Armegeddons

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent topic to say the least.

I have been using Furan 2 for the last 4 months with great success as well... you can now find it at Dr. F&S.

Armageddons, Lunar Eclipse and a few others seem to follow a trait that I would also suggest could be based over time. Whether it is diet or lighting or climate, they all seem to do the basic close up and start melting. Where as other species of Zoanthids or Palys will multiply no matter what you do.

How many of you have come across Scary Palys aka Texas Trash aka Spookie Palys... they will grow under any condition and if you peel them off and not get every once of flesh... there back. This is also the same with Yellow Hydroids... they will take over the tank if given the ability.

In the end - I do and do not agree that every Zoanthid/Paly can be keep for ever no matter what you dip them in.. it all comes down to their particular needs - (i.e. Diet, Lighting, Flow, Temperature.. etc.).

Furan 2 has it's place in the industry - but it is not a cure all..IMO.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where is the best place to order from? I went to DFS and it cost $5.99 but was $9.99 to ship. I don't think so..LOL!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is CZ??? LOL! :D

OP
OP
THE BEAUT

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to chime in a little. As you all know i have had issues with fungus/bacterial infection in some of my colonies. Havnt had any issues in months now, thank God.
I know the dif between the infections and what happened to the Geddons. The Geddons faded away well before i got any zoa infections in my tank. Like i stated before they grew great for months. I was so confident they were doing well that i traded a frag to Marvin. His, just like mine thrived from then on for a while until they just withered away. No sign of any infection. They would just close up and shrink away. It has to be something very unique to them.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the thought of each is different. Why else would there be so many different morphs of colors/size. All of these corals come from various regions of the world. It seems impossible that you would be able to put any coral from anywhere into your tank (with or without dipping) and expect them all to survive. Like Rev and all else say it could be pressure, light, food???

I know this is a stretch but I haven't seen many Great Whites in the aquariums I've visited. And there tanks are "perfect" and huge.....

Morish Idols are the same kinda thing. Some can tolerate living in an aquarium and some can not.

I don't think that any chemical additive is ultimate solution. But they can help, for sure.

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, they carry it at my local Petsmart, so you could check there. It was $7.99 two weeks ago when I picked it up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet thanks!

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here were mine. I started with 2 polyps that slowly grew into 6 in about 5 months. They would probably still be alive but I had a diassaster trying to drill my tank when I moved and they didnt make it.
DSC01526.jpg

Furan 2 works but its not the savior to zoas like Christel Mei says. Ive saved zoas using it but Ive also lost zoas using it. The ones that dont make it seem to melt double time after the dip.

Christel Mei

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for giving it a shot, I promise it will only help. I have dipped PPEs before and they do just fine like every other zoa. I came home from work and found my personal colony reverse belled big time. I very carefully as to not wipe the surface off the ppe's picked them up and dipped them for about 5 minutes. Later that night they closed correctly, and then opened fine two days later and looked normal.

I have only used the capsule type, it comes in an orange pill. The powder itself is green. I pull the capsule apart, and poor the powder out, rather than dissolving the capsule. If you have a mild problem, dont want to use a full cup of water, or want to dip a new addition you can use half a capsule and then put it back together.

The best ratio I have found it 1 capsule to 1 cup of tank water. Rinse them with water before putting them back in te tank if you want, I ave put them back without rinsing when in a hurry though without any problems.

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 4 frags of armeggedons, my first 3 were directly from brian k. of, back then, logical reef. I lost the first frag of 10 to a 3 degree temp swing in the tank. the second grew frag grew into about 40, then I fragged it once, had it out of the water for about 2 minutes, put it back in, within a week they started melting. the 3rd frag got hit with about 4 grains of kalk, and began melting within 4 days. Armes are to sensitive ...Currently, I have about 4 polyps, that once was at 50. DONT MOVE THEM, DONT FRAG THEM, DONT TOUCH THEM, OR THEY WILL MELT....

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 10-15min dip of Furan II and Flatworm exit on all corals before I put them in my tank. I have never tried to treat any zoas with Furan once they were ill, but have not lost any new frags I have brought home (other than the 4 zoa frags that got lost by FedEx for acouple of days). I started doing this too all the new corals I put into my tank because I lost a large colony of Bam Bams in an old system because I picked up some zoas from a friend and with them came Nudis. I know it doesn't work for the eggs, but it seems to kill off everything else.

Christel Mei

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure some require more attention than others, but if you are commited to solving those problems, once stable in a tank, most zoas require just about the same thing across the board. There isnt one type that requires any additional special care versus another, as long as you can control four things....Disease, Water quality, Lighting and Predators. Simple as that.

If you have good water, Furan 2 will cure most issues zoas have. I have seen it work on thousands of polyps, no one will convince me different.

If you dont have a healthy system, dont expect anything other than cleaning your tank up to save your NO3 sensitive corals.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ya'll, I know we all got some strong opinions on here, but there's no need to flame our new member. If you want the site to grow, you gotta be nice.

Christel Mei

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't argue with the results. All I can say is try it!

When you see something work as many times as I have seen this work to solve zoa diseases you become a believer. I love zoas and I wasnt going to let fear of diseases keep me from aquiring and keeping new types of zoas. Forgive me for trying to pass it on to the online community with an apparently apprehensive view of this product, which to date I have yet to find one person who has had ANYTHING besides sucess using this product and I havent heard of one case of an adverse reaction either.

A key ingredient to any treatment of a sick marine animal is clean water. Dont expect furan 2 to save your melting colony of zoas in a tank with 25ppm NO3.

Coralnutz, I see how your get your views. But, they are based upon the fact that some corals are easier to keep in poor conditions or more prone to disease than others. I AGREE! But, that is no excuse to allow poor conditions to exist in your tank, or not to be responsible and save your dying coral with simple and proven cures. It is far to easy to provide your inhabitants with good water quality, which is IMO more important than anything else. If that is a given, and you can eaily cure most issues with something that costs less than $10, then there is no excuse to let your animals die from easily preventable and curable problems. So, IMO it is not harder too keep one animal versus another, as long as you are willing to do those simple things. Understand?

I have been doing this too long to tell anyone to use a product I wasnt 100% sure worked, and I only know this for sure by trying things my self. Working at a LFS gives me a great opportunity to attempt to cure diseases and predator problems. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite things to do is to save sick fish and corals. The days of throwing a coral or fish out the back door of an LFS because it is sick is simply sickening to me. Heck I even walk around once a day and make sure all the snails get flipped back over in all the tanks so they dont die. I guess I just care to much to watch stuff die.

Last edited:

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My experience has been pretty good with them. I've lost a couple due to melting away, but there was always a reason. A tank move or some other issue in which a few pieces were lost.

Armageddons are very finicky fraggers IMHO. I'm a pretty good fragger, yet when I make 5 frags, 3 survive. I tend to avoid the scalple method w/ these guys and actually frag the rock in attempt to harass the polyps as little as possible.

My current colony is doing well. Probably 30 polyps strong. I do have a couple of frags that were made a couple weeks back. One frag is a 2-polyp in which I thought I was going to have wither away. One polyp was open last night, the second had that brown-fading look to it.

I just bought some furan-2 yesterday and will start the dip w/ pics tonight. Maybe I'll report back if I can ever find this whole 'reef2reef' place again... Kidding, of course I'll report back!
:D

Cya,
-Who Dah?

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had different frags, all came from Bryan K. 2 died mysteriously and i have a frag of 5 right now. I received them 8-9 months ago and havent seen any growth.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man Who-Dah would you take a shot of the 30? I would lobe to see that.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back