All my fish dead

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH of 7.0 will kill the fish especially if it was a result of excess top off resulting in a rapid change in salinity along with excess CO2

I don't see it as being likely that the pH was 7 prior to the fish kill. It's also unlikely even afterwards.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we also cannot rule out disease from skipping preps. adding anything wet is a known vector, biosecurity article by Jay. I would assume then for all five years, anything stocked didn't pass through fallow or qt at all?

if so, disease not only can't be ruled out it moves up to #1 most likely / solely going off today's trending where anything from the pet store is as dirty the dance floor at studio 54 in 1974 and when only fish are dying...

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we also cannot rule out disease from skipping preps. adding anything wet is a known vector, biosecurity article by Jay. I would assume then for all five years, anything stocked didn't pass through fallow or qt at all?

if so, disease not only can't be ruled out it moves up to #1 most likely / solely going off today's trending where anything from the pet store is as dirty the dance floor at studio 54 in 1974 and when only fish are dying...
Disease and all fish overnight? Unlikely.

O2 is the likely issue, How is the question.

Last edited:

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that pH drop sudden or do you usually run low?

I woke up one day to the fish and inverts dead in a 15 gallon. I don't remember how low my pH had dropped but the real problem was a bacterial bloom using up all of the oxygen. Unlike my 60 gallon, the bloom didn't become visible until after it had killed the fish.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think O2 deficiency is one of the few things that would kill all fish overnight with no obvious symptoms but leave inverts and coral unaffected. I'm not sure if inverts are perhaps more resilient to low pH than fish though.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back