Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my new post on testing my tank water for excess peroxide here.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my eyes my water in my tank has been what I consider pretty clear. My Redox has been fairly low in the 215-235 range for the last 6mo and am not sure why. Used to be 265-280 a year ago and then slowly started to decrease to where it has been for the past 6mo. And yes the probe is calibrated. So I decided to do the bucket test for the first time expecting to see a big difference between tank water and RODI water and below are the results. I thought I would of seen a a bigger difference than what I observed. Not a big difference IMO. Tank water on the left and RODI on the right.
My Oxydator "W" should arrive Friday. It will be interesting to see If there will be any difference in my Redox over time. Looks looks like my 90W UV is keeping the water pretty clear.
This should be a nice test.
20230301_150543.jpg

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received the 35% peroxide and mixed exactly 257ml H2O2 and 743ml RODI to get a 9% mix. Instructions on the "W" say it holds 1000ml and to fill it all the way up. 1000ml leaves an airgap. Is this fine or should I make a little more and top it off?
20230305_120214.jpg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just received the 35% peroxide and mixed exactly 257ml H2O2 and 743ml RODI to get a 9% mix. Instructions on the "W" say it holds 1000ml and to fill it all the way up. 1000ml leaves an airgap. Is this fine or should I make a little more and top it off?
20230305_120214.jpg
I have the same one in the sump.of my 120 and I always fill it to the top.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't see if that's a clear plastic bottle but if it is I would keep it in a dark cool place. Peroxide degrades very quickly in the light. I have mine in a mini fridge that I keep my fish food in.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see if that's a clear plastic bottle but if it is I would keep it in a dark cool place. Peroxide degrades very quickly in the light. I have mine in a mini fridge that I keep my fish food in.
That is an empty bottle that I used to mix the 1000ml of H2O2. I have 35% bringing it down to 9%. 257ml of H2O2 and 743ml of RODI. As far as how much to fill the container, I posted on the Facebook page and atoll who started the page but goes by a different name does not recommend filling it all the way. In fact he said I may want to go less than the 1000ml I put in. I am going to stick with the 1000ml.
Just an FYI, below is an email I sent with a response to the Manufacturer of the 35% peroxide:

Hello,

I will be using your 35% Hydrogen peroxide diluted to 9-12% in a Sochting Oxydator to supply O2 to a Reef Tank. What is the shelf life of your product un-opened and once opened? This will determine the bottle size I order.

2/27/2023
H2O2 DEGRADE 6% A YEAR
NO MATTER HOW STORED
THANK YOU

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. Most of the information with regards to the use and effectiveness of oxidators as far as I've read is anecdotal at best. I use one on each of my tanks because I don't see any negative effects and do believe they help. I have been using them for a few years and have had great luck with not losing any fish even though they show a few spots occasionally. I think the extra oxygen in the water helps. As far as hydrogen peroxide breaking down, I don't really trust advice from someone trying to sell you something.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305_212418_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_212418_Google.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 38

