OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing any ill effects? I do run phosguard as a precaution, but now that my tank is 5 years old, I have no algae issues so I doubt I even need the phosguard. Don't chase numbers if your tank is happy.
No algae issues. Just a few corals that aren't fully extending. Frogspawn, pulsing xenia (small frag) and banana hammock stick. Most all critters are healthy.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not Chemi-pure? And do you think I can get away without a reactor? I like keep equipment and clutter to a minimum.

it’s mostly carbon with only a little tiny bit of GFO and it’s tiny bags. So it probably won’t have any impact.

It works better in a reactor. GFO is very fine and tumbles slowly.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware. We'll He**. lol
I was dosing it once a week but when I did my phosphate went from .1 to .3 I was broadcast feeding it per the instructions. Perhaps direct feeding might reduce the high phosphate number from it. It raised it as much as reef roids does.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not Chemi-pure? And do you think I can get away without a reactor? I like keep equipment and clutter to a minimum.
A reactor is most efficient, otherwise make sure the bag of gfo is in a high flow area. Maybe put the bag in your filter sox.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not feed heavy at all. I was using a powdered coral food only once per week. Also feed Brightwell marine snow Reef Nutrition Phyto-Feast about once per week. As directed. I feed my clowns mostly Omega One pellets.

This is a re-booted system as I bought it used. I am guessing it's from re-using the sand! Although I did rinse it multiple times until it was as clean as I could get it!
Phosphate binds to rock and substrate, so in a reboot you may be dealing with some historical problems. If before you got it, Phosphate was high, it might leach out of rocks for a while.
How long has the reboot been running?

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate binds to rock and substrate, so in a reboot you may be dealing with some historical problems. If before you got it, Phosphate was high, it might leach out of rocks for a while.
How long has the reboot been running?
Very true. Apparently about 1.5 years and was professionally maintained as it was in the hallway of a corporate office.

Reboot has been running since mid December of 2021.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used gfo, phosgaurd, and carbon in a reactor.
Worked well but was going through alot of media.
My 120 now has a 30g remote fuge and I am using no po4 reducing media and po4 runs around .05.

Im not a fan of light in a sump, but, my 45 frag system with 40 breeder sump has a small led and cheato, ogo, and DB from my 30g fuge. Po4 is running .06ish since removing a small reactor with above said media.

So I am now a total believer in the fuge method as long as its sized accordingly.

No3 run <3 in all systems.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 now has a 30g remote fuge and I am using no po4 reducing media and po4 runs around .05.

Im not a fan of light in a sump, but, my 45 frag system with 40 breeder sump has a small led and cheato, ogo, and DB from my 30g fuge. Po4 is running .06ish since removing a small reactor with above said media.

So I am now a total believer in the fuge method as long as its sized accordingly.

How long are you lighting your fuge? I'm running 12 hours. Chaeto grows like weeds but not seeing significant impact on my nutrients export yet.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose MB7 every day or once a week?
That's a good point. I started using PNS probio which is a natural bacteria that also reduces phosphate but man it has cleaned up my tank beautiful. Sand is white. Filter socks stay clean a whole week.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

952CD45C-251E-4FA1-93C1-D54ED0A7FB87.jpeg

Same here, I agree! once I started refugium my po4 is .04-.08.

I took gfo offline but I still run carbon for water clarity

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you lighting your fuge? I'm running 12 hours. Chaeto grows like weeds but not seeing significant impact on my nutrients export yet.
It runs the same as my display 9 hrs on the 120 and 8 hrs on my frag system.
Cheato grows like a weed and ogo is in second place. DB is a slow grower in my system.
Get some ogo and see if that helps.
How gif is your system and fuge?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, how are you testing and with what kit?

I went thru the thread and didn't see any mention our make of test kit.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back