Bitten by a tessellata eel

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried? My hand was over the tank whilest putting food in the tube to feed my carnivorous urchin and my eel jumped out, out of nowhere and grabbed a hold of my pinky finger, I washed my hand about 3 times with soap as to avoid any bacterial infection, the pain seems to be subsiding, though, at first it was bleeding a lot but now it seems to have coagulated so, should I still be concerned?

IMG_20240310_201805.jpg

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any eels but have cut myself in the tank. I’m sure you’ll be fine but considering the bacteria colonies and species that can harbor our tanks I wouldn’t forget about it once it heals. If there is any lingering tenderness, pain, or heat I would head to an urgent care or ER without hesitation.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and suggestions guy's I'll wait a bit since it doesn't seem to hurt anymore and has mostly dried, i am also on date with tetanus shots, i might just wipe my wound with some disinfectant/antiseptic since "eel's" are known as exotic animals here and i would assure that 99 percent of doctors here aren't sure or well versed on what an "eel" is, there doesn't seem to be any swelling or tenderness around the area neither does it seem to sting after dripping some antiseptic

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep it clean, dry, and covered is the best thing to do. If you show signs of infection like redness, swelling, or pain then I’d go to the doctor. But since this was two weeks ago how is it now? And what did you do?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried? My hand was over the tank whilest putting food in the tube to feed my carnivorous urchin and my eel jumped out, out of nowhere and grabbed a hold of my pinky finger, I washed my hand about 3 times with soap as to avoid any bacterial infection, the pain seems to be subsiding, though, at first it was bleeding a lot but now it seems to have coagulated so, should I still be concerned?

IMG_20240310_201805.jpg
You should be fine if you keep it clean. Both of my eels have gotten me really bad with no infection issues. Just clean with peroxide every few days (not every day) and you should be good, try to keep your hand out of the tank while it heals.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually just had a trigger try to take my pinky finger earlier today lol. Biggest danger is putting it in the tank water. Keep it clean and keep a waterproof bandaid on is what I usually do and no issues with either eel or trigger bites!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine if you keep it clean. Both of my eels have gotten me really bad with no infection issues. Just clean with peroxide every few days (not every day) and you should be good, try to keep your hand out of the tank while it heals.
I literally soaked my hand in a antiseptic Lol, it's healed now so no worries, thanks for the info!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it clean, dry, and covered is the best thing to do. If you show signs of infection like redness, swelling, or pain then I’d go to the doctor. But since this was two weeks ago how is it now? And what did you do?
I soaked my pinky finger in a antiseptic just once and now it's completely healed/closed!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 78.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.5%
Back