Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this. Wish I had time right now to do that search.
I'll be getting into this and possibly trying myself.

Please tell me the 3 best brands of aquarium LEDs you know.
Explain why would you choose them and the features they've got.

If LEDs are really BETTER than MHs and/or T5s all those people are wrong and the ones going back to their old MHs/T5 fixtures shouldn't.

Let's tell them why.
I'll be reading your posts as soon as I can.
If you have pictures also would be great.

I'll be waiting to see this thread to prove the MH/T5 wrong.

I just can't believe so many hobbyists made such mistake.

If you have LEDs and is going back to T5/MH tell us why.

That would be the best way to prove me wrong.
Thanks!

Grandis.

Last edited:

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If LEDs are really BETTER than MHs and/or T5s all those people are wrong and the ones going back to their old MHs/T5 fixtures shouldn't.

Let's tell them why.

Thanks!

Grandis.

Care to comment on my last post and why the 2 halide examples u linked were not pertinent to reef tanks? Also did u see the link I posted on how LEDs can put out same ir radiation but those are not relevant either?

When I first saw what u posted I was excited to learn something but the more I researched I saw that what you're suggesting has no relevance.

Still waiting on more accurate info! Thx again:)

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to stir up an argument, but I am offering my opinion, once again my opinion, so please do not take this wrong. I have run halides and T5s over my tanks for years, I loved my growth and color and was completely happy. I got a new tank and decided to go with LEDs. My coral growth honestly is not any better, but the colors they give off are. The lights make my corals pop, but I can't say they show better coral growth. This being said for me led, T5 and halide are equal to me. At the moment I see many fixtures rival each other, but there is no clear "number 1" in my mind.

bigfoot86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I think it's you that has to prove us wrong and you KNOW you can't. I have all the proof of led success in my tank after 2 years....getting tired of people that ran leds for less than 12 months think that they are worthless, it's called EXPERIMENTING and if you don't want to do it, then stick with your t5 and mh's. It's not for everyone. You have no evidence whatsover to back up anything you're saying, period.

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my zoas are doing better under LEDs once I switched from compact flourescent. They're bigger, reproducing faster and open wider. One thing that bothers me in this hobby is when someone tells me what's best when I can see for myself what's working best in my tank. Results are all I care about and I'm getting them. Why does anyone try to prove other people wrong on something like this? All three lights produce good results for different people. The only right answer in my book is the one that makes your tank thrive. And that can differ from one person to the next. Enough said in my book.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you guys like a lot scientific evidences. You live for that.
I'm waiting for yours to show me and prove that your LEDs are actually so much better than MHs/T5s.

You must have the scientific evidences because all you talk about is that. LOL!!

When you say it's not for everyone sounds like you are better than others somehow. Is that what you mean?
If not, so what? I think it's good to teach them what they are missing. Perhaps they could be like you, and everyone would be the same…
Then I would be busted!!! LOL!!

I better stop posting 'cause just don't have the time for that stuff.

Thanks,
Grandis.

Last edited:

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let's tell them why.

Thanks!

Grandis.

Read my post a page or 2 back. IR is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO CORALS. Stop discussing it because it isn't getting more than a centimeter or two down into the water. It is absorbed into the water as heat. It has zero impact on the corals themselves, it only impacts the temperature of your aquarium. IR is a BAD thing for lighting a fish tank. The less IR transferred between the light and the tank, the cooler the tank will be.

No light source is better than another - they are all sources of light. Light is just photons - it doesn't matter where it comes from, they are all the same. CRI is only really useful for things like photography or other things where a sensor is picking up the light since photo sensors don't work the same way as photosynthesis.... Again, your coral doesn't really care what the CRI of your light is, only that it is putting out the needed PAR/PUR in the spectrum needed by the photoreactive chemicals (chlorophylls, carotenoids, phycobilins, etc.).

If you want a good looking tank you need to research YOUR LIVESTOCK instead of researching a light. The light is incidental to having a good looking tank. My tank would look great with LED, T5, or MH. It did look great under both T5s and now LEDs and I still use my T5s on my quarantine tank. If you know the PAR requirements for your photosynthetic livestock and understand what photoinhibition is and how to prevent it with whatever lightsouce you have (through dimming or placement) then your coral isn't going to care whether the light is coming from MH, LED, or T5.

bigfoot86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute, no one said that leds were so much better than t5/mh. Now you're just trying to flip it around, YOU are the one that said leds don't even come close to t5/mh. You basically implied that t5/mh are better and that's a FACT. Not so, try again.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for yours to show me and prove that your LEDs are actually so much better than MHs/T5s.

You must have the scientific evidences because all you talk about is that. LOL!!

When you say it's not for everyone sounds like you are better than others somehow. Is that what you mean?
If not, so what? I think it's good to teach them what they are missing. Perhaps they could be like you, and everyone would be the same…

Thanks,
Grandis.

I don't need scientific evidence. My corals are thriving under LEDs. No one needs to prove anything to anyone. Enough already with putting other people down.

Wildexpressions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, some of us like facts ... imagine that eh.

A few posts back you went from being a decent sort of fellow who was simply uneducated, but still trying to be helpful, into someone who appears to be intentionally spreading completely false information while being passively rude and insulting to others.

You certainly are not making friends or helping anyone so I'm not sure that you are not simply trolling. Why else would someone hang out on a forum spreading lies and insulting people?

Each to his own I guess.

Wildexpressions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that you folks that are fanatically stating your LED's are the best simply becasue your Zoa's are doing better then they did under your previous lights are apply some pretty poor logic yourselves.

This thread is a clear reminder why I generally don't get involved in forum discussions.

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Grandis.

To be fair no one came out saying that LEDs are "so much better" than mh or T5. Actually looking at some other threads it shows that you are in fact saying LEDs are not even equal to T5 or halide and that they can't come close.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390321015.012665.jpg
you actually said that "T5s are much better than LEDs today".

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that you folks that are fanatically stating your LED's are the best simply becasue your Zoa's are doing better then they did under your previous lights are apply some pretty poor logic yourselves.

This thread is a clear reminder why I generally don't get involved in forum discussions.

No fanaticism here. But if corals are doing better under LEDs than other lights in my tank, it's not illogical to say that they work better for me. I think it just makes sense. I'm not trying to change anyone else's mind. I'm just sharing my personal experience. In the end, we all have to figure out what works best in our tanks. And that comes with a lot of trial and error.

bigfoot86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea not sure what your trying to say wildexpressions, NO ONE said leds are better than t5 and mh.....all of us that are supporting leds are doin just that, supporting...no one is putting down t5's and mh. You should reread the posts before you posts. Not trying to be mean....just saying.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back