Aquarium Engineering ACR

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve had My new 8” Automatic Calcium Reactor up and running for a few days now. For anyone who has set one up I’ve started at the recommended Setting of 2/200. I’m now up to 8/200. It hasn’t yet caused me to turn down my 2 part dosing, but my alk is slowly starting to rise. As great as the hardware is, the set up and run documentation is non existent. If you have an ACR, could you share me how it went, how it’s going, What your system size and demand is, and how what are your actual dosing numbers?

I know they have an active Facebook page, but my post asking this same question wasn’t posted.

My system
400g over the display and (3) frag tanks, plumbed to one large sump.
350ml daily of ESV Bionic 2 part.
4 gallons a day of kalk (this will stay online)

any feedback you have on setting your ACR up would be appreciated, thanks!

Dave

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one, but Have not set it up yet. I would ask in that thread that I linked as there are a few guys in there running them :)

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried calling them, I remember reading that bill will talk you through the entire setup and answer all the questions you have.

On my calcium reactor, totally different brand, the first few weeks were a real pain. As injad the same issues as you. Alk would climb but there was no measurable calcium being added. I feel like it took some time to start breaking down the media before the calcium and alkalinity were balanced. I just kept my drip rate super low for a few weeks then I was able to start to balance it out. The first week I messed up and my alk climbed through the roof.

OP
OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the 8” model at 6/200, my display is 400g with a 40g fuge & 156g sump.

My alk is stable at 8.6.

Thanks this is what I needed to hear. My current timing should be around where I should probably be. I’m going to purge it again. Thanks again!

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a lower cost regulator from Amazon, the ACR doesn’t need a highly precise regulator. I can send you a link for the one I’m using if you want

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a quick check to ensure everything is working, test the alk level of the effluent. It should be so high that it pegs your Hanna meter

OP
OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up with 4 seconds on, 100 off. it’s holding at 9-9.2 depending on the time of day.

I’m hoping my PH creeps back up to 8-8.3 eventually. I’m at 7.8-8.1 currently. Not the end of the world, but my reef always looks and grows faster at the high PH.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also following. UPS brings it tomorrow. It would seem that Bill is now producing these a little faster, anecdotally anyway.

8" stacked with the automatic CO2 bottle switch.

OP
OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with the mechanical control box. Bill swapped it out, so i had to re-set it up. A few weeks ago I have purchased a trident, which has made this new set up easier. There was much less concern around alk stability with the trident supplementing two part and keeping my alk/calcium number where I want it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you did a couple things I've seen mentioned:
a) Leak test it before loading it up
b) Tapping a John Guest fitting at the base of the reactor for draining?

I have everything in place but have been waiting on some media

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back