ATO Suggestions?

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Looking for ATO suggestions for my Red Sea Reefer 170. As nice as the built in little 1.5 gallon container and the floatswitch are, my old habits are coming back. On my old system I had a 10 gallon reservoir. Filling this thing every other day is driving me insane.

Any suggestions on an ATO? I've been browsing quite a bit but almost all of them have spotty reviews in some capacity. Additionally, any ideas for a way to hide a 5 gallon or so reservoir?

Thanks!

Andy

Last edited:

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tunze on my commercial aquarium accounts because I’ve personally found it to be more reliable than some of the cheaper brands. As with all ATOs, occasional cleaning of sensors and switches will keep them running longer.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Tunze on my 170. I went with the full size one rather than the nano version, just because I have used the tunzes on my other tanks for 10+ years without any issues. Every few years I replace the pump (usually gets noisy first), but other than that no issues. I have a 5 gallon (may be 7 gallon) acrylic res for my ATO which is black and has a clear panel in front so you can see the water level. It is from advanced acrylics and here is a pic
ATO.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart micro or a tunze, the tunze pump can be noisy but it’s not pumping for long.

Depending on the space available, you can’t really hide them if no room but you could get something made to th size available, I’ve seen very thin reservoirs, just thick enough to get the pump in.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of AutoAqua Smart Micros running in the house - and they're great.

I've also got a Reef-Pi controller using a tunze 5000.020 metering/ATO pump. This one will be replaced ASAP, as holy crap the tunze pump is loud. Its basically a small bilge pump - and sounds like one.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running an XPaqua duetto ATO for the last year.
Its been ROCK SOLID.
Has never overfilled.

what i like about it is it only runs for a couple seconds at a time due to the internal failsafes.
Even when i forget to turn it off when doing a water change, it goes into alarm before dispensing too much water into my empty return chamber.

Not one hiccup unless you count the operator error with the anti siphon fitting and kalkwasser :)

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I think the most popular for longevity is the Tunz one.

I’ve been using the hydor with the aqualifter. I really like it. It’s been pretty reliable for me (knock on wood- I’m leaving for 6 days next week and Worry like crazy when away from the tank)

here’s some google images of what I have:
BEB8405E-CFA2-4D5C-B775-A897D5C8ACAA.jpeg
8491C2D3-D05B-4F67-BB38-668C7888ED75.jpeg

Hope this helps- take care and happy reefing!

View Badges
+ 1 for the XPaqua duetto! Been running great for me.

I think no matter what you will find some bad reviews on any ATO because no matter what brand, some will fail. It is what It is. Just got to take the risk!
The top 3 being tunze, autosmart and XPaqua

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm sounds like I am narrowed down to XPAqua and Tunze (Tunze is what I used to use, but man $200 is just a big bullet to bite compared to other brands but of course you get what you pay for). I appreciate all of the responses!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm sounds like I am narrowed down to XPAqua and Tunze (Tunze is what I used to use, but man $200 is just a big bullet to bite compared to other brands but of course you get what you pay for). I appreciate all of the responses!

Yes you do get what you pay for....import taxes from germany lol.
Have you ever owned a BMW?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also use Tunze ATO and if you want to get it for cheaper, TSA is selling two of tunze atos for $140-$150 each shipped (used)

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you do get what you pay for....import taxes from germany lol.
Have you ever owned a BMW?
Lol nope. I don't like losing an arm and a leg every time I need basic maintenance done.

To be fair - the problem with the tunze is the pump - and the pump is $23.

I do remember how loud that pump was. Since it is in the living room it is weighing heavily into my decision

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both the Smart micro and the Tunze . Both are fantastic. I went with the Tunze after using the Smart Micro for years as I wanted one for my QT and decided to try something different on the display.

OP
OP
Andyf30

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Tunze on my 170. I went with the full size one rather than the nano version, just because I have used the tunzes on my other tanks for 10+ years without any issues. Every few years I replace the pump (usually gets noisy first), but other than that no issues. I have a 5 gallon (may be 7 gallon) acrylic res for my ATO which is black and has a clear panel in front so you can see the water level. It is from advanced acrylics and here is a pic
ATO.jpg
That reservoir is exactly what I am looking for I'll check out Advanced Acrylics. I used to run a sump by them 6 or 7 years ago.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 155 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back