Another captive bred mandarin that won’t eat frozen foods

ilovemarinetanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our LFS has been getting in baby captive bred mandarins and we decided to pick one up that they said had been eating frozen food like a pig (we bought the food they said she had been eating.)

We didn’t know that the captive bred ones still have trouble eating frozen food sometimes. ‍ugh.

Well we’ve seen her pick at pellets and she ate three pe calanus but that’s all she’s eaten. (She got really excited when we put in mashed up LFS brand pellets and was swimming around like crazy, but she was mostly just sucking at the water although she did suck at a few pellets).

We ordered the pellets that biota recommends, and masstick and are going to be trying bloodworms today and cyclops if we can find them.

We also got the ova a few people have recommended and ordered pods.

Has anyone had success training these guys to eat frozen with live bbs mixed in with frozen and a bubbler?

We have a 60 gallon tank with her in a breeder box at the top. We’ve been trying to feed her 3-4 a day (probably more) as per biotas instructions with all powerheads off.

IMG_8659.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would just get them pods since thats their natural diet and dose them until the pod population is enough to naturally sustain their diet

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep at it and get pods going. These fish need to eat multiple times a day.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back