Anyone ever use cheaper alternatives for RODI components?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal what’s wrong with that?

i have to agree with Eeyore on this one.
Temu is definitely the last place i would look for something like this.

Reason is, if you understand Temu marketplace.

1. Its mostly from factories which are closing, and need to move inventory at a loss even.
2. There is absolutely no quality assurance in Temu period because most of these factories won't even be open next month.
3. Id honestly pay a few dollars more, and get one from a reputable vendor on amazon, like ispring, or even geekpure.

Although i usually buy my membrane from DOW, like everyone states.
And carbon block, i will go with ispring or geekpure, and just assume i will have to swap them out more often, which is fine. It still comes out a bit cheaper then buying the premium ones which i do get for my drinking water system.

Neoma369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I've been using the Amazon stuff for years with no issues. I'm still achieving 96% rejection from the 'cheap' 150gpd membranes and the cheap sediment/carbon filters are fine. The chloramine filter is expensive no matter where you source it as been my experience. I also buy my mixed bed resin from them as well, outside of buying massive amounts or finding it on clearance, price is consistent and the color actually changes (when it exhaust) as it supposed to.

I've never had to replace a membrane. I have to replace carbon the most. Carbon blocks are expensive compared to buying a cubic foot of Calgon Centaur and using refillable canisters.
Can you please give me details on what system you have and where you get it?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of vendors are the same on Amazon. You also can’t trust that an item wasn’t opened and returned. You’ll never know if that membrane has been used and swapped. That stuff happens all the time.

My wife literally got a dress the other day that was altered and still had safety pins in it and someone had hemmed it. Said it was new and sealed in the bag.

I’d trust sediment or carbon blocks. I wouldn’t trust a membrane.

My experience has been that you can not hide the fact that a membrane is used.

I recently swapped out a new membrane (not even 3 months old) for another to troubleshoot a lack of production. When I pulled it, it was clearly used.

My issue with Amazon is the counterfeit items. There is a great deal of Chinese knock-offs.

You can get a "Dupont" membrane from them, but it isn't beyond Chinese manufactured product to slap the name on the product to make it look like the real McCoy.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back