Bare Bottom System....couple questions

jcharrsn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon with 20 gallon sump with 0.1um filter bag for mechanical filtration and a reverse durso that acts like a mini protein skimmer.
90lbs rock (50 live 40 base)
1 damsel left from 3(they beat each other to death)
running for about a month
salt is just right
ammonia is zero
nitrite is zero
nitrate is 5ppm

I want to do a predator only tank (lionfish definitely and triggers maybe, snowflake eel maybe)
When can I start putting expensive fish in the tank? What are good combos with a lionfish?

Would a calcium/magnesium supplemented salt(e.g. reef crystal) encourage coralline algae growth on the base rock?

Is tap water+instant ocean ok for a predator only tank?

Thats about it for now.

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whether reef or fish only the big ugly will always be algae, fish only usually have lower light levels but algae dosen't really care, tap water will have algae food in it, no protein skimmer means more DOC's in the water, Lionfish,Eels and Triggers are all very messy eaters and that is just more food for algae, Id strongly recommend you invest in your system before investing in fish or you will be in a constant state of cleaning, a bare bottom tank's advantage is nowhere for detritus to settle and rot but you have to find a way to export all that detritus ie filter socks,good to fantastic skimmer and the good old fashioned ro/di water change

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you and your tank will be a lot happier using RO/DI. when i first got into the hobby i didnt know any better and used tap water. i battled algae for the first 6 months intill i started doing water changes with RO/DI and it made a HUGE difference. also like said about all those fish and mess makers when they eat. they shred the food and will leave a lot of small scraps in the tank. since you will have all predators its goign to be hard to have a clean up crew to take care of that stuff. so a good skimmer will definetly be needed to keep the water quality good. to much nitrate can also be bad for fish. and will feed the agae faster than you could even think about removing it.

PatientZero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine at a month. Tap water will work, but algae will be more of an issue. If you do use tap water be sure to dechlorinate by using drops or letting it sit out, (probably both).4

The fish are up to you. that said, lionsish are gulpers sop make sure what ever you add it at least as big as the lionfish or significantly fatter then its mouth.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for your abbreviations...
DOC = dissolved organic compounds
RO/DI water = reverse osmosis / deionized water

If you decide to filter your water, you can get by with an RO filter for a fish only system. The DI filter usually comes as an add-on filter and is more of a requirement for reef tanks.

OP
OP
jcharrsn27

jcharrsn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies is everyone buying ro/di from the store or filtering DIY style? If so what are some good brand names for filtering systems that won't break the bank.

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the sponsors, should be a good deal somewhere, I have a 50 gallon a day ro/di and find its plenty

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to store bought water vs. do it yourself, you CAN buy it for changes but beleive me it will cost a fortune in the long run. I change out 10g per week every week 5g on my 29 and 5g on my 14. Then another 5g as top off between the 2 tanks. It would run me $7.50 a week ($0.50 per gallon) which doesn't sound like alot... until you look at 1 year and see $390 for the total which will buy you an AMAZING RO/DI unit with a chunk of money to spare and will make 5 or 6 times the ammount of water used before a filter change. Then add in the fact you don't have to drive to get it, for that price it will come with a built in TDS (Total Disolved Solids) meter so you are certain of the purity of your water, and a flush feature which will extend your filter life even more. Basically what I am saying is that yes you can buy in the short term but in that time scratch and save to get your own unit, it is a big (sorta) 1 time expense instead of a constant drain.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am just curious, whats a reverse durso and how does it act like a mini skimmer? I have never heard this before.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%
Back