go sloooooow, tweaking the light. I do mine over weeks.
Yes definitely will be going slow. I'm gonna bump it up to 10 tomorrow morning. And another 9, 2 or 3 weeks from now and so on till I get to about 40 or 50 on whites. Plus I'll check it with a lux meter when it comes in.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to jump in on this bc im not seeing any information as to where you have your blues set, you only speak of whites. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't actinic promote more photosynthetic growth then whites, whites are simply for our viewing pleasure and wouldn't nems like an increase in blues bc that's where most of there feeding is generated from. I'm sorry for jumping in if any of this has already been stated or discussed but I don't see an increase in whites alone helping the anemones much at all.

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to jump in on this bc im not seeing any information as to where you have your blues set, you only speak of whites. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't actinic promote more photosynthetic growth then whites, whites are simply for our viewing pleasure and wouldn't nems like an increase in blues bc that's where most of there feeding is generated from. I'm sorry for jumping in if any of this has already been stated or discussed but I don't see an increase in whites alone helping the anemones much at all.
I agree totally. And whites promote algae growth.... I use blues at 70% and whites at 35%. Corals like it and algae doesn't grow. [emoji106]

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all!
Yes I will be increasing blues along with my whites.
I'll slowly do it also like I am with the whites.
But I agree, the blues are very important too. I just had no clue about the levels of my light but now I know so hopefully changing the levels help them!
Thanks for your input!:)

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he's looking happy this morning. But I bet on anything he'll look pitiful sometime during the day and stay like that for a few hours.
The other one has its ups and downs too..
But I did increase the whites to 5 and blues to 10. I was going to do 10 on whites but decided slow is best since my corals are used to 1 so I didn't want to shock them too much. But next week I'll go up maybe 2 or 3 on both whites and blues. And once I get to 10 I'll increase it by 10 every 2 weeks.
I'll post a pic of what the big one looks like this morning. It's kinda hard to see with the blues on but it'll do I hope.

IMG_1876.JPG

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would aim for 70% blues and 30-35% whites that's where I run mine however I'm running different lights. Also imo 10% is a big jump at once maybe do 2-3% every 4 days so it's not so dramatic all at once. If you notice adverse side effects with your corals such as no polyp extension back off on the increases, this is how I do it and I've had great success with it.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would aim for 70% blues and 30-35% whites that's where I run mine however I'm running different lights. Also imo 10% is a big jump at once maybe do 2-3% every 4 days so it's not so dramatic all at once. If you notice adverse side effects with your corals such as no polyp extension back off on the increases, this is how I do it and I've had great success with it.
Yeah I was gonna try to get to atleast 30-50% whites and maybe 60-80% blues when it's all said and done.
Yes today I increased it by 4 on whites and 9 on blues. I think that should be good for now and I was gonna increase it by maybe 2 or 3 next week or the week after depending on if they look ok with the increase today.
But yeah maybe 10 is too much in one increase so I'll just stick with 2-3 every other week. Until I get to a spot where everyone looks happy.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine with 2-3% every 4-5 days that will give u a decent increase over a few weeks time and u can closely monitoring how everything is reacting to the increase, 2-3 every other week will take u months to get at ur desired settings. If you think it's moving too fast then maybe 3% a week which will still take forever but better then every other week.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine with 2-3% every 4-5 days that will give u a decent increase over a few weeks time and u can closely monitoring how everything is reacting to the increase, 2-3 every other week will take u months to get at ur desired settings. If you think it's moving too fast then maybe 3% a week which will still take forever but better then every other week.
Ok 4-5 days sounds good. I don't think that's too much, so I'll increase it by 2-3% every Wednesday till I get to a good stopping point. I'll just watch everything and see how they do and if looks like I need to go slower I will.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back