At what point is acrylic 'better' than glass?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline algae on acrylic is my most hated of all chores. I mean I can spend almost an hour scraping that stuff off on a tiny 80 gallon tank. With glass it took 5 minutes, but other than that, I love my acrylic tank! THERE MUST BE ANY EASIER WAY OF GETTING CORALINE OFF ACRYLIC

Did you try with the magic eraser sponge?

blackgate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I have not. It just seems that scraping would be the only way with that stuff. Could I try and use it with my hammerhead mag cleaner, or am I still going armpit deep with all the elbow grease i can muster?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I have not. It just seems that scraping would be the only way with that stuff. Could I try and use it with my hammerhead mag cleaner, or am I still going armpit deep with all the elbow grease i can muster?

I don't know

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer acrylic for clarity. Low iron glass is close, but acrylic is still noticabley better at half an inch or more thickness. Downside is that it scratches easy.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I build people acrylic tanks I always suggest to them to buy the tunze care magnet for acrylic. It has only blades on each end that touch the tank. So way less likely to scratch. I’ve asked quite a few of them how many scratches they have and it’s always hardly anything noticeable. Now that the scratching issue is helped the advantages of acrylic beat glass in every way. It’s clearer, a lot stronger seams, weighs way less and holds heat so much better. Most of the guys I build big tanks for have had blow outs on their big glass tanks which I don’t think will ever happen with a properly built acrylic. I also have a friend with a big glass display who not to long ago texted me saying “ my kids decided to clean my glass and scratched the crap out of my viewing window”. As we all know once a glass tank is scratched it’s there forever. I can fix just about any scratch on my acrylic without even draining it. The only advantage glass has over acrylic is that its initially harder to scratch but that’s where the advantage ends...

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60g hexagon thats acrylic. If i could find a glass one id rather have it than this.

Acrylic scratchs wayyy too easily. Acrylic and the foggyness it can develope on the outside overt8me from micro scratchs..

Yea no thanks.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I build people acrylic tanks I always suggest to them to buy the tunze care magnet for acrylic. It has only blades on each end that touch the tank. So way less likely to scratch. I’ve asked quite a few of them how many scratches they have and it’s always hardly anything noticeable. Now that the scratching issue is helped the advantages of acrylic beat glass in every way. It’s clearer, a lot stronger seams, weighs way less and holds heat so much better. Most of the guys I build big tanks for have had blow outs on their big glass tanks which I don’t think will ever happen with a properly built acrylic. I also have a friend with a big glass display who not to long ago texted me saying “ my kids decided to clean my glass and scratched the crap out of my viewing window”. As we all know once a glass tank is scratched it’s there forever. I can fix just about any scratch on my acrylic without even draining it. The only advantage glass has over acrylic is that its initially harder to scratch but that’s where the advantage ends...
Very well said

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60g hexagon thats acrylic. If i could find a glass one id rather have it than this.

Acrylic scratchs wayyy too easily. Acrylic and the foggyness it can develope on the outside overt8me from micro scratchs..

Yea no thanks.
Some 5000 and 7000 grit wet sandpaper and less than an hour and that can all be fixed no problem That’s the exact point why acrylic is better if your glass was scratched you could not fix it

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people are just too scared to try actually sanding and buffing out the scratches in their acrylic tanks and that’s why there’s so many of these people complaining about scratches on their acrylic tanks because They never tried to repair it realizing how easy it is they would be a lot less people saying they don’t like acrylic because of scratches if they actually tried it

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some 5000 and 7000 grit wet sandpaper and less than an hour and that can all be fixed no problem That’s the exact point why acrylic is better if your glass was scratched you could not fix it

You can fix scratchs in glass by sanding as well lol. I work in automotive.

Glass doesnt scratchs unless you drop a rock on it or have a gravel substrate. Ive scratched acrylic with a plastic handle on a scrubber i had one time.

Another reason i hate acrylic are how the tops are glued on most of them. They have these rediculousymly small openeings. And for a 24 inch tall tank it makes cleaning the upper sections of the tank near impossible with standing on a chair and reaching your arm in and up.

