Beginner Friendly Coral?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

So initially I was setting up a 55g Fowlr, and decided why not introduce a bit of coral into its origins?!
So this is the light I picked up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFTSV24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I personally enjoy coral that 'sway' in the wind lol. But want to begin with something simple to manage. (also I really enjoy grabbing something young & watching it grow)

Set up:
55gal @ 1.025 salinity, 78degress
2x HOB filters, running over 550gal/h
protein skimmer rated @ 100gal tank
200w heater
35lb dry rock (reef saver)
60lb live sand
2x Powerheads

Planning on introducing first livestock on Friday! Cycle will be complete Wednesday, and want to do a 50% water change & give an additional day to observe numbers.

Here's a pic! (old stock LEDs in image)
6NpZfbTS99DCYLywViil2DVzIPsq5.jpg

Hoping to get some coraline from snails / frags introduced into the tank! (although don't want to starve the snails since theres nothing for them to munch on yet)

Looking forward to your input!

Cheers,

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into some of the leathers and maybe a nice colt coral. Kenya trees are nice, but be prepared to take some out as they can spread quickly. Green star polyps and xenia are also often recommended as easy, but can quickly spread and take over.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! Any of the easy ones that you guys recommend staying away from?
I remember reading some people having issues with mushrooms they introduced just taking over, and never being able to rid of them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best corals are the cheap corals. Experiment and Pick the stuff you like and are interested in, and learn about them. decorate the tank. ANd Practice for the next one.
Nothing better than some "ugly" zoas. Clove polyps too, try a gorg.
Just check how much light you have and the basic params.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some live rock in that tank. A few pounds from the LFS of well cured live rock will add a nice amount of biodiversity in sponges, pods, worms, and other great microfauna that will benefit the system.
Folks forget that now. Sterile is in.(dry shps cheaper) It takes a bit longer to mature it seems.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ on Zoas (they are hard to kill) Since you are brand new, i wouldn't worry about mushrooms taking over...you might actually like that (red or green, avoid yuma). Same for pulsing zena and green star polyps. I personally had mixed results with some leathers as a newb but the kenya tree is hardy.

Giant claims are also a lot easier to keep than people think (but they aren't cheap).

Ive found Duncans to be tough.

Avoid acans, they are not as easy as people say...blastos however are pretty easy.

If you are successful early on you might try graduating to torch and frogspaws, but i would avoid hammers.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some live rock in that tank. A few pounds from the LFS of well cured live rock will add a nice amount of biodiversity in sponges, pods, worms, and other great microfauna that will benefit the system.
Folks forget that now. Sterile is in.(dry shps cheaper) It takes a bit longer to mature it seems.
Not necessarily because the cheap route - but have heard many stories (from close friends as well) that have had tank issues from hitchhikers. I wanted to take the safe way, and once again - love seeing things develop from early age instead of starting w/ something ready.

+ on Zoas (they are hard to kill) Since you are brand new, i wouldn't worry about mushrooms taking over...you might actually like that (red or green, avoid yuma). Same for pulsing zena and green star polyps. I personally had mixed results with some leathers as a newb but the kenya tree is hardy.

Giant claims are also a lot easier to keep than people think (but they aren't cheap).

Ive found Duncans to be tough.

Avoid acans, they are not as easy as people say...blastos however are pretty easy.

If you are successful early on you might try graduating to torch and frogspaws, but i would avoid hammers.
Thanks! Will look into them!

zoas will take over
Many thanks on all the reference images!

GPS for sure. Just put it on the sand so it doesn't take over. I like pulsing xenia, too. And zoas and palys, but I'd avoid any with the word "death" in their name.
Thanks!

If you like the "swaying in the wind" I would look at a Frogspawn or Hammer coral. They will move with flow, and are also relatively inexpensive and easy.
Awesome, really cool. Thank you very much!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily because the cheap route - but have heard many stories (from close friends as well) that have had tank issues from hitchhikers. I wanted to take the safe way, and once again - love seeing things develop from early age instead of starting w/ something ready.
Not directed at you just an in general. Theres many reasons to use live rock, and the correct usage and care of it has become a bit of a lost art. Just different.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all dry rock for the base of my stack and then added about 15lbs of live rock to help seed. Within 3 months everything was colored up nice and I had a wonderful population of pods.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all dry rock for the base of my stack and then added about 15lbs of live rock to help seed. Within 3 months everything was colored up nice and I had a wonderful population of pods.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll see if I can get the LFS to sell me one that's inside a tank w/ fish or coral already.

Not too found of the LR they're selling. The only stuff with color is that man-made reef 2.1 stuff.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you only have 1 LFS? I was really picky about live rock...wanted to make sure it was the right shape and most importantly, wanted to make sure it was coming out of a clean tank.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you only have 1 LFS? I was really picky about live rock...wanted to make sure it was the right shape and most importantly, wanted to make sure it was coming out of a clean tank.
Ya only got 1 in town. Next one isn't too far, 30 min drive - but same deal. They just get their LR and let them sit while customers purchase. I don't really see any Q.C. going on in that section.

I'm sure if I'm pushing enough I could get them to get me one from a current tank instead of their pile of idk-what-is-going-on-in-there

Get some Pulsating Xenia and watch it take over
so many awesome ones to choose from! :D

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did...I picked live rock from their fish display tanks...for $8 per pound, I figured I should get what I want :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back