Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

cannoli56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a oxydator w to my 280g mixed reef DT. I am looking for some information on how happy people are that are using it to cure and prevent marine ick and velvet disease.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a oxydator w to my 280g mixed reef DT. I am looking for some information on how happy people are that are using it to cure and prevent marine ick and velvet disease.

I've used a W model for 5 or 6 years now. I don't know if it prevented ick or velvet, but I've never had it in the reef. It could very well be a coincidence.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used properly it will probably reduce some stress factors to help their immunity. I am not sure if it will directly affect the organisms that cause the diseases, but it very well could. I QT all of my fish though.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used properly it will probably reduce some stress factors to help their immunity. I am not sure if it will directly affect the organisms that cause the diseases, but it very well could. I QT all of my fish though.
In the 40 years I have been using Oxydator's in numerous tanks with fish from all manner of LFSs I haven't had a single breakout of any disease.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll make no claims, as I am not a scientist. I have one I put in my 32 gallon about 7 months ago. Water stays clean and all fish are fat and happy. Coincidence? I dunno.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say an oxydator will cure whitespot perhaps it will as others have made that claim. What I can tell you is that it is at least help in getting rid of the parasite in its free swimming stage it would seem and aiding the breathing of an infected fish. Helping the fish to fight off the infection.

bdevillier19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll,
I just purchased 2 Oxydator A based on reading your posts in the earlier parts of the thread. After fast forwarding through the thread it seems you changed your setup a bit. My tank is roughly 120-130 gallons operating volume with a pretty light bio load at the moment (4 chromis, Pygmy angle, yellow watchman, fat clownfish, 4-5 rbta and a mixed reef). I was originally thinking of 2 A’s with 2 catalyst each at 6% for starters. Will this be ok or is 2 A’s not needed?

Also I submitted a request to join your Facebook group, thanks

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still new (only been running for 6 weeks) but when I had the Oxydator running I only had to clean the glass once a week, maybe twice. When I failed to refill the peroxide I had to start cleaning the glass every 2 days. I refilled the peroxide for the first time yesterday and the water looks clearer than it did before (ie, when the peroxide was empty). I am running the W model with 12% peroxide and one catalyst on a 140 gallon system with light bio load (do not plan to get more fish until my custom tank cover arrives). I also run UV 24/7.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll,
I just purchased 2 Oxydator A based on reading your posts in the earlier parts of the thread. After fast forwarding through the thread it seems you changed your setup a bit. My tank is roughly 120-130 gallons operating volume with a pretty light bio load at the moment (4 chromis, Pygmy angle, yellow watchman, fat clownfish, 4-5 rbta and a mixed reef). I was originally thinking of 2 A’s with 2 catalyst each at 6% for starters. Will this be ok or is 2 A’s not needed?

Also I submitted a request to join your Facebook group, thanks
You could just use the one A using 12% peroxide and 2 catalysts. Or as you intended with 2 x As and 2 catalysts with 6% as you intended.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought people on here would like to see this post from a member of our Facebook group the Oxydator user group. 2 weeks ago Chris was having an issue with ich in his tank, in particularly with a copperband.
I have taken a screen shot this morning of a post he put up on the group below. Chris's experience is common when it comes to using Oxydator's to help fight parasites.
Screenshot_20231014_091039_Facebook.jpg

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between dosing H2O2 vs O3? Anyone try both?

Ozone is a much stronger oxidizer than peroxide, BTW.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between dosing H2O2 vs O3? Anyone try both?

Ozone is a much stronger oxidizer than peroxide, BTW.
Used O3 many years ago same with UV. Ditched both when I discovered Oxydator's.

When you say what's the difference what exactly do you mean? Obviously there are physical differences in the process of using them. However results in some ways are similar, increase in redox with an increase in O2 and often clearer looking water.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can an oxydator be used together with ozone?
In theory yes but I would use either as using both together could cause issues. Using ozone with a redox controller would be safer however. Personally I just don't see the need for both.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed; ozone is much stronger oxidizer than hydrogen peroxide. I think peroxide is a good alternative for smaller aquariums.

Last edited:

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled my W oxydator with 12% peroxide and one catalyst. Most of my snails died a few days afterward. I checked all my equipment and found that the oxydator had leaked out all the peroxide in a matter of days. I did a large water change and my 2.5" Strawberry Snail which had not moved in two days started roaming around the tank again. I did not have any issues with the oxydator the first month of use. I am not sure if I did mot close the latch tight enough when refilling. Just a warning for others to be careful when refilling the oxydator.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about the ozon as I restart my tank I have an uggly bacteria and algua bloom and the oxydator since two days not seems to work well for that.
Question should I place it befor or after the skimmer?

Last edited:

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oxydator w seems not to have an effect in my new tank ,a lot if alga and water is not clear.
I have put two catalysts and 12% peroxide, maybe I should add 3? Will also try it in the main tank to see
My tank has between 1200-1400liter

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back