Alot of people hate the center braces on large glass tanks.. imagine if they had the typical acrylic tank where 50% of the top is covered by this

Screenshot_20201010-090748_Samsung Internet.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline algae on acrylic is my most hated of all chores. I mean I can spend almost an hour scraping that stuff off on a tiny 80 gallon tank. With glass it took 5 minutes, but other than that, I love my acrylic tank! THERE MUST BE ANY EASIER WAY OF GETTING CORALINE OFF ACRYLIC
Unfortunately, there is NOT. A metal blade will definitely scratch it. And the plastic blades are useless once the edge wears down fairly quick. TRASH.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people are just too scared to try actually sanding and buffing out the scratches in their acrylic tanks and that’s why there’s so many of these people complaining about scratches on their acrylic tanks because They never tried to repair it realizing how easy it is they would be a lot less people saying they don’t like acrylic because of scratches if they actually tried it
Oh, Really. Would that be with water or no water. If with water, your adding micro plastic to your system. Without a buffing composite? I’d like to see how easy that is. Elbow deep or some kind of an underwater buffer that no one has.
Without water? Have fun breaking down your system, removing scratches and building back up. No THANKS.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fix scratchs in glass by sanding as well lol. I work in automotive.

Glass doesnt scratchs unless you drop a rock on it or have a gravel substrate. Ive scratched acrylic with a plastic handle on a scrubber i had one time.

Another reason i hate acrylic are how the tops are glued on most of them. They have these rediculousymly small openeings. And for a 24 inch tall tank it makes cleaning the upper sections of the tank near impossible with standing on a chair and reaching your arm in and up.

Alot of people hate the center braces on large glass tanks.. imagine if they had the typical acrylic tank where 50% of the top is covered by this

Screenshot_20201010-090748_Samsung Internet.jpg
Umm I work for ford 24 years now and you cannot sand glass to make it clear and scratch less that’s why we replace windshields and side windows when scratched because it can not be fixed. Just like you would a tank. Also with all the acrylic and glass tank conversation you are first person to ever suggest being able to sand glass. PLEASE NO ONE TRY THIS ON YOUR GLASS TANK IT WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE IT

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, Really. Would that be with water or no water. If with water, your adding micro plastic to your system. Without a buffing composite? I’d like to see how easy that is. Elbow deep or some kind of an underwater buffer that no one has.
Without water? Have fun breaking down your system, removing scratches and building back up. No THANKS.
Water is the only buffing compound you will need. Micro plastics will not hurt anything and be filtered out. And if you read my post above it’s being done with a mag float cleaner with wet dry sand paper on the inside between wet side of float and acrylic. Watch a few videos on it and you will first see how easy and then how great it works. Don’t be scared :)

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just finished putting my house back together after my 7 year old 120 glass tank blew a seam in my living room. 14,000$ later And 3 months I’m finally sleeping back in my bed room and life is almost back to normal. If it was acrylic it never would have happened. So moral of my story what’s the difference between every 7 years having to replace my oak floors from damage tearing down and replacing that tank or tearing down 7 year acrylic tank to sand and buff? The difference is 14,000$ !!!!!!!!! As you say NO THANKS

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you had any issues with snails or urchins going over the acrylic? Like opacifications or similiar

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a very good question to stir up a debate between people for sure I know that all my tanks are glass just because that's the way I went I've heard not knowing for sure but I've heard the acrylic can kind of distort things a little bit when you stand back from it I have also heard it scratches a lot easier than glass soon as I saw this post I figured you'd have every last person around opting for glass and steering you clear of acrylic I myself don't know which one is or is not the better of the two options I'd have to say that it depends on your personal preference good luck I'll be watching this to see who else chimes in this is a debate for the ages as well

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there is NOT. A metal blade will definitely scratch it. And the plastic blades are useless once the edge wears down fairly quick. TRASH.
The plastic blades on my Care Magnet only get sharper with use. In fact I have to be careful when I run my finger over it to make sure it's clean because I've sliced myself.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back