Any gals into aquatics?

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I have heard some research about relationships that found women's primary need is connection/with-ness and men need support/cheerleader/for-ness (to generalize). It does make sense, as a generalization.

Maybe I'm just an outlier looking for other oddballs like me. I like doing things and building things and I really think I might have made a decent mechanic or engineer, but I stuck with more socially acceptable options and I think that was a mistake.

I still have a lot of complaints about western culture, of course.... So sorry if I what I said earlier was rude, that was not my intention.

Anyway those are my thoughts...
I didn’t find anything rude on your reply to me. :)The male and female brain and thought processes are different and I feel that it’s been well documented that both nature and nurture play critical roles. Just how much each factor in is the ongoing debate I think.
I’m an oddball too, ;Wackyand considered diesel mechanics out of HS , but here I am in Accounts Payable, but I won’t complain because I can check Reef2Reef throughout the day and not get into trouble :D

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t find anything rude on your reply to me. :)The male and female brain and thought processes are different and I feel that it’s been well documented that both nature and nurture play critical roles. Just how much each factor in is the ongoing debate I think.
I’m an oddball too, ;Wackyand considered diesel mechanics out of HS , but here I am in Accounts Payable, but I won’t complain because I can check Reef2Reef throughout the day and not get into trouble :D
Funny thing with you & Iona Skye, wanting to be mechanics.

I use to be! nough said :D

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHA that is awesome! Oh my gosh I remember playing virtual aquarium games quite successfully at my first office job, because I could hide my phone in my desk and "feed" the fish every 20 min when no one was looking

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a girl. And I'm currently interviewing 2 other women who are big shot scientists working in aquaculture (for an article). They're around, but definitely not as many as men.

R2R is the publisher!! I'm the new resident writer. This is me:

writinggiphy.gif

So, stay tuned. Lots of great articles coming down the pike.

And thanks for the kind words for my name. I was surprised it wasn't taken already. I live near the ocean.

I’m intrigued... o_O
Really looking forward to that article on aquaculture, in particular. Can you elaborate on the topics or content of the article at all? Of course I understand if it must remain a mystery, but I’m curious. ;Nailbiting

And ps, I hope you know how lucky you are to be living in/near the most beautiful place on earth! Vancouver, BC, the San Juan Islands, WA are truly magnificent, incredible wonders of the world.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m intrigued... o_O
Really looking forward to that article on aquaculture, in particular. Can you elaborate on the topics or content of the article at all? Of course I understand if it must remain a mystery, but I’m curious. ;Nailbiting

And ps, I hope you know how lucky you are to be living in/near the most beautiful place on earth! Vancouver, BC, the San Juan Islands, WA are truly magnificent, incredible wonders of the world.

Hi samnaz. Yeah, I feel pretty lucky. It's not big secret about the aquaculture. I plan to use my sources a lot to answer all kinds of questions. In the short term, I'm thinking about an article on "Tips for Having a Career in Aquaculture". But these girls are just a treasure trove of information. I like the idea of quoting women scientists, and the best news is if they don't know the answer to a question, then they always know someone else who does.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..... my wife went in while I was at work, manager asks if she has any questions replies not yet, doesn't see anything she wanted, as she left he called out "bring your husband next time".

If anyone would say something like that to my wife, she'l shoot a hole in between his eyes just by her steely stare! I'm not kidding ... ;Shifty

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone would say something like that to my wife, she'l shoot a hole in between his eyes just by her steely stare! I'm not kidding ... ;Shifty
Needless to say, neither of us bothered going into that store. The owner/manager's attitude is most likely a reason it is no longer open.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to point out that when my wife & I are served in a store, any store, by a female employee, that female employee favours my wife. On the balance, a female will interact more with another female, naturally.
If we shop for furniture, or floor coverings, or kitchen appliances, or we are buying items such as fabrics, craft or homewares, it is my wife that gets all the attention, not me.
I’m not complaining. I don’t find this rude. This is perfectly natural, an understandably innocent assumption, & should be expected as the female usually plays a greater role in making these decisions, because they generally have a greater interest than the males.

A sales person in a pet store will deal with a 50/50 ratio, male to female, of interested customers.
But, when it comes to Aquarium stores, & specifically hi end specialities such as coral reef husbandry, due to varying factors, the predominance of interested persons are men. So the sales person, when confronted by a couple of opposite gender will naturally expect a connection with the bloke.

This particular aspect has no bearing on male to female participation ratios.
No one’s stopping the ladies from reefing. The more the merrier the retail industry would say. ;Greedy

Just thought I’d point these things out. :)

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I have heard some research about relationships that found women's primary need is connection/with-ness and men need support/cheerleader/for-ness (to generalize). It does make sense, as a generalization.

Maybe I'm just an outlier looking for other oddballs like me. I like doing things and building things and I really think I might have made a decent mechanic or engineer, but I stuck with more socially acceptable options and I think that was a mistake.

I still have a lot of complaints about western culture, of course.... So sorry if I what I said earlier was rude, that was not my intention.

Anyway those are my thoughts...

No regrets just look forward life is too short to look at the possibilities and things we could have been or done we wouldn’t be the people we are today without what we have done or been through
as the famous dory said
“ Just keep swimming “

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see so many women on here posting. Growing up my brothers and I had FW aquariums, sadly my sisters could of cared less. Married for 34 years the only thing my wife cares about is that I keep a pair of Flame Angels her favorite fish, my kids never took an interest except when they where babies. Now they look at it as "I am just spending their inheritance'. I set up a tank for my daughter in law but that only lasted about a year, now it sits empty. Once again I am glad to see the numbers growing just like in construction, it is nice to see more women in the industry/hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband can't understand why MEN would be interested in this hobby. He feels it is too time consuming and not a "manly" endeavor. Then I go to the fish store and they assume it is my husbands tank. Grrr... ;Facepalm ;)

Lol vicious cycle. My buddies rag me a good bit. Meanwhile they're sitting in a tree stand wearing store bought deer pee during winter.

Honestly I see a 50/50 mix of men/ women in saltwater. It's a pretty neutral from what I see. Well long term anyway

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back