Become one of the first owners of the KH Guardian

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why everyone feels the need to say how excessive they think the price for this is. This is capitalism.

This is not a necessary item for reef keeping. It's a luxury item and luxury items usually come with a higher price tag. I would love to have a Lamborghini but can't afford the $500k price tag. There is no way a lambo costs anywhere near that to actually produce but that doesn't matter. They can choose to price their product however they see fit. Could they sell more if it was a $75k car? Absolutely bit their business model doesn't function that way and their company is not about leading in volume sales.

This company is bringing a product to market that doesn't exist. Therefore with no competition they can basically price it at whatever they want. They don't have a duty to make sure they price it at a rate where 100% of hobbyist can afford it. If they want too that's great but they need to price it where they will make the profit they want to make and sell as many as they hope to sell. Until something else comes along and is actually being sold this is the market. Once there is competition the pricing will go down. As technology continues to improve the cost will go down. Now if this company was trying to sell a box of salt for $1500 then yeah that's ridiculous and the market will kill that company. This is the price you pay to be an early adopter.

All this being said, I do view the price tag as being expensive, but it's absolutely something I'll save up to get once I see some concrete reviews of it. What isn't expensive in this hobby? I blow people's minds when I tell them I have a $13,000 fish tank set up and that I basically paid $1200 for rocks to put in it. $1200 for rocks. Nobody complains about that but I paid all that money for something I can find for free somewhere if I only knew where to look. I don't so I have to pay the people that do know where to find it though.

I don't know how to make a continuous Alk testing system either so if I want one I have to nut up and pay for it.

Because everyone can express their opinions so long as it doesn't violate the rules set in place by R2R. I am pretty sure each company that posts a product have already prepared for skepticism or opinions from readers.

Why does everyone use cars as the analogy for luxurious items in this hobby? The two are not even in the same tier and the uses for autombiles outweigh the uses of a tank. To say that this item is a luxury is incorrect; this entire hobby is a luxury.

Yes, this company is bringing to the market a product that will make keeping SPS a lot easier but that doesn't mean they should set a farfetched price for it. Either way, there are more companies joining this market. If I remember correctly, all these units that are coming to market were made by hobbyists, not R & D teams of businesses. I think I recall seeing this one on Facebook months ago made and tested overseas by a hobbyist.

In the end, this hobby is more than about you. Just because you can afford doesn't mean you should belittle anyone else who can't. The people make this hobby great. Without them, there would be a lack of interest and job-loss.

FWIW, I am a technophile. I love to buy new technology because I can afford to do so; you can tell by how much I buy and sell things on here after I move on to the next new item. It is because I can do so and I enjoy it. On the otherhand, I am no fool and know when an item is overpriced.

Last edited:

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said. The market determines the pricing. Personally, I'm glad it's over a grand. If it were $600 or so I'd talk myself into buying it.
The market hasn't/didn't determined the price. On the other thread majority(over 70% if I remember correctly) voted no to a $1000+ price tag.

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can have their own oppinions all they want but the purpose of this thread was to introduce a new product and get the word out there. It wasn't intended to have 3,000 people comment "omg $1500?!!". I want to get on here and read about the product and not skim through all of those useless posts. If you can't afford it then that's fine. I'm not judging anyone. It's just something that unfortunately isn't going to be reasonable for everyone.

The use of the car analogy is a good one because technically all cars are a luxury. The only thing in this world that isn't is the air your breathe, the water you drink, and whatever food you can find to consume. Everything else is some form of a luxury.

I'll go back to the Lambo example because it's easy to understand and it's valid. I have the right to go to a dealership and complain in front of everyone how expensive they are and how it's so overpriced. I could start listing out actual costs of some of the components and pointing out how much they are marked up in the cars. However I would also look like a jack@$$ to everyone there and in al honesty why would I even feel the need to do that? The Internet is turning into a place for everyone to complain about everything and think that he rest of us want to see it.

I know there aren't large corporations bringing these products to market. But there is a lot more that factors into the cost than just the components. There is all of the research labor, materials, etc. there are patents and production costs, distribution costs, software development costs and many more. You can't look at it and say "well that's basically just a $300 dosing pump, how come they are charging $1500?!?". My point in all of this was to point out that this is basic economics in play and this happens with everything else that has ever been sold. I'd rather not see 15 pages of people complaining about the price. Come in and read about the product, decide if it's something that would be worth $1500 to you and if not then nobody has a gun to your head. Disregard the thread and move on.