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Most of the information with regards to the use and effectiveness of oxidators as far as I've read is anecdotal at best. I use one on each of my tanks because I don't see any negative effects and do believe they help. I have been using them for a few years and have had great luck with not losing any fish even though they show a few spots occasionally. I think the extra oxygen in the water helps. As far as hydrogen peroxide breaking down, I don't really trust advice from someone trying to sell you something.
Their bottles are light and UV protected so I think they where talking about storage whether in a fridge, cool place or room temp. What I liked about there product and packaging was the bottles have a pinch on them in case of any expansion. The tops were taped and they were bagged in two very heavy sealed plastic bags and wrapped in a 3rd thin plastic bag. I believe this company has been in business since the early 80's. They are the only company that I researched that supplies their 35% peroxide to commercial aquariums which this caught my eye. They sell many products but they only sale 35% peroxide and on their website they explain why. Made sense to me. They have been recommended by a few people on on this thread so I decided to give them a try.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their bottles are light and UV protected so I think they where talking about storage whether in a fridge, cool place or room temp. What I liked about there product and packaging was the bottles have a pinch on them in case of any expansion. The tops were taped and they were bagged in two very heavy sealed plastic bags and wrapped in a 3rd thin plastic bag. I believe this company has been in business since the early 80's. They are the only company that I researched that supplies their 35% peroxide to commercial aquariums which this caught my eye. They sell many products but they only sale 35% peroxide and on their website they explain why. Made sense to me. They have been recommended by a few people on on this thread so I decided to give them a try.
I've never used them but they seem like a great option. I have bought some from a company called bulk peroxide and the packaged it pretty well similar to what you described. I got a gallon of 50% from a local company that supplies hotels for laundry use. Apparently it gets sheets and towels super white! Lol. It's food grade but pretty potent stuff. I dilute it down to 12%.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would post the results of adding my "W" running only 9% with 2 catalyst. I put this in my sump 20hrs ago.
The location in the sump is in the skimmer section next to the weir going to the return section. So far I am extremely pleased with the results. My REDOX has always been in the low 200's and as you can see in the chart it has increased approx 64mv in 20hrs. It has pretty much stabled out now that the lights are on and as my PH slowly rises to it's max of 8.47 which is the limit I allow it to go using my controller. My water has always been fairly clear but my wife and I can see a recognizable difference in water clarity. The photos are looking thru 7ft of water and 1/2" Starfire Glass. The Starfish you see on the shelf is 9.5ft away from the far side of the tank. Also put a post-it on the glass to see if you can read it.
My skimmer is skimming about the same and yes I skim wet. Skimming wet seems to keep my salinity in check from adding 2 part. In fact I occasionally have to add a little saltwater to my sump if my skimmer starts skimming a little to wet but normally stays pretty consistent. I cracked my conductivity probe and have not replaced it yet so I am using my Hanna for salinity. I checked my NO3 and PO4 and they are at my normal values. I was not expecting any change and there wasn't. I checked for peroxide in the tank and the test strip did not register. I also checked the peroxide level directly above the Oxydator and it also did not register as shown in the photo. To test the test strips I put one drop of 3% peroxide in 1pint of RODI and it registered to the darkest color. I know these test strips don't give you the ppb but at least the 0ppm is giving me piece of mind.
All my corals, fish and inverts are doing just fine. My tank plus sump is 255gal total water volume.
My plan is to try 12% with 2 catalyst in the near future to see if more improvement in REDOX. Not sure if I can get much clearer water.
Photos where taken with my phone so not the best quality. Sorry for that.

Remember these are just results for my tank and the setup I run. I am not making any recommendations at this time until I can collect more data over the next few weeks but so far so good.

20230305_120214.jpg
20230306_094421.jpg
20230306_092259.jpg
20230306_092327.jpg
20230306_090153.jpg
20230306_094008.jpg
20230306_094825.jpg
20230306_095125.jpg
2023-03-06.png
2023-03-06 (1).png

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a DIY option with regards to the catalyst?
Yep, you can use a small piece of silver. Never tried it and can't advise on size but I would guess a similar size to the Oxydator catalysts but perhaps smaller. You would have to experiment to find the ideal size.

Schoolfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, you can use a small piece of silver. Never tried it and can't advise on size but I would guess a similar size to the Oxydator catalysts but perhaps smaller. You would have to experiment to find the ideal size.
Thanks for your feedback

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want to DIY on the catalyst? They're $1.50? Too much risk or time to see a better benefit of it?
Thet aren't always available, often out of stock. He's also in Cape Town which could be a factor.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do last "forever" right ? Does anyone have or know about a mixing/installation video? Instructions seem straight forward but always nervous.
Not quite the company only stare they last a very long time so a bit like.
97-090719195401.jpg

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silver is used to disinfect drinking water and water in swimming pools, and is an antibacterial agent. Not sure how much would be released by the oxidation process, but would be shy to introduce it to a reef tank.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silver is used to disinfect drinking water and water in swimming pools, and is an antibacterial agent. Not sure how much would be released by the oxidation process, but would be shy to introduce it to a reef tank.
We are talking a very small pellet of it approx 3/8" x 1/14" very little of which would disolve. It's a catalysts for an Oxydator only.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back