Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

Peterock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't used a heater in years on my 72 bowfront. I run halides but the tank is my my living room and I was always scared to run one without a controller. I'm hoping to get a controller for Xmass, and will add one for more stability then. I'm also getting 2 LED units so the tank may need more heat without the halides.

KC-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Finnex Titanium Heating Elements with either Finnex or Blueline temp controller. Never had any issues. Definitely worth the extra money.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW mixed reviews so far!

Yup heaters always seem like a tough review since someone has always has a problem with one of them. I went with the one with the least amount of bad reviews that i could find. Ehiem Jager. (Knocks on wood) It has been a champ!

atlantisaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got fed up with glass heaters although I might try one with a controll set just a hair over what the controller is set for. I only buy via aqua now. They have a digital read of the temp on an external controller and the temp probe is separate from the titanium heating element. The only gripe I have with them is that they reset to 79 of the power is cut to them although this works out because I have it on a digital aquatic controller set to 77 so in the rare event it malfunctions it will only heat to a couple degrees over.

capysolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best heaters I've used to date would be Rena Cal. Had 2 200w that I've used since day one, 6+ years ago. I let one go with a tank that i sold, but the other is still in use in my 70. For the first 4 years, i didn't use a controller for the heaters, only my chiller. Got rid of the chiller, so put the heaters on the Ranco controller. That crapped out, so i got my apex. Now it's a match made in aquarium heaven! Rena Cal heater + Apex forever! :D

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers are important since heaters most likely will stick on at some point. A reefkeeper or other is not in my budget so I use heaters that come with a controller or add one for about $30. These small controllers function by setting the heater to the highest setting (or just over what you want to be safe) so it is on all the time. The controller has a probe to measure the tank temperature and turns off the electricity to the heater when the temp is reached. It is cheaper to buy a good heater with controller than to add the extra cost of a controller to one but I had some old heaters that were stuck on all the time so I bought one. Read the fine print since these controllers are rated for a certain wattage, some at 300 watts so could not be used for a heater over that. Mine is rated at 1000 watts.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have way too much stuff to not have a controller, controller+1

7Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Blueline 500w controlled by a Reef Keeper

I suffered failures of 3 Finnex titanium, 2 500w and an 800w

All a titanium heater is, is a glass heater inserted in a metal tube and sealed on both ends.

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used the ebo jagers without any problems I've heard that the finnex are also good heaters. What are the blue line heaters.

BTW the Rheims now have an adjustment on the heaters to make them more precise.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like there are many choices for a good heater!

Back