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The market hasn't/didn't determined the price. On the other thread majority(over 70% if I remember correctly) voted no to a $1000+ price tag.

Again, they aren't trying to sell it to 100% of people. There are lots of people here who will end up buying it if it turns out to be a quality product. I think someone just mentioned that their sold out of the pre sales? They know what their cost is. Let's just say for arguments sake it's $500. They could have priced it at $600 but they didn't. They chose $1500. So for everyone they sell at this price they would have had to have sold 10 at $600.

This is a luxury item so they know that no matter what they won't get anywhere near probably a 50% adoption rate at any price. So this is the price point they feel will generate the most revenue.

Maybe they are wrong, if they are we will see price cuts. If apex comes out with theirs which doesn't do as much as this one but is significantly cheaper and nobody sees the value of this one vs Apex's given the price difference then this company needs to make another choice to cut prices. That or live with the significant loss in sales.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The market technically has in this case, as the market is only determined by the number of people willing to pay that price for the number of units released, and apparently that many people have said that they would buy it. The market is not all of the people available, not even the majority, but simply the number of people willing to pay the price listed. I am not trying to cause any arguments here, just pointing out what I see based on my opinion. However, the fact that this is based on economic principles, and follows the same principles of economics, shows that this is completely normal. Let CoralVue make their money on the people who have signed up, allow more to sign up and then bring the technology in house to help bring price down. It's pretty simply actually, and CoralVue is trying to target that 75% who said no the first time around, so they can get more sales. CoralVue in this case is Ferrari trying to figure out how to sell one at $75K, so it's a weird business model for now, we all get that and can wait until the price comes down so we can get it.

They can have their own opinions all they want but the purpose of this thread was to introduce a new product and get the word out there. It wasn't intended to have 3,000 people comment "omg $1500?!!". I want to get on here and read about the product and not skim through all of those useless posts. If you can't afford it then that's fine. I'm not judging anyone. It's just something that unfortunately isn't going to be reasonable for everyone.

The use of the car analogy is a good one because technically all cars are a luxury. The only thing in this world that isn't is the air your breathe, the water you drink, and whatever food you can find to consume. Everything else is some form of a luxury.

I'll go back to the Lambo example because it's easy to understand and it's valid. I have the right to go to a dealership and complain in front of everyone how expensive they are and how it's so overpriced. I could start listing out actual costs of some of the components and pointing out how much they are marked up in the cars. However I would also look like a jack@$$ to everyone there and in al honesty why would I even feel the need to do that? The Internet is turning into a place for everyone to complain about everything and think that he rest of us want to see it.

I know there aren't large corporations bringing these products to market. But there is a lot more that factors into the cost than just the components. There is all of the research labor, materials, etc. there are patents and production costs, distribution costs, software development costs and many more. You can't look at it and say "well that's basically just a $300 dosing pump, how come they are charging $1500?!?". My point in all of this was to point out that this is basic economics in play and this happens with everything else that has ever been sold. I'd rather not see 15 pages of people complaining about the price. Come in and read about the product, decide if it's something that would be worth $1500 to you and if not then nobody has a gun to your head. Disregard the thread and move on.

I agree with you @clownsrcool , this is economics. First year too, not complex economics. I agree that with all technology based equipment, there is a range of pieces that work together to function, and we can't calculate the cost of manufacture unless we build one ourselves, but even that doesn't matter. The market that CoralVue wanted has already made a decision on the KHG and have purchased it.
Completely agree that arguing is not solving anything. We need to come together as a group and figure out what we want this thing to do for us, whether or not Jennifer Aniston is involved.

Let's all wait to complain, find out what the other manufacturers are going to charge, and understand that there is someone out there, or lots of someones, who are looking at this and saying, "What? People are paying THAT for that kind of machine! Well, let me make one and see". Same economic principles at play, competition will come in and change the way it's priced.

Last point, I think that the people that are complaining are the ones who are angry that they can't afford this thing. I can't come up with another explanation....

Last edited:

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, sorry for the distraction I have made in your post. I was trying to get the thread back on track for questions about the product so that we can all determine if it's going to be a feasible product that each of us would want to purchase. I only hoped to make this information more accessible by not having it buried in a sea of complaints.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because everyone can express their opinions so long as it doesn't violate the rules set in place by R2R. I am pretty sure each company that posts a product have already prepared for skepticism or opinions from readers.

Why does everyone use cars as the analogy for luxurious items in this hobby? The two are not even in the same tier and the uses for autombiles outweigh the uses of a tank. To say that this item is a luxury is incorrect; this entire hobby is a luxury.

