Baby Tang in a 24 gallon

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking... my LFS has some SUPER small tangs and I was thinking since they only grow 2inch a year I could keep one for a year or two and sell it back to the LFS. I know they need giant tanks and swim lots. But the tank is the size of a 40 cube. And I would be acting as a long term grow out tank.(title says 24 but it is a really big 24 and is larger than a bio cube 32.)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking... my LFS has some SUPER small tangs and I was thinking since they only grow 2inch a year I could keep one for a year or two and sell it back to the LFS. I know they need giant tanks and swim lots. But the tank is the size of a 40 cube. And I would be acting as a long term grow out tank.(title says 24 but it is a really big 24 and is larger than a bio cube 32.)

I personally have no issues with getting a fish that will outgrow its tank PROVIDED there is a solid gameplan for what to do when it happens.

Make sure that your LFS agrees to take it back later before you bring it home.

I had a baby Hippo tang in my 32g bio-cube for a while then I moved it to the 180G when it was large enough to defend itself with the larger fish in that tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im never the one to say tank is too small but this time I must. With decor- limited room for it to swim freely and with rock, 20 usable gallons.
Definitely reconsider
And . . . On growth- Having 19 tangs currently, . . .. I have a couple of Tangs which grew 2" in 3+ months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im never the one to say tank is too small but this time I must. With decor- limited room for it to swim freely and with rock, 20 usable gallons.
Definitely reconsider
My tank is large and high and my only rock work is 2 caves and a tiny island to isolate fast growing coral. My Damsel has mountains of swimming space.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely reconsider

I think it depends on what size "small" really is? Are we talking about babies that are less than 1" ? Juvies around 2"?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My tank is large and high and my only rock work is 2 caves and a tiny island to isolate fast growing coral. My Damsel has mountains of swimming space.
What are dimensions?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think it depends on what size "small" really is? Are we talking about babies that are less than 1" ? Juvies around 2"?
Typical small is 2" . I added to my first response- I currently have 19 tangs with a couiple of them growing 2+ inches in a little over 2 months. My Powder blue and yellows are my larger one. Yellow- I have 6

660g tangs 7.3.jpg

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. if you don't someone else will. lol.

As long as your LFS will take it back, I see no problem with keeping one for a while.

Saying that, my LFS will take returned fish too, but only up to a point. They don't like taking in larger fish and will usually not take anything back that is over 6" unless it's something special. they say they can't house larger fish but I have a feeling it's because they probably don't sell well. I think with the popularity of nano tanks, most people are looking for smaller fish they can watch grow not full size fish.

Maybe a tiny tomini might be best for a while. They are about the slowest growers as far as I know.

OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. if you don't someone else will. lol.

As long as your LFS will take it back, I see no problem with keeping one for a while.

Saying that, my LFS will take returned fish too, but only up to a point. They don't like taking in larger fish and will usually not take anything back that is over 6" unless it's something special. they say they can't house larger fish but I have a feeling it's because they probably don't sell well. I think with the popularity of nano tanks, most people are looking for smaller fish they can watch grow not full size fish.

Maybe a tiny tomini might be best for a while. They are about the slowest growers as far as I know.
My LFS just got in a 14in Naso Tang so I think they will take big fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back