Are you cleaning your skimmer neck & cup properly? It's pretty important right?

How important is keeping your skimmer neck and cup clean?

• Very Important

Votes: 324 40.6%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 309 38.7%
  • Not that Important

Votes: 128 16.0%
  • Not Important at all

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 1.8%

• Total voters

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the cup/neck about every three months. Fortunately, my swabbie auto neck cleaner is much more diligent.

Same here. I don't clean my cup on a regular basis. Only when I feel it's due. At best every other week or every 3-weeks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On average I clean my skimmer cups 2 to 3 times per week by hand in the utility sink.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these people talking about cleaning their skimmer neck, makes me rethink how often I clean mine.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my collection cup every time I empty it...usually about once a week. The neck? Not so much. I will reach in with a paper towel and wipe it off whenever it looks nasty.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when I ran my working stock skimmer I cleaned cup and neck two or three time a week. Hoping maybe some help out there as I'm very frustrated with a new skimmer......I'm a lil over two weeks running a tunze 9001 and I still cannot get this skimmer broken in/running right! I've tried everything i.e. closing the air intake valve all the way (just about) opening all the way and the skimmer collection cup just fills up with water then overflows back into my tank (within 6 hours of running). Set it right a water line, ATO keeps it at water line, I've tried moving up, moving down nothing is working. Any suggestions would be SO greatly appreciated :)

I have a RSM 130D and upgraded to an "intank media basket" and the tunze 9001 as many online have done and recommend doing. Thanks!

Reef Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the cup and neck every 2 to 3 days. Just tap and my hand to wipe it clean then towel dry. The neck I use a paper towel to wipe back my finger length inside. Every 3 to 4 months I disassemble the whole unit soak in a vinegar bath for 15 minutes and wipe down.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I‘m trying to figure out how all these people who clean their skimmer 2-3x/week have time to do so.

In terms of efficiency, I don’t have any data, but I have noticed that the skimmer needs to be adjusted differently when it is newly cleaned vs a week out after a film has built up. Assuming I keep it adjusted, I don’t notice a difference in the skimmate.

My question is this: Why would it necessarily be any more or less efficient with a film built up? The entire premise of a skimmer is that waste accumulates at the air-water interface and the larger surface area of all the bubbles helps remove the waste.

We adjust the skimmer gate so we get skimmate without excessive water waste but In any skimmer there is a balance between between bubble production and dissolution that has to do with multiple factors, among them the surface of the slimmer neck. Assuming it is balanced and producing skimmate, why does the presence of film or debris on the neck/cup mean the skimmate will have less waste in it? If anything, one would assume it has more waste.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the collection cup daily, the neck weekly and every 3 months I pull the skimmer and do a full deep cleaning on it.
Habits and routine make this hobby go smoother.

IamJoHo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed and can't wait to see how well the neck wipe works.

20200513_135614.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I empty the cup as needed and that's when I'll rinse out the cup and the "neck" of the cup. The last time I cleaned my skimmer it took a while before it started collecting again. It was like the walls were "too clean".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bi-to tri-weekly. Its important as foam will climb easier on a smooth surface than a muddy surface.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean the skimmer in both my systems once per week. Then I went to once every 2 weeks and now I clean it when I remember which is around once a month on each system. I have a NYOS 160 and 300

Now I’m not going to argue if weekly cleaning is better, it no doubt is, but have I noticed any difference, no. Which is why I just do it now every 3-4 weeks or so.....

Ditto: I have a DIY skimmer with a 2" PVC neck. Cup drains to a 24 oz bottle that fills every 2-5 days depending on feeding and does not seem to depend on how clean the skimmer body is. When I clean the neck/cup, I can see a dark green/brown goo-film that is 1-3mm thick. It sloughs off like Jello; kinda fund to squish in the hands. Weird thing is that it really does not smell bad. The skimmate in the cup smells bad.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 53 54.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back