All zoa tank what lights to use???

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to end it bc I'm flowflezys gf... He posted this and we're on the way to get an ecotech generation 2 radion led...so wanted to know what others thought that have this led now...

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using the ecotech gen 2 radions? ....

I just got mine up and running. tank is still cycling, so I have not gotten it dialed in or tweaked the settings yet, but so far, it is an awesome light. I have one over a 40B and am very impressed with the spread, color, and brightness. Also, they will be upgradable to the gen3 or beyond, so its not a bad investment long term.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some shots from a friend of mine's all LED zoa-dominated 75g:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I shoot with a Canon 50D and 60mm macro lens. I shot these at our reef club meeting he hosted in November. No tripod, and didn't have much time to review for proper exposure...these are a bit over-exposed IMO. I would like the chance to get back over to his house and photograph the entire tank again without being pressed for time. It's a beautiful display!

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, well, well...

Here I come again!!!!! :xd:

Once there is no scientific evidences to prove that either MH, T5s or LEDs actually have substantial differences for the growth, reproduction and health of zoas and corals, I decided to find out more talking to people...

I've been trying to find time to talk to some of my friends and digging deeper to find out their observations about the differences between T5s, MHs and LEDs.

Basically I wasn't trying to prove my point, but went towards the LEDs instead, defending the fact that they should provide decent, or even optimal, light for zoas and SPS corals too!!
I do not want to see differences between zoas and SPS corals in regards to light. That's just me!

What did I find out?

- Their taste for the type of light chosen is what plays the most when deciding what to buy for their tanks. Many went back to their MHs or T5s just because they liked them better than LEDs!!!!
- Many agree that today's LEDs can provide decent light for the health of their animals (zoas and corals), generally speaking, for a relative long period of time. They say that growth and forms weren't compromised in any way with their LEDs.
- LEDs do emit some heat, but it's minor. Many believe that UV and IR radiation are completely unnecessary to keep the corals for long period of time. They think UV light from LEDs are mostly to remove that "bad impression" on LEDs.
- Non of them wanted to determinate what length of time would be "long" though.
- The fact that many others went back to their MHs and T5s is only because they didn't have a good approach when changing the light source used or because they didn't like the effects of extra/artificial ("disco effects") shimmering from LEDs.
- Zoas and corals, when properly adapted to their new light source, would thrive and reproduce under LEDs without any problems. To reduce intensity is almost mandatory when changing to LEDs!
- Many say that the basic spectrum of LEDs for great health is simply the combination of white and blue LEDs.
- The type of LEDs had to do with success, but basically the intensity, spectrum and area covered were things to look for.
- Some said that are coverage is best when fixture is higher with more intensity and that should be the goal for many types of systems.
- Brand and price didn't matter much. Some people are using inexpensive chinese LEDs for years with great results.
- There is a rumor about some chinese fixtures that they would get on fire and so on. I actually didn't find anyone who would say that happened with theirs!!
- Most of the problems with LEDs in the past were indeed because of the excess of intensity, or lack of proper adaptation to their new LEDs, when organisms were negatively affected by the new fixture.
- All of them say that the electricity costs are a great plus and they won't change to MHs or T5s because of that.

I do believe that if tests are done and it's working for many, there is no way to say the opposite. I went to one of my friend's home and saw a tremendous growth and many great healthy zoanthids. I actually was surprised with the whole appearance of the tank and didn't find anything negative with the LED lights at all.

I've been learning more about LEDs for aquariums for the past week or so and I come humbly here to say that I'll search more and try them on one of my zoa tanks.

I have to believe now that the influence of an artificial light source with greater infra red radiation (as heat), like the MHs or T5s, wouldn't play a significative influence on reef keeping at all.

I can't agree that LEDs aren't for everyone though. I'm sorry, but if one has success all should have.
If success can be achieved with inexpensive chinese LEDs by some, all should have same degree of success!!!!
That's probably what I'll be trying!!

I'll get some LEDs soon and will love to have my electricity bill lower than it is, of course. :tongue:
If I decide to change back to my wonderful ATI fixture I'll be publishing why, but I sure hope that I'll stick with those LEDs for long time.

I would appreciate if you guys could give me some tips when searching for different LEDs fixtures and types. Please explain your points and choices. I would think that would help many others when choosing new LED lights too.

This is a good thread!!!

Cheers!
Grandis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back