Yes, this company is bringing to the market a product that will make keeping SPS a lot easier but that doesn't mean they should set a farfetched price for it. Either way, there are more companies joining this market. If I remember correctly, all these units that are coming to market were made by hobbyists, not R & D teams of business. I think I recall seeing this one on Facebook months ago made and tested overseas by a hobbyist.

In the end, this hobby is more than about you. Just because you can afford doesn't mean you should belittle anyone else who can't. The people make this hobby great. Without them, there would be a lack of interest and job-loss.

FWIW, I am a technophile. I love to buy new technology because I can afford to do so; you can tell by how much I buy and sell things on here after I move on to the next new item. It is because I can do so and I enjoy it. On the otherhand, I am no fool and no when an item is overpriced.

Thing is, for a "large system", I kinda question it's usefulness. Once a system is "stable" (and larger systems *tend* to be more stable than smallet ones...no a hard rule, but on average), how useful is testing alk on an hourly or similar frequency?
I tested alk daily while setting up and "tuning" my dosing. I now test weekly...it doesn't really change, probably going to move to monthly testing in the near future. The more I have read about the various models of this undoubably cool bit of tech, the more I have wondered how much usefulness /$$ factor it has?

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signed up on a "wait and see" basis. That's a lot of bling for an unproven system. Neptune's system is coming out as well, but with the absolutely ludicrous price of the "new" Apex, I'll stick with my "classic" and think we'll all choke on Neptune's system price as well for their DKh system.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why everyone feels the need to say how excessive they think the price for this is. This is capitalism.

This is not a necessary item for reef keeping. It's a luxury item and luxury items usually come with a higher price tag. I would love to have a Lamborghini but can't afford the $500k price tag. There is no way a lambo costs anywhere near that to actually produce but that doesn't matter. They can choose to price their product however they see fit. Could they sell more if it was a $75k car? Absolutely bit their business model doesn't function that way and their company is not about leading in volume sales.

This company is bringing a product to market that doesn't exist. Therefore with no competition they can basically price it at whatever they want. They don't have a duty to make sure they price it at a rate where 100% of hobbyist can afford it. If they want too that's great but they need to price it where they will make the profit they want to make and sell as many as they hope to sell. Until something else comes along and is actually being sold this is the market. Once there is competition the pricing will go down. As technology continues to improve the cost will go down. Now if this company was trying to sell a box of salt for $1500 then yeah that's ridiculous and the market will kill that company. This is the price you pay to be an early adopter.

All this being said, I do view the price tag as being expensive, but it's absolutely something I'll save up to get once I see some concrete reviews of it. What isn't expensive in this hobby? I blow people's minds when I tell them I have a $13,000 fish tank set up and that I basically paid $1200 for rocks to put in it. $1200 for rocks. Nobody complains about that but I paid all that money for something I can find for free somewhere if I only knew where to look. I don't so I have to pay the people that do know where to find it though.

I don't know how to make a continuous Alk testing system either so if I want one I have to nut up and pay for it.

Coralvue sells avarage hobbyist level equipment that they try to make out to be better than they are.

Those SOLE aquariums that were supposed to be identical to Elos turned out to have crooked panels and nowhere near the quality of Elos, though now they started to distribute Elos systems directly.

The Coralvue skimmets are not good, the Turbo Twist UV is not good, the Icecap sumps are so so. The only reliable brand so far is Reef Octopus, which is still the bottom of mid-range equipment.

So the fact that a company is asking this much for an item, with no track record, is inexcusable. They have no proven track record for ANY of their high-end stuff. It's almost like they're looking for something to overprice and so far all those items have flunked.

So if you have no proven track record of quality high-end gear, you have no business asking the price that they're asking for this. Just my $.02

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like if they just came out with a stand alone monitor by itself, kinda like the Milwaukee Ph monitor with probe. No controller, just a monitor.

But even more so, I would like to see a phosphate and nitrate monitor.

First get rid of all the pain in the but testing kits with use of monitors, THEN talk to me about an overpriced device like this.

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great product but I dont honestly see how a person whom is successful with sps would drop $1000+ on this when their current methods are clearly working. That $1000+ could go towards more corals:)

Maybe Coralvue should send out 10 units for beta testing at a more reasonable pricing. If I were you, I would send one to Than of Tidalgardens because of his Youtube base and informative, quality videos.
If they have $1000+ to spend on corals, they have $1000 for this too.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back