Any ideas for an outdoor fish shed?

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your shed insulated?
It is insulated with r31 on the ceiling and r19 in the walls with r9 for the floor. I took out the slider and just put in a regular door. Kept from getting close to 100 in the day and below 60 at night. Keep in mind daytime high is only 75 usually where I live in the summer.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. When I started reading I never would have thought this project would break ground, and just recently too. Good luck! Some questions.

Is this for fun or commercial purposes? While 10x10 avoids the permit as already mentioned everything else will probably mean it still needs a permit. What is your water source going to be? Why are you not just building a giant tank in your house? One of the problems with these "fish houses" if it's going to be for a display you're going to have to go out there to view it. My main display tank is way way smaller then I'd like but it's in my dinning room / office so I see it for hours and hours everyday, as does everyone else in my family.
+1

I just had to break down my fish room and I have a few tank in the living room now. I am actually liking walking past my tanks everyday instead of going into the room or my shed to look at them.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i made it all the way to the roof but im hesitant to set it up with fish because im scared of the law.... might just stay a shed... the project is nearly complete with walls and doors. Just need the exterior siding.
20191017_172542.jpg

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would it be illegal for you to keep a fish tank in a shed?
Not sure but i imagine if i go all out with it and find out i have to take it down for whatever reason it will be wasted for nothing.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but i imagine if i go all out with it and find out i have to take it down for whatever reason it will be wasted for nothing.
Have a building inspector check it out after. They will tell you what changes to make to make it pass code.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a building inspector check it out after. They will tell you what changes to make to make it pass code.

most cities do not require a permit if the building is less than 10x12 and under 10 feet. will have to check your local code. Just don't hard wire power. run a cord to a twist lock.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking one of these? Great idea!
$_10.jpeg.jpg

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if it's not permanent power then it doesn't have to be inspected. If it is a twist lock it's not permanent. Obviously for safety have it inspected by an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing. But as far as code goes most places don't touch it if it's "temporary"

so wire the shed and have a box with twist lock on the outside. then wire a wip from grid to the plug.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is the shed is very tall. Like from ground to the top its like 14 feet on the highest point lol. I keep thinking i should cut it down so its 10feet max but that would be a job im not up to since its basically done. I followed some online plans and didnt consider the height lol.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the plans i followed

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the height. Plus the blocks it sits on. And 2x6 bottom frame.
Building-the-side-wall-sheets.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Cory, I have Built a few sheds and have wired a couple of green houses and hot tub/Sana shacks.
One of those was for my LFS to winter his Koi and pond plants and his kid was fragging corals in the other seasons.
First thing is to Get a permit if you haven't already, its very little money compared to what you have invested. They will make recommendations on what to do and how to do it and will let you vary in problematic areas in most cases.
When you don't things can get ugly down the road. I now see your in Canada;Wideyed Never mind.
FWIW tell them its a green house, short growing seasons ;) Best of luck

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Cory, I have Built a few sheds and have wired a couple of green houses and hot tub/Sana shacks.
One of those was for my LFS to winter his Koi and pond plants and his kid was fragging corals in the other seasons.
First thing is to Get a permit if you haven't already, its very little money compared to what you have invested. They will make recommendations on what to do and how to do it and will let you vary in problematic areas in most cases.
When you don't things can get ugly down the road. I now see your in Canada;Wideyed Never mind.
FWIW tell them its a green house, short growing seasons ;) Best of luck
Lol why the Canada comment should.i be less worried?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol why the Canada comment should.i be less worried?
I have no Idea what go's over there.
I have always had good luck with inspectors. Very helpful and will let you cheat on most things if necessary.
But I have never heard anything good from those that skirt them, in fact they will make you jump through hoops to get a final if they let you keep it.
I purchased a home and 5 years later a new neighbor didn't like my shed that was original to the home. It was on the survey, and I was being taxed on the value. That neighbor was friends with the code enforcement officer. Thank God I had the permits from the original owner or I would have had to tear it down. Custom 10 x 20' shed, prob. 5k to build.
It pays to spend 75$ on a build permit.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no Idea what go's over there.
I have always had good luck with inspectors. Very helpful and will let you cheat on most things if necessary.
But I have never heard anything good from those that skirt them, in fact they will make you jump through hoops to get a final if they let you keep it.
I purchased a home and 5 years later a new neighbor didn't like my shed that was original to the home. It was on the survey, and I was being taxed on the value. That neighbor was friends with the code enforcement officer. Thank God I had the permits from the original owner or I would have had to tear it down. Custom 10 x 20' shed, prob. 5k to build.
It pays to spend 75$ on a build permit.

For larger structures I absolutely agree.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back