Best dwarf angels

Mattyice572

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have much experience on these beautiful creatures
Ive kept 2 in the past, 1 was in a 75 gal fish only and didnt bother any of the tank mates and come feeding time was always a good eater. And i kept 1 in a 40 gal reef i had, i bought it at a store i was working in at 1.5” and always kept it well fed and it never picked at any of my corals but any angelfish can decimate a reef if it decides it likes the taste of corals more than what youre offering up. Certain frozen angel fish foods contain sponge which is a part of their natural diet so keep that in mind if you want the fish to be happy and fat

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept 2 in the past, 1 was in a 75 gal fish only and didnt bother any of the tank mates and come feeding time was always a good eater. And i kept 1 in a 40 gal reef i had, i bought it at a store i was working in at 1.5” and always kept it well fed and it never picked at any of my corals but any angelfish can decimate a reef if it decides it likes the taste of corals more than what youre offering up. Certain frozen angel fish foods contain sponge which is a part of their natural diet so keep that in mind if you want the fish to be happy and fat
Ok. Thank you very much. It’ll be a fish only tank. So the corals won’t be an issue. However I will focus on getting the correct food for it though.

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub angel, model fish , great personality, never picks corals, for many people the only angel for any type of reef tank

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191012_220541_219.jpg

Wouldnt recommend as a first dwarf angem, but once you have more experience and a more mature aquarium the paracentropyge are my favourites. Nips coral but no damage is done, seems to like gorgonians and psammocoras lol.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept Potters back in the day. So beautiful.

Currently have Flame Angel, Bicolor, and Coral Beauty in my 300g. Added Coral beauty later the Flame angel was constantly beating it up badly that it got pop eye on the first day. I had to put her in the sump until she recovered. The Flame angels and Flamebacks are the bullies of the dwarf angels from my experience. I really enjoy dwarf angels as they swim all over the place and through rocks and caves etc.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect. Thank you very much for input. I truly appreciate it. If you think of anything else regarding the coral beauty, please do not hesitate to let me know

Not really much else to be said. They are generally hardy, generally good community fish, have lots of color that can pop different colors under your lights (at times mine appears sapphire blue, at times purple and sometimes you can see magenta on it's head) and although they don't stand out from a distance the way some others do they have an amazing diversity of color when you study them a bit. Add in the lower cost factor and they make a good all around choice. I am certainly much happier with my CB than I was with my Flame, that is for sure.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub angel, model fish , great personality, never picks corals, for many people the only angel for any type of reef tank

I want one bad but I don't think it's bold enough to compete with my stocking. Great looking little angel imo

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty and Centropyge flavicauda never nipped corals. The Centropyge flavicauda is very aggressive to anything added to the tank. Took several months to be out while i was in the room. Would eat but take a piece go back to cave, and repeat. I probably will not get another one. But doesnt touch my sps, euphylia, gorgs, mushrooms, or goniporas. Does a decent job eating algae off my rocks and glass. Liked my biospinea’s temperament better and actually came to the glass to greet me.

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had flame angel before, good experience. But my vote goes to gold flake angelfish. This fish been in my system for about 7 months now, model citizen with great personality :)

C35E5051-8EC5-4A74-ABBD-7E9C64A2272D.jpeg
He’s definitely a beauty. For that colour of angel, I’m on the bubble between this one and the Rock Beauty ( captive bred so less finicky eating )

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty and Centropyge flavicauda never nipped corals. The Centropyge flavicauda is very aggressive to anything added to the tank. Took several months to be out while i was in the room. Would eat but take a piece go back to cave, and repeat. I probably will not get another one. But doesnt touch my sps, euphylia, gorgs, mushrooms, or goniporas. Does a decent job eating algae off my rocks and glass. Liked my biospinea’s temperament better and actually came to the glass to greet me.
I just read that it’s very territorial to other dwarf angels. I’m looking to 4-5 dwarfs. Do you feel that it would more then likely attack them and the other fish ( anthias, wrasse, clowns, tangs and bigger angels) ?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had flame angel before, good experience. But my vote goes to gold flake angelfish. This fish been in my system for about 7 months now, model citizen with great personality :)

C35E5051-8EC5-4A74-ABBD-7E9C64A2272D.jpeg
Are those considered dwarf angels though? They're nice but pricey.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read that it’s very territorial to other dwarf angels. I’m looking to 4-5 dwarfs. Do you feel that it would more then likely attack them and the other fish ( anthias, wrasse, clowns, tangs and bigger angels) ?
Shes very territorial to any new fish that enters a spot she calls hers. More so with any algae eaters. first attempt to add a fish was a perc clownfish, had to give back. Only way I was able to add anything was adding multiple fish at the same time. can add inverts, pays no attention to shrimp Or anything that’s not a fish.

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always have been a fan of the Potter’s Angel. Have one in my reef right now. Not a recommended reef fish but this guys been a good citizen so far. ...Knocks on wood...

321B2852-3730-49B9-96F8-4CA2C257ACF7.jpeg
I’m really liking the Potter. No issues getting it to eat or acclimatize?

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shes very territorial to any new fish that enters a spot she calls hers. More so with any algae eaters. first attempt to add a fish was a perc clownfish, had to give back. Only way I was able to add anything was adding multiple fish at the same time. can add inverts, pays no attention to shrimp Or anything that’s not a fish.
So you would definitely recommend it to be put in last?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back