Best way to repair a broken hinge?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6" derasa has a broken hinge. Not exactly sure how it happened, but I want to try and fix it.
I've seen a few threads where people suggested using rubber bands and glue. Is that the best way? Or do you clam gurus have some other trick?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully others with more experience will comment for you here, but until then:

The rubberband and glue seems to be the most commonly suggested method, and when done properly seems to work.
Based on the very limited research on clam prosthetics that I've been able to find, it looks like you would want to provide essentially two mounts (one on each side of the clam's shell by the hinge) and then connect them with a solid but flexible bridge of some kind - the thread you commented on yesterday used two 3D printed mounts held on by hot glue/super glue with a rubber band as the bridge, a professional aquarium with a video up on YouTube used basically a stainless steel coat hanger that was twisted into a figure eight to act as both the mounts and the bridge and they held it on with a two part epoxy.

I'd try to follow that general process (two mounts and a semi-flexible bridge) and then just offer physical support (probably by bracing the sides of the clam's shell halves with rocks) to try and help so the clam doesn't have to hold quite as much weight on it's own while it's recovering.

It seems like you could literally just super glue one rock to each shell half and hook a bunch of rubber bands (or one stronger rubber band) between the two and use that as temporary hinge for the clam while the clam recovers. I don't know how well it would work, but I agree that it'd be worth a shot to try.

Also, based on the very limited research on the regenerative abilities of injured Tridacnid clams (and dependent on the severity of the injury), I'd assume that if the clam is able to recover successfully, you'd likely be looking at a minimum of 3 months recovery (I'd guess closer to 6 or 9, but that's a complete guess - again very limited research has - to my knowledge - been done on this topic).
And thread referenced above:

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fabric mesh sounds like a good idea!

How about an actual plastic hinge? From one of those plastic boxes you buy fasteners in.

20231116_124720.jpg
20231116_125047.jpg

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went ahead with the rubber band trick. Hopefully it can heal. Seems like the band tension needs to be just right. At least it's easily adjustable this way.
20231116_132658.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good thing about clam anatomy is the fact that their muscles are designed to keep the clam open in a resting position and they only use certain muscles in order to close.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SamMule how this clam doing Sam? My derasa has a broken hinge and I'm considering trying a repair but have been told the clams usually die after suffering a broken hinge even if repaired. Mine seem healthy otherwise but has trouble staying up right so I have to prop it up.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think we can repair a broke hinge of a clam, but if we can fashion something that hold the ligament and shell together and allow for it to close and open it's shells. Hopefully it will repair the hinge (heal) after a time.
To function appropriately, the prosthetic hinge must have tension to open the shell with the muscle of the clam pull the shell shut when it want to close.
Good luck. Keep us update either way.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still alive! Seems to be doing alright. Although, has trouble staying upright. I put it in the sand bed of my 75g, and it will attach to the bottom, but seems to fall over after a few days.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to change the rubber band every so often? Rubber band tend to degrade in salt water and fall apart every few weeks or so.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, haven't changed it as of yet. Been holding up pretty good so far. After resetting the clam, it will be open and happy for a week or so.... then it ends up tipping over and just kinda half opens.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think we can repair a broke hinge of a clam, but if we can fashion something that hold the ligament and shell together and allow for it to close and open it's shells. Hopefully it will repair the hinge (heal) after a time.
To function appropriately, the prosthetic hinge must have tension to open the shell with the muscle of the clam pull the shell shut when it want to close.
Good luck. Keep us update either way.

Actually, haven't changed it as of yet. Been holding up pretty good so far. After resetting the clam, it will be open and happy for a week or so.... then it ends up tipping over and just kinda half opens.
I was gonna give up on mine but have nothing to loose so will try to fabricate something. This derasa is the first clam I've kept alive after figuring out I needed more light for them. Its probably 6 inches at the widest point and was only 2-3 inches when purchased. I just moved it to this rock with the maximas and propped it up. I'll be tearing this tank down soon so I'll come up with something more permanent to keep it upright when I move it. I'll update here if that's ok @SamMule ?
PXL_20240421_191102118.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's that clam today. Actually surprised the frogspawn isn't irritating it. The thing sure as heck gives me a rash.
1000012265.jpg
Looking good.
I think mine is going south. It hasn't opened at all in a couple of days. I thought they open when they die but I'm not positive. I'll probably lift it out today and give it the sniff test.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips or tricks for the calm? Have one on hold pending puck up in a couple weeks.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips or tricks for the calm? Have one on hold pending puck up in a couple weeks.
I just placed my derasa on the sand under 300 par and watched it grow. It probably tripled in size in a bit over a year. Then the broken hinge thing but I think that's just a fluke.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back