Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

cbnspanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post results. My Nano with an oxydator barely even had an ugly phase and is doing incredibly well. Having said that, I’ve had it in there from the beginning, so don’t have a “before and after” comparison.

I would love to see more users posting about their direct experiences...
I’ve only had my 12 gallon nano running for a week with a clownfish. Put the oxydator in from day one and hoping I can mostly skip the ugly phase.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve only had my 12 gallon nano running for a week with a clownfish. Put the oxydator in from day one and hoping I can mostly skip the ugly phase.
What results would you like?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Oxydator won't have an effect on nutrients like nitrate phosphates if course. However, it will increase redox which will help reduce or eliminate cyno and diatoms. Some suggest it will also prevent GHA taking a hold but I can't verify that claim. Water should be noticeably clear but if using one from initial setup then you won't have a comparison with a before and after.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased Oxydator D size for my 60gallon system.

Can I use undiluted 35% H2O2 and compensate with a smaller catalyst instead of diluting the H2O2? The idea is so I wouldn't have to refill as often. If not, what's the recommended diluted H2O2 strength? So far only 4 small fish that gets very small feedings.

Also, for water clarity and removing contaminants, is it redundant to also run activated carbon?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is so I wouldn't have to refill as often. If not, what's the recommended diluted H2O2 strength?
Look here

Higher concentration - faster dosing. You have to test - I would start with 3 %

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I use undiluted 35% H2O2 and compensate with a smaller catalyst instead of diluting the H2O2? The idea is so I wouldn't have to refill as often. If not, what's the recommended diluted H2O2 strength? So far only 4 small fish that gets very small feedings.

Also, for water clarity and removing contaminants, is it redundant to also run activated carbon?
Why don't you want to dilute the peroxide as it makes more sense to do so? If you don't have RO water you can buy bottled distilled water cheap enough

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you want to dilute the peroxide as it makes more sense to do so? If you don't have RO water you can buy bottled distilled water cheap enough
I have a 7-stage RO/DI system, so it's not that. I just want one less piece of "equipment" to check weekly. I'm planning to put it in the back of my tiny sump and with all the other stuff in the way, it's harder to pull out and manually check for H2O2 levels.

If I were to use a 35% H2O2 but chop the included catalyst in half (or 1/4) to slow down the reaction, would this be equivalent of a dilution?

1 full catalyst = 35%
1/2 catalyst = 17.5%
1/4 catalyst = 8.75%

Undiluted H2O2 filling but 1/4 size catalyst would mean I'd get the same oxygenation, but at longer refilling interval compared to a diluted H2O2 using the full included catalyst. Please let me know if this logic is not correct.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7-stage RO/DI system, so it's not that. I just want one less piece of "equipment" to check weekly. I'm planning to put it in the back of my tiny sump and with all the other stuff in the way, it's harder to pull out and manually check for H2O2 levels.

If I were to use a 35% H2O2 but chop the included catalyst in half (or 1/4) to slow down the reaction, would this be equivalent of a dilution?

1 full catalyst = 35%
1/2 catalyst = 17.5%
1/4 catalyst = 8.75%

Undiluted H2O2 filling but 1/4 size catalyst would mean I'd get the same oxygenation, but at longer refilling interval compared to a diluted H2O2 using the full included catalyst. Please let me know if this logic is not correct.

I have never nor do I know of anybody cutting down a catalyst as you propose. I guess you could use a Dremil to do it but being ceramic it might be difficult do.
I guess the only thing to do would be to try it in a bucket of water at the same temperature as your tank and record the peroxide usage. 35% is very strong and I wouldn't feel comfortable without doing some tests first. If you try it let us know how you get on.
BTW I think the oxydator mini uses smaller catalysts.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never nor do I know of anybody cutting down a catalyst as you propose. I guess you could use a Dremil to do it but being ceramic it might be difficult do.
I guess the only thing to do would be to try it in a bucket of water at the same temperature as your tank and record the peroxide usage. 35% is very strong and I wouldn't feel comfortable without doing some tests first. If you try it let us know how you get on.
BTW I think the oxydator mini uses smaller catalysts.

I've worked extensively with a dremel before, but only on steel and wood, I've never done ceramic. If I can't cut the catalyst, then I wouldn't mind just shaving it down.

This was only a question but if it's uncharted territory, I'm a little hesitant to try it in my system if no one else has done it before. I'll do it in a bucket as you've suggested. I'll compare a 35% H2O2 using 1/4 catalyst vs 6% H2O2 full catalyst and will report back.

Is there anywhere I can purchase just the extra catalyst in the US? I bought the Oxydator D on ebay.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked extensively with a dremel before, but only on steel and wood, I've never done ceramic. If I can't cut the catalyst, then I wouldn't mind just shaving it down.

This was only a question but if it's uncharted territory, I'm a little hesitant to try it in my system if no one else has done it before. I'll do it in a bucket as you've suggested. I'll compare a 35% H2O2 using 1/4 catalyst vs 6% H2O2 full catalyst and will report back.

Is there anywhere I can purchase just the extra catalyst in the US? I bought the Oxydator D on ebay.
As far as I am aware there is no stock of Oxydator's in the US. However the shrimp tank in Canada seems the place to go.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like their located in Albuquerque, NM.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 full catalyst = 35%
1/2 catalyst = 17.5%
1/4 catalyst = 8.75%

Your reasoning assumes that the reaction rate is linear depending on the concentration ion and/or the surface area of the catalyst but - I'm not so sure about that. I suspect it instead follows some kind of exponential curve. 35% H2O2 will result in fairly strong catalysis and the number of gas molecules formed in the bottle per unit time will stir the solution a lot - resulting in a faster supply of uncatalyzed H2O2 to the catalyst.

What´s so ever - you must do some experiments to see which result you get.

Sincerely Lasse

beardog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have the largest size Söchting Oxydator which I ran on my 260g reef. I have shut that tank down and now am running a 57g with total Water volume of approx 70g. My question is can I run the large oxydator on this smaller tank without any detrimental effects? Thanks.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have the largest size Söchting Oxydator which I ran on my 260g reef. I have shut that tank down and now am running a 57g with total Water volume of approx 70g. My question is can I run the large oxydator on this smaller tank without any detrimental effects? Thanks.
Yes you can. Your just holding more peroxide than a smaller model.like the model A. You could use 9% peroxide with 2 catalysts with a well stocked 70 gallon.
BTW. I assume you have the model W in which case it isn't the largest Oxydator you can buy the W Maxi is.

josephfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always use the original h2o2 from oxydator. 6% with 2 catalysts and refill the oxydator bottle once a